The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Will Martin's modern deluxe's stand the test of time?

Or will they become a bit of a weird phase in Martin's history?

FWIW, I played the D18MD and it did sound great IMHO...
Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 PM

I'll tell you in ten years.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

It'll sell ok for 5-10 years. Then they'll have to reinvent something super similar (just like the Marquis --> Modern Deluxe upgrade) with a few 2029 popular features. The market loves that classic Martin tone, and the market has a ceaseless craving for something new. They'll chase the market as they've always done. The Modern Deluxe series does that brilliantly and should sell well as a result. Once people realize it basically has the same new skinny neck as all the other Martins with a sitka top and synthetic bridge plate, it'll be on to something new.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Martin arguably does one thing better than just about any other large-scale manufacturer - make traditional-looking/-sounding acoustic guitars...

Absent a world-class in-house luthier like Andy Powers or Ren Ferguson providing guidance and direction - unfortunately their last real design innovations all saw the light of day by 1935 - the inevitable result will be grasping at straws seeking to be ever-so-trendy (can you say ALternative...? )...

They're still capable of making instruments that are second to none, at any price - I've seen some Authentics that qualify, and if I didn't find the neck such a bear to handle I probably would have found a way to snap up that first-run '37 D-18A that wound up in the late Stan Jay's personal stash - but IMO the Modern Deluxe isn't one of them, and I doubt they'll be regarded any more favorably in years to come. Frankly, they'd be better-served finding a way to spread some of that Authentic/Marquis mojo to the low-/mid-line offerings on a permanent basis - rather than killing off these "too much guitar for the money" models under the premise of "poor sales"...
Old 09-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Look at the d-18 since 2012, I wouldn’t buy anything before!
Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 PM

coolhand asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
Will Martin's modern deluxe's stand the test of time?
Or will they become a bit of a weird phase in Martin's history?

Cool, only time will tell or possibly COULD tell. We simply don't know.

coolhand continued:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
That's the only opinion that should really matter to you.

Personally, I've heard mixed reports on Martin's Modern Deluxe models, but will reserve judgement until I get a chance to play a bunch of different examples - not only in the next few years, but also in years to come.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-16-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
coolhand asked:

Cool, only time will tell or possibly COULD tell. We simply don't know.

coolhand continued:

That's the only opinion that should really matter to you.

Personally, I've heard mixed reports on Martin's Modern Deluxe models, but will reserve judgement until I get a chance to play a bunch of different examples - not only in the next few years, but also in years to come.

Wade Hampton Miller
If it weren't for the skinny, strange neck shape I'd probably consider one...
I've only played one as well but I think there are a few more locally so might go give a couple a strum and see how they go...

They're very light, and I think the VTS and hide glue really push this model along in terms of tone...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 PM

Hard to say, but I think the strongest points of the Modern Deluxe are 1) neck profile (as per the D-28 MD) that it will supplant the current modified low oval, and 2) the carbon fibre bridgeplate will be absorbed into the standard series.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had the opportunity to play any of the MD's but I've been fairly underwhelmed by what I've heard on YT. Not a fair example for sure. When I can try one I will.They seem to be selling well and if sales ares strong Martin will probably continue to build them at least until they "re-release" something else to possibly take their place?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I'll tell you in ten years.
My Magic Eightball said “Perhaps.” My Ouija Board was non-commital. Guess I’ll have to wait and see....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 AM

I played the majority of the upper-end guitars in the Martin Summer NAMM booth and the D-28MD was my second favorite guitar I played that day behind a 1937 D-28 Authentic Aged. I don't understand why people don't like them! I think they play great and sound great, well, that particular one did. I will say that I'll take my D-41 over that MD all day long. If the '37 AA D-28 had a more user-friendly neck, that'd be my favorite guitar I've ever played and I'd be wanting one bad. IMO, I think the Martin faithful get frustrated if Martin tries something new and only wants the pre-war guitar sound. I love my Martin, but they're gonna get left behind if that's all they continue to push.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I played the majority of the upper-end guitars in the Martin Summer NAMM booth and the D-28MD was my second favorite guitar I played that day behind a 1937 D-28 Authentic Aged. I don't understand why people don't like them! I think they play great and sound great, well, that particular one did. I will say that I'll take my D-41 over that MD all day long. If the '37 AA D-28 had a more user-friendly neck, that'd be my favorite guitar I've ever played and I'd be wanting one bad. IMO, I think the Martin faithful get frustrated if Martin tries something new and only wants the pre-war guitar sound. I love my Martin, but they're gonna get left behind if that's all they continue to push.
People do like them. A vendor told me a few months ago Martin is missing order deadlines for the MD series because they are having a hard time keeping up with demand. To my ear, the D-28MD had the best tone of the bunch. They’re nice guitars if you like the neck.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 AM

this reminds me of the days when Martin said they would never put a truss rod in a guitar !

Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
this reminds me of the days when Martin said they would never put a truss rod in a guitar !
Martin guitars have all had truss rods since the 20s.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
People do like them. A vendor told me a few months ago Martin is missing order deadlines for the MD series because they are having a hard time keeping up with demand. To my ear, the D-28MD had the best tone of the bunch. They’re nice guitars if you like the neck.

The D-28MD was my favorite too. I played it, A D-18MD and an OM-28MD and the D-28 stood out from the other two.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion