The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Looking to buy an acoustic guitar for €2000, need some advice

I've a little shy of €2000 to spend on a guitar.

I sold a J45 and bought an Mx-5 (miata) project car but soon realised I missed having a 'nice' guitar other than my fathers.. so I sold the car and I've pulled apart the couch for change.

I would love a Lowden, there's a O-10 from the 1990s for sale (online, can't try it), that might be in my ball park if he was to come down a little.

The thing is I sold my J45 because I found it quite uncomfortable on the couch (where I play 90% of the time), and the 0-10 is bigger again, so I don't know if I'm being a bit foolish and getting led by the name rather than the guitar itself.

There's a Webber Roundbody for sale locally that's in my budget, which could be a great option, it's Indian Rosewood back and sides, with a lot of inlay work.

I want something with note clarity that 'sounds like a piano'.
My father has a D16GT that's a lovely guitar but I want something different.

It's unlikely I'll find a Lowden or a Mcilroy in my price range, what about an Avalon, would they be worth looking into?
Or would I be better going with the webber (granted I like it when I play it).

There's also a local luthier build that's going for around the €1200 mark, it's a used fan-fret, ebony back and sides and a spruce top, it's very unusual and incredibly well priced for what you're getting, it's in driving distance but it's about a 4 hour drive.. and then back.

I'm really not sure what to do, ideally I would like to try whatever guitars I'm looking at but that's not really possible here in Ireland.
Especially when I'm looking at something high end.. but not high end price-wise.

Here's a breakdown of what I want (in no particular order):
Smaller than a dreadnought (or at least more comfortable for the couch),
Ebony fingerboard,
Note clarity/piano sound,
I'd like to stick to Grand Auditorium or the 'Irish' guitar shape found on Lowdens, Mcilroys, Avalons etc.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Sounds like a job for Furch!

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Go to all the guitars shops you can, and keep playing all the samples you find, one will stand out from the rest.
Every person here, has their idea of what's correct, but, that may not be, your idea of what is correct.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Go to all the guitars shops you can, and keep playing all the samples you find, one will stand out from the rest.
Every person here, has their idea of what's correct, but, that may not be, your idea of what is correct.
Sadly there's not many options around me, granted there are some:
One shop sells a number of Lowdens and Mcilroys but I don't have €3000+, I'm in a strange position because most guitars that are for sale in shops nearby (hour or twos drive) are 'cheap' Tanglewoods and Corts, and any really high end stuff comes from that one shop, none of which I can afford sadly.

So I'm looking at second hand, and probably from mainland europe or UK, so I've been trawling through ebay and reverb nonstop on the look out.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM

I mentioned Furch since it is in the Czech Republic. They do some really fantastic things in the GA/OM size - especially with cedar tops, although I've got a spruce topped version that's pretty impressive as well. Budget-wise you should be able to find something that works for you pretty easily.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Good idea!

And as for Avalons being worth it or not: of course they are - same level of workmanship as Lowdens, often prettier woods, but quite a bit less. You rarely see the A models going second-hand though - must be a reason, methinks!

You are unlucky as a gorgeous S model cedar/hog just went on ebay for about about half your budget. I was really tempted myself, but I am after a maple 6 string for my next purchase. Whoever got it got perhaps the bargain of the year from what I've followed on ebay and reverb.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:48 PM

I think 2000€ for an O-10 Lowden would be expensive : seems like some of these guitars at least are not all solid woods. Some of the Lowden have been made in Japan over the years and it's quite complicated to know which is which...So be careful. At this price you can almost get one of the higher-end models (second-hand of course). So be careful and patient...Lots of good guitars for 2000€, especially used !
Where do you live in Europe ? In case you read french, check out the Benoit de Bretagne Forum : lots of info about Lowdens, from some real connoisseurs too...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Used Lowden

I agree that 2000 Euro for a used O-10 is on the upper limit. It depends strongly on the condition though.
@ Bernieman: a Lowden O-12 is definitely solid wood. I also don't think that it was built in Japan: I think that they started using the "O" designation after 1986, which is when they brought back production to Ireland.

At the same time, if a J-45 felt too big in your lap, the Lowden will feel VERY big. Although the narrow waist will help a bit, it will feel very large.

I have a Lowden S-12 (Lowden's smaller body size) that I might consider parting with for a reasonable price. Feel free to PM me if you are interested. I'm in Switzerland and would be willing to ship.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM

+1 on this. In that price range I highly recommend you check out furch, particularly the vintage series OMs. The dreads are also huge sounding.
Quote:

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
+ 1

Great guitars, especially at their price
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 09-17-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The other thing to note about the Furch is that they are one of the few guitars to match Lowden with a 45mm nut.

Each Furch top is individually voiced as well so you get a lot of effort going into the build for your money.

If Lowden is the goal then Furch will score nicely.

YouTube
Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Plus one for another Furch.

You might really like a Hog or Walnut if you want 'piano like', but my Cocobolo with Alpine top is very piano like as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion