The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Demo of D'Addario EXP17 coated on Martin D-18 Cutaway

Demo of D'Addario EXP17 coated Strings (Phosphor Bronze/Medium Gauge) on Martin D-18 Cutaway

Just tried my first set of D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EXP17 strings and upon first impression, this will not be my last time trying these strings. The camera/mic placement might be slightly on the bright side. Not sure. But the strings are brand new, stretched and recorded. So I imagine they will warm up and settle down after a couple of hours of playing time. What do you think?

Does anyone else love these or do you you prefer Daddario EJ17's? I am very impressed on first impression.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great Gary. I've used EXP's on some older flat or satin finished Larrivee 03 models or 15 Style Martin mahogany guitars. Currently have a set of EXP PB 12's on my DSS-17.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:17 AM

I’ve found it depends on the guitar. I always like standard eJ17 on my D18, but I am quite fond of EXP 17 on my Larrivee OM. Something about those strings and that guitar just works. Currently have their new XT medium PB on the Larrivee and hear much of the same tone as the EXP, but a touch brighter. I think the coating on EXP (and this guitar) makes it sound even warmer than it naturally is. The XT’s, right now, are even better because they keep some of that warmth underneath, but add a clarity that I didn’t hear with the EXP. of course, this could all very well be in my head.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Sounds great Gary. I've used EXP's on some older flat or satin finished Larrivee 03 models or 15 Style Martin mahogany guitars. Currently have a set of EXP PB 12's on my DSS-17.
Hi Jim, I am quite impressed with these EXP17's on first listen. I am guessing they will warm up just a touch after a few hours, but the detail and balance is exceptional.

They feel good without any slipperyness. Is that a word?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
They feel good without any slipperyness. Is that a word?
Works for me Gary! I much prefer the EXP to Elixir if I'm going to use a coated string.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Of all the coated strings that I have used, D'Addarios are the ones that I like the sound and the feel of best. If I need to use a coated string, which isn't often, I use the EXP16s. Thanks for posting the video. As always, you, your playing and those fine guitars sound great.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-16-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Yo-Gro-bro,

Another excellent video review buddy! ...I never cared much for D'Addario normal PB's, however, the EXP's sounded fantastic on my Avalon which my son has now and loves. They had a nice round tone, did not feel coated, with a nice presence across the board... (I did like DA electric guitar strings and used them for years)... I think the EXP's sound wonderful on your Martin, but I don't know if they trump the Lifespan which sound excellent.

nole-bromeo
Old 09-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo-Gro-bro,

Another excellent video review buddy! ...I never cared much for D'Addario normal PB's, however, the EXP's sounded fantastic on my Avalon which my son has now and loves. They had a nice round tone, did not feel coated, with a nice presence across the board... (I did like DA electric guitar strings and used them for years)... I think the EXP's sound wonderful on your Martin, but I don't know if they trump the Lifespan which sound excellent.

nole-bromeo

Agreed Bro-hemian Rhapsody! The Lifespans are maybe a little warmer and have a little more going on in the low-end. I will enjoy this set of EXP17's and see how long they last. Then I will switch back to a set of Lifespans....which I've used Lifespans on this guitar and my other Martin's and always like them.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM

I will have to try again, I think I have some around.
I have been stuck on their NB of late.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

They sound good - mellow without being dark. I had forgotten about the EXP series. I have a set of the XT on right now. Here is something I recorded yesterday, just bare fingers. The strings are about a week old.

https://www.reverbnation.com/barry36...k-morning-calm

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 09-16-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM

I love EXP's. I had a set of EXP19 (I think--bluegrass gauge) on my D-18 and they sounded great and lasted a long time. I have several sets of 17's and 16's on hand, and I look forward to using them. They always sound great.

I also have a set of the new XT that I'm going to try on my HD-28.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I love EXP's. I had a set of EXP19 (I think--bluegrass gauge) on my D-18 and they sounded great and lasted a long time. I have several sets of 17's and 16's on hand, and I look forward to using them. They always sound great.

I also have a set of the new XT that I'm going to try on my HD-28.
I forgot about the new XT's. But I had this set of EXP17's in my string stash to try and so far I am very happy. How are the XT's?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I forgot about the new XT's. But I had this set of EXP17's in my string stash to try and so far I am very happy. How are the XT's?
I like them too, at least more than Elixir. However I'm not sure I like them better than the new Martin Lifespan 2.0

I have a feeling that the XT strings will be replacing EXPs though-- not because of my preferences during trial but rather D'addario's effort to keep confusion down much like Martin did with their rebranding efforts last year

Last edited by steelvibe; 09-16-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Default EXP17 vs Lifespans

I have also been using the EXP17 on some of my Martin's and have compared them to the original Martin 7200 Lifespan with the Cleartone treatment..The EXP17 upon installation have a very good, clear, articulate, dry, vintage, woody tone with good balance lows to highs....The play ability is excellent and easier than conventional medium P.B. strings due to only 180 lbs of tension. The original 7200 Lifespans are noticeably louder, slightly warmer, more resonant, with more bottom end/bass/mids but still have a great dry, percussive, woody vintage type tone...The Lifespans feel stiffer and harder to play due to the additional 6-7 lbs of string tension. The original Lifespans in my experience last a little longer than the EXP17...To my ear, the EXP17 sound like 2 week old EJ17 as installed but not quite as loud and projective. To my ear, the original Lifespan 7200 with Cleartone really make my Martin's sound huge, rich, balanced, clear with depth and enhance that Martin growling tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion