The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Default Question for THR10 owners

I'm looking at a low-volume personal amp for my electric guitar, with the decision down to the Vox Adio Air GT or the Yamaha THR10. With the THR10, can you play a Youtube video (backing track) so it goes through your amp and then also play the guitar through the same amp? If so, can you control the volume separately for the backing track and guitar so you get a decent mix? (It looks like you might be able to to use 1/8 cables to go from your computer headphone jack to the THR's aux input, but I'm not sure on this.)

Also, if you can do this, does it work well?

Last edited by Johann; 01-21-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM

I owned a THR5 and did exactly what you're looking to do. It worked great! The THR10 DOES HAVE an independent volume control for the AUX IN, my THR5 did not.

What a terrific little amp to jam with, record with, heck I'd even take mine to large gigs and patch it into the FOH PA system. Everyone asked, "dude, where is your amp? It sounds killer!" I'd point to the lunchbox sized box and they couldn't believe it.

With the THR10, you also get to store a few presets. And, there's a THR Libarian app for Android worth checking out.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Yes, it works exactly as you described. Just run an 1/8" cable between the computer and THR10 and there is a separate AUX volume knob.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:51 PM

Works well that way except for the excessively loud and obnoxious commercials.
A real fun amp, especially for it's size.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the input. Has anyone heard if Yamaha is updating or supplanting the THR10 this year? It's been out for a lot of years.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 PM

I'd love to see a 30 watt combo of the THR. They make a 100 watt head and a 100 watt dual head that is a killer amp. I would really like to see something in between the THR lunchbox amps and the head in a combo suitable for small gigging and still having the USB capability.

Not sure if you are familiar with the line, but there is the off white model, a green one, a black one all for electric guitar. Then there is the gold THR5a for acoustics.

As for a newer model, I have yet to hear anything.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'd love to see a 30 watt combo of the THR. They make a 100 watt head and a 100 watt dual head that is a killer amp. I would really like to see something in between the THR lunchbox amps and the head in a combo suitable for small gigging and still having the USB capability.

Not sure if you are familiar with the line, but there is the off white model, a green one, a black one all for electric guitar. Then there is the gold THR5a for acoustics.

As for a newer model, I have yet to hear anything.
I did my research when I was looking for the best battery powered "travel/bedside table" amp and ended up with a THR5. I was and am still blown away by it. I have yet to play a 10 (and I assume it's great too) but I think the 5 or 10 is the best way to test pickups. This thing seems to replicate exactly what your pickups sound like from clean to dirty.

So I recently traded my loved Fender bassman Ltd (50watt) for a THR100HD. I love it, I have yet to gig with it to see if it will be loud enough but I'm fairly confident it will be. The thing is I can turn it up to 10 with no problem in my bedroom but my bassman I couldn't turn past maybe 4 without blowing out my windows.

? I have for anyone is what are the default setting for the THR100HD as far as booster? Which color is preset? I'm having trouble hooking up my computer to get in there. Thanks
Old 02-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
I'm looking at a low-volume personal amp for my electric guitar, with the decision down to the Vox Adio Air GT or the Yamaha THR10. With the THR10, can you play a Youtube video (backing track) so it goes through your amp and then also play the guitar through the same amp? If so, can you control the volume separately for the backing track and guitar so you get a decent mix? (It looks like you might be able to to use 1/8 cables to go from your computer headphone jack to the THR's aux input, but I'm not sure on this.)

Also, if you can do this, does it work well?
Yes, and I'm still totally satisfied with mine even though the industry always seems to be making great stuff in this niche.

What's maybe hard to convey or describe is how good is is for satisfaction with practice and low volume playing in addition to being so very tunable for different sorts of input and devices. It's the amp that makes playing a pleasure while the rest of the house has someone doing homework or sleeping. I believe it's the schema of the stereo speakers and tuned cabinet that does it.

Two other things that have stood out since my purchase of an early model are Yamaha had a software upgrade when other things I bought never did, and it has very nice physical build and feel.

Other small solid state amps and practice device purchases still kept me interested in what else is out there. The THR and my Trio+ left me satisfied in ways others did not.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Default Thr10

As others have noted the aux in works really well.

The THR is one of the best guitar purchases I have ever made - I run mine on rechargeable eneloop batteries and take it with me when I travel.

I like the THR10 so much I also bought the THR10C. If I could only pick one I would stick with the THR10 - it’s much more versatile.

You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by candyman; 02-05-2019 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Typos!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman View Post
As others have noted the aux in works really well.

The THR is one of the best guitar purchases I have ever made - I run mine on rechargeable eneloop batteries and take it with me when I travel.

I like the THR10 so much I also bought the THR10C. If I could only pick one I would stick with the THR10 - it’s much more versatile.

You will not be disappointed.
Do you know if there's a big volume difference between the THR5 and 10? What other differences are there? I love my 5 and I love my THR100HD
Old 02-05-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Do you know if there's a big volume difference between the THR5 and 10? What other differences are there? I love my 5 and I love my THR100HD
I think they are the same output and speakers but you lose a lot of functionality with the 5 -1 tone knob vs 3 knob eq, no bass/acoustic/flat eq amp settings and no volume control for the aux in. There might be more but I almost certain the output is the same.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I think they are the same output and speakers but you lose a lot of functionality with the 5 -1 tone knob vs 3 knob eq, no bass/acoustic/flat eq amp settings and no volume control for the aux in. There might be more but I almost certain the output is the same.
That's it. When I got mine both were set up to try in a pretty decent store - regional family-owned chain, relatively quiet and not a Guitar Center zoo. I thought the 5 based on the sound being the same. The guy in the store stood pretty firm on why I should get the 10 because of the adjustability. He was right and I'll remember that when I change either of the input adjustments and so easily shape the tone to be pleasant.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Almost got one of these until i read about the THR10C and the X. Then there's the Vox Adio that looks like a Louis Vuitton purse.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Almost got one of these until i read about the THR10C and the X. Then there's the Vox Adio that looks like a Louis Vuitton purse.
I recommend the THR10 if you're going to use it with a variety of guitars - I found it a little more versatile than the THR10C (I've never tried a THR10X or the Adio).
Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I recommend the THR10 if you're going to use it with a variety of guitars - I found it a little more versatile than the THR10C (I've never tried a THR10X or the Adio).
I have the 10c and really enjoy it. I never tried the 10. I’m just curious what advantages do you see in the original THR10 vs the 10c? Is it just that you can get a dirtier sound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars