The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 06:22 AM

It can be tough to find a good duo partner (I've been searching for years!), but duos offer 2X the bang for venues. As mentioned, you may need to look at your 'act' and freshen it up. Do you use a looper or harmonizer ever? Change instruments?
As to Methos' comments above regarding the Northeast, I think that is just that one booking agent's preference. Many agents and venues think that a duo is going to want more money than a soloist (and they should, but seldom get it!)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-11-2019, 06:39 AM

It's just hard to get gigs period. Unless you're bringing a room full of "Followers" no one want's you..

The other problem I see as an older performer, (60+) I have really nothing to offer anyone under 35. I can't stand the music most of that age group is into, and I'm not about to start covering some of that crap either.

What ever,...
Old 09-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
It's just hard to get gigs period. Unless you're bringing a room full of "Followers" no one want's you..

The other problem I see as an older performer, (60+) I have really nothing to offer anyone under 35. I can't stand the music most of that age group is into, and I'm not about to start covering some of that crap either.

What ever,...
Perhaps we're especially blessed but receive good feedback from younger listeners. It seems there in Central Ohio there are a number of young people who are aware and appreciate some of the music we do that is typically well before they were born. YMMV
Old 09-11-2019, 06:49 AM

I'm sure as with all things that the situation is different in various parts of the country and that there will always be places for soloists to play, but they may not be as close by as they used to be.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

...I too moved to central Oregon about 20 years ago...Sisters actually.....but I played mostly in Bend both as a solo act and in a variety of bands....I totally hear what you’re saying...gigging was easy in those days....even though I split 6 years ago I still return regularly...was there last weekend for the Sisters Folk Festival....

.....there are a crazy number of musicians in Bend now for a town of that size and the scene is nothing like it used to be.....the venues are all different now as are the people that frequent them...the competition for gigs there is way stiffer then it was so it makes sense that venues who are hiring are going to opt for ensembles over solo acts....add to that the plethora of touring acts that have Bend on their map and it’s that much tougher to find gigs....

.....I personally feel that Bend could really use an old school coffee house/folk venue and that it would probably kill it with the middle aged crowd that can’t hang with the ridiculous number of brew pubs that have sprouted like summer weeds across town.....
Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM

It's the opposite here. I know a couple solo artists playing out 15 times a month. Bands can find places but only on the weekends.

But versatility is the key. Why not scale your band to the situation?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this and how I might find solo acts...
Move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Trouble is, many of them are fading out here in the UK as the audience tends to be the baby boomers ... and you know what's happening to them/us!
There's got to be some kind of animal rights group that is concerned about the imminent extinction of Baby Boomers, isn't there?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Perhaps we're especially blessed but receive good feedback from younger listeners. It seems there in Central Ohio there are a number of young people who are aware and appreciate some of the music we do that is typically well before they were born. YMMV
You're in/near a major college city, so I would expect that to be the case.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
You're in/near a major college city, so I would expect that to be the case.
I'm the other half of this duet. We actually have a small University in our town but trust me it isn't the college crowd coming to see us. The "younger crowd" is even younger than that and our demographic encompasses everything from young families to teens to ages 30-80 and up. We play a variety of unorthodox venues that love to provide music as part of events and such as well as conventional stuff. We have also done some busking quite successfully. In fact we made more in tips at a local grocery store we busked last fall than we got on a couple of gigs.
We do not play any current pop but we do play some current country stuff like Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton. Most people come to see us because we play and sing a lot of stuff with harmonies. We pick stuff that sounds good and that we can do well. There's a fair amount of competition around, but if you find a nice niche', you can get gigs.
Oh and one last thing...we will play just about anywhere except hardcore bars.
Those days are over thankfully.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
I know a couple solo artists playing out 15 times a month. But versatility is the key.
I was doing that two years ago, playing 4 nights a week for the whole summer with some 5 night weeks thrown in too.
Last month I had a brief spell of a week and a half where I played 9 nights out 10. Like you said, versatility, but also availability. I hadn't been available to book for the summer and missed out on a few choice gigs as a result, but when it came to same day or day before notice, I was ready and ended up getting quite a few calls in the last couple of months.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Sorry about that. It's not fun to think that your music is not wanted or not appreciated.

What style of music do you play? Sorry if I missed it. For example, if you're playing classic rock or folk (I'm thinking Eagles, Doobies, etc...), your target demographic is getting older and maybe not going to those venues.

Sometimes I will try to book events where they want a "bigger sound" and that's cool. But as a general rule, the San Francisco Bay Area is great place for solo artists. Lots of people who appreciate many different styles of music.

Sorry i don't have any great answers, but keep trying!! I am sure you'll find something.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I moved to my town twenty years ago and immediately started gigging around at various venues and there were quite a few places to play out. Over the years the interest of these venues (bars, restaurants, festivals, pubs, First Fridays) has swung from predominately solo acts to groups of two or more. Now in 2019 its nearly impossible to find a venue who wants a solo act, even if they are good. It seems that these places believe that a group sounds better than a solo act can.
I am a solo act and have been for many years. I have a good set of songs to draw from and great sounding equipment. I also have good references from places I played in the past. But getting a gig is very tough. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this and how I might find solo acts or if I should add a bass player or percussionist so I too am a group.
You are quite lucky if they want groups - at least if they pay them decent money...
Here they seem to like better people who can't play any music at all, and talk endlessly over a same 2 bars pattern on some poor sounding stiffy rhythm machines...Seems to be trendy almost 40 years after it all started !
Otherwise I don't really know : it's nice to play as a group ; people want to hear rhythm, and have fun, dance and so on. They are probably getting more superficial, and more anxious it seems. No time for listening, no attention available maybe (?)...
People's heroes are what themselves would love to be...Takes too much time and practice to leran to play the guitar and sing. Why not have it the shorter way they'd think is an other suggestion (!?)...Lazy sheeps I bet.
Hold tight, and better luck...

Last edited by Bernieman; 09-12-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
You are quite lucky if they want groups - at least if they pay them decent money...
Here they seem to like better people who can't play any music at all, and talk endlessly over a same 2 bars pattern on some poor sounding stiffy rhythm machines...Seems to be trendy almost 40 years after it all started !
Otherwise I don't really know : it's nice to play as a group ; people want to hear rhythm, and have fun, dance and so on. They are probably getting more superficial, and more anxious it seems. No time for listening, no attention available maybe (?)...
People's heroes are what themselves would love to be...Takes too much time and practice to leran to play the guitar and sing. Why not have it the shorter way they'd think is an other suggestion (!?)...Lazy sheeps I bet.
Hold tight, and better luck...
I read your post twice. I'm sorry man but you totally lost me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
It can be tough to find a good duo partner (I've been searching for years!), but duos offer 2X the bang for venues. As mentioned, you may need to look at your 'act' and freshen it up. Do you use a looper or harmonizer ever? Change instruments?
As to Methos' comments above regarding the Northeast, I think that is just that one booking agent's preference. Many agents and venues think that a duo is going to want more money than a soloist (and they should, but seldom get it!)
I'm very lucky in that my duo partner is 'built-in' - my wife! Works very well in that we are pretty much on the same page when it comes to just about everything. I do all the work, she keeps all the money. Plus, we both live in the same practice space.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

What ever,...
I don't know anyone UNDER 50 who doesn't have a Sheeran tune in their set. And that includes the Brazilian band in my hometown. It's like there's a law.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion