The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-12-2023, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Rebecca Urlacher Concert (Tunnel 14 Redwood / Claro Walnut) *video added*

Hey AGF,

I’m super thrilled to have received the first handful of photos from the build process of a new guitar that Rebecca and I dreamed up a few months ago! These photos of the soundbox closed and the timbers she selected were definitely a lovely surprise the other morning. Nature never ceases to wow me…

Many here may remember the build thread back in 2020 of my first Urlacher - a Cedar/Indian Concert model. I wrote many tunes, uploaded many videos and played many gigs with it and feel grateful that it went to a fellow AGFer who I can call a dear friend. Last I checked he was still very much in love with the guitar and had no plans to sell it. I believe that guitar had something special to it, as it convinced a few others to commission with Rebecca after they had the chance to play it at shows such as B.I.G and La Conner. Not many builders I am aware of can coax headroom and clarity out of a Cedar top like Rebecca, that’s for sure!

Other than the sound, the quality I loved most about that build was the playability and “form” of it - by that I mean the combination of uber-precise fretwork, neck carve/edges, fingerboard profile and just the overall way it felt on my lap or when standing with a strap at gigs. Many of you know that I am a repeat client of Marc Beneteau and I love his overall setup as well - it just works well for me - but the Urlacher felt completely “edgeless” and when taking solos or performing challenging pieces it was noticeably more in tune with my hand than my Beneteau. They were both setup with the same action, neck angle, etc, so I still don’t know what exactly the “thing” was, but I knew I wanted it back in the arsenal.

The purpose and vision of this guitar is very similar to what I had in mind when taking the leap of faith on the previous Cedar build, but this time around I am thinking more about live performance and again, a new dimension of sound/frequencies.

The Woods:
For the soundboard we chose a remarkably nice set of Tunnel 14 Redwood - an obvious close relative to Tunnel 13, both of which I’ve had the pleasure of acquainting several times at Cedar Rock - and a beautiful set of Claro Walnut for the back and sides. My favorite redwood guitars have always been paired with Walnut. That’s obviously not to say I find them superior to Redwood/Dalbergia guitars, which have also blown me away, but redwood just seems to do a thing with Walnut that I really enjoy. There is a sweetness when you go up the neck - the midrange presence gets stronger and smoother the higher up you fret, almost like an electric guitar. I recall my first Redwood guitar purchase - a 15” Goodall RGC paired with Indian rosewood - and how I never had to hit the boost pedal while taking solos at my live performances. That guitar blew me away at the time because of how much midrange and smoothness it gave to the occasional “steeliness” of rosewood on a 15” sized guitar. This quality that redwood seems to exhibit is amplified when you pair it with Walnut or Mahogany - woods that are known for their balanced bass, and strong midrange.

My goal or hope of this guitar is not to outshine my other guitars - as has sometimes been the case with previous builds I have commissioned - rather, it is to inspire me to go to new places with my songwriting and at the same time be an absolute powerhouse when plugged in at gigs.

Walnut and mahogany are such great tonewood choices for live guitars because they don’t produce as much information in the 10k+ range or below 100hz like rosewoods or other super dense woods like African Blackwood. When you are amplified, you (or the sound man) can push and pull frequencies to suit the room, so a lot of times it is good to have a somewhat “flat” guitar. (Think Tommy Emmanuel’s Sitka/Maple Maton, Don Ross’ Cedar/Mahogany Beneteau, Jackson Browne's Gibson) these are of course MASSIVE sounding guitars, as I expect this Urlacher to be, but in general I have indeed found that uber-responsive guitars with orchestral frequency ranges do create problems at high volumes, or in poorly treated rooms, as you will need to cut exaggerated frequencies, and with a lot of bass response from a light top/active back you set yourself up for the guitar humming or howling with feedback at dynamic parts of any given song. The 8k+ frequencies you will likely hear more of on Cedar/Swiss moon Spruce guitars also tends to be amplified (especially if you use 5-20% microphone signal in your guitar, as I do) causing sometimes unnecessary crispiness or an even hollow sound.

Whew! That’s alot. Of course at the end of the day these are simply my experiences taken from playing 1500+ shows and talking to other touring acts that also perform with great, handmade guitars. All of this to say, I predict this build from Rebecca to be acoustically sweet and responsive all up and down the fingerboard, but also have the ideal “manners” of a great live-guitar. It'll be a welcome addition to the stable and I cannot wait to hear the “woodiness” of it’s voice that isn’t as present in the more ethereal-sounding rosewood guitars here, currently.

Here are the spec’s we worked out:

-Top: Tunnel 14 Redwood
-Back/sides: Claro Walnut
-Neck: Semi-gloss/smooth satin finish
-Tuners: Gotoh 510 gold w/ black buttons
-Body Binding: Brazilian Rosewood w/ maple purfling
-Fingerboard: Brazilian Rosewood
-Bridge: Brazilian Rosewood

-Nut width: 1.78” (Nut string-spacing 1 9/16”)
-Bridge spacing: 2.31”
-Scale Length: 25”
-Fretwire: Evo Gold
-16’ fingerboard radius
-Fingerboard widths: 1st fret: 1.81” // 9th fret: 2.16” // 14th fret: 2.28”
-Neck depths: 1st fret: 0.84” // 7th fret: 0.88” // 9th fret: 0.89”
-Neck girths: 1st fret: 4.56” // 9th fret: 5.25”
-4.25” deep sides

Additional requests:
-Florentine Cutaway
-Soundport
-Microbevel
-Fingerboard side markers up to 21st fret
-Clear pickguard to prevent nail dings
-Gold or wood strap pin, wood strap endpin

Here is the “My Favorite Luthiers” episode that I produced with Karlijn Langendijk, a Dutch fingerstyle-guitarist who owns a German/Camatillo concert cutaway from Rebecca.

Also two videos of the first Redwood/Indian Concert build that I played from Rebecca at Cedar Rock some years ago. Very different behavior than my Cedar build, but somehow the same voice. Almost like a non-identical guitar twin sibling.

Lastly, a lovely excerpt from Rebecca’s website that I somehow missed! Very cool to read these nods to other great builders who’s work I would gladly put Rebecca’s in the same class as.

“Turning 50 Years And 50 Guitars In February, 2022

While turning 50 years old this month, I’ll be stringing up my 50th Urlacher Guitar. There are a lot of things I could write about for this post but I keep coming back to gratitude. Gratitude that I found my way into guitar building 20 years ago which has been a magical journey and big part of my life. Being “self-taught” does not mean I have taught myself. It does mean that I’ve had to piece my education together. I have extreme gratitude for these individuals that I’ve met along the way who have supported, guided, inspired and instructed.

Larry Davis – from the very start, providing me with amazing woods and giving me necessary nudges along the way to “get my work out there”.

Dustin Furlow – for recognizing my guitars in a sea of beautiful and inspiring handmade instruments. It is beyond rewarding to hear you play on an Urlacher Guitar.

Butch Boswell – someone I share daily joys and successes of guitar building with, and also the hardships that we all experience in this business. Guitar building is not easy! Butch is among the very best at problem solving and building guitars that play flawlessly. His depth of knowledge and eye for detail are second to none. Butch’s friendship has been invaluable.

Larry Pattis – a friend not only in guitar building and music, but in all areas of life. Larry’s music has been a constant sweet reminder over the years, “why I build guitars”.

Anders Sterner – the most talented and kind human being I’ve had the pleasure to get to know. I met Anders after having built only a couple guitars. At this time I had no intention to continue guitar building as a lifelong passion. Anders opened up a world of possibilities for me. Even though Anders and I build completely different instruments (classical vs. steel-string), my “sound” has derived from ideas and concepts that Anders and I have discussed over the years. Anders’ support and influence have been monumental.

LUTHIER INSPIRATION

Ervin Somogyi – a leader and teacher. Work that has influenced so many builders including myself. Grateful to have spent a little time at the Somogyi shop learning ideas of what it takes to build a responsive guitar *and* to hear one of Ervin’s incredible instruments with my own ears.

Leo Buendia – building the finest examples, in my opinion, of what a guitar can be both aesthetically and tonally. Creative and inspiring designs coupled with impeccable craftsmanship. It is less difficult to build a great guitar when you have first seen and heard what a great guitar looks and sounds like.
Ben Wilborn – a positive force in this field. I love talking to Ben at shows and of course getting to hear Frog & Toad perform on Ben’s innovative Wilborn creations.

Kathy Wingert – always willing to share ideas and experiences. Learning of Kathy’s work was important to me when starting out. Back in 2002, there were just a small handful of women building guitars and being recognized in the world of lutherie. Kathy was proof that a women *can* do this.”

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

Last edited by Dustinfurlow; 12-29-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

This looks like it will be an amazing guitar, Dustin.

I look forward to following along and seeing it come to fruition as well as hear you do your magic with it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:22 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share with us Dustin. This should be a zing instrument for sure! I love the rosette!
Old 04-12-2023, 05:40 PM

Wonderful to read your extensive post and learn about this new project, Dustin! This will surely be a remarkable guitar and a thread that I promise to follow!!

Hope you are doing well and getting out there! Happy Spring!

Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-12-2023, 11:57 PM

That's another gorgeous guitar Dustin. You have impeccable taste!
Old 04-13-2023, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

You folks are super kind, thank you. Can’t wait for the next batch of photos. I can already hear (and smell) the guitar in my mind!!

Old 04-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Looking at the pics the anticipation must be KILLING you! The esthetic is very balanced and the rosette is especially fine to my eye.
Congrats on a stellar instrument in your future.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Great opening post for an inspirational thread, Dustin. Thanks for sharing and keeping the flame of refinement aglow.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-16-2023, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck57 View Post
Looking at the pics the anticipation must be KILLING you! The esthetic is very balanced and the rosette is especially fine to my eye.
Congrats on a stellar instrument in your future.
Thank you! It'll be a palette cleanser from all this dang spruce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Great opening post for an inspirational thread, Dustin. Thanks for sharing and keeping the flame of refinement aglow.
Thanks Deft

Old 06-09-2023, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Was lovely to demo Rebecca's work at La Conner a few weeks ago. Both the Cedar/Malaysian Blackwood Concert cutaway and Adi/Brazilian 00 she brought were stellar as expected. Superlative fingerstyle guitars.

Here's a small update to my build that'll be done this summer, showing the book matched Claro Walnut head veneer we picked out and glimpse of the Brazilian rosewood microbevel. Can't fathom how pretty this stuff will look once the finish goes on.

I've sent Rebecca the neck profile drawing and expect to have another update in the coming weeks

Old 06-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that is going to sound amazing in your hands! And you write as eloquently about guitars as you play them!
Old 06-10-2023, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

That's already a beautiful guitar. I really like the rosette and headstock overlay. They fit the guitar - perfectly.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Wow, that is going to sound amazing in your hands! And you write as eloquently about guitars as you play them!
Super kind of you...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That's already a beautiful guitar. I really like the rosette and headstock overlay. They fit the guitar - perfectly.
I have to agree, I was curious if walnut would be a good choice for the front instead of using Brazilian Rosewood to echo the fingerboard and bridge - I saw the figure and couldn't resist.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Super kind of you...thanks!

I have to agree, I was curious if walnut would be a good choice for the front instead of using Brazilian Rosewood to echo the fingerboard and bridge - I saw the figure and couldn't resist.
In my opinion you chose wisely!

I am awaiting my walnut/tunnel 14 build to start and I’m leaning toward a 1 piece walnut headstock veneer. Your pictures are going to make my wait even more brutal! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Just about ready for finish! Rebecca let me know this will be finished in September if all goes well. I'll have this baby at Woodstock, for sure!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop