The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Default No need for solo performers anymore

I moved to my town twenty years ago and immediately started gigging around at various venues and there were quite a few places to play out. Over the years the interest of these venues (bars, restaurants, festivals, pubs, First Fridays) has swung from predominately solo acts to groups of two or more. Now in 2019 its nearly impossible to find a venue who wants a solo act, even if they are good. It seems that these places believe that a group sounds better than a solo act can.
I am a solo act and have been for many years. I have a good set of songs to draw from and great sounding equipment. I also have good references from places I played in the past. But getting a gig is very tough. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this and how I might find solo acts or if I should add a bass player or percussionist so I too am a group.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I sympathise. I restarted doing solo gig, insead of my trio this year, not for any reason but after two years of illness, i wanted to get my solo stuff out a little.

It seems to me that the USA needs to re-invent the "folk club".
Trouble is, many of them are fading out here in the UK as the audience tends to be the baby boomers ... and you know what's happening to them/us!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I'm a solo guy and I'm playing more now than ever. There are certain venues that I purposely avoid because I know they are geared more for bands, but I'm still finding plenty of work. I'm playing at least two times every weekend and I'm seeing a lot of 3 and 4 gig weekends. Maybe you need to refine your target venues some and hit more restaurants and pubs that want things a bit more intimate than a band can do.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Really?

Seems like just the other day I was reading a deluge of articles about how nobody wants bands any more, solo acts with loopers are the wave of the future . . .
Old 09-10-2019, 02:22 PM

guess you have to sharpen up you Simon and Garfunkle - and find another guitarist to play with -actually could be fun !
Old 09-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

It's the opposite on this coast, at least in our area. There's a couple local booking agent types around here and all they take is solo acts. At least that's what one of them told us when we emailed him about taking on our duo act. Got an email reply that he was only representing solo acts. And the vast majority of the small-act venues we've noticed are hiring solo players. Less gear/footprint, more bang for the buck maybe?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Being in a duet works well for Lee and I. We are very diverse in our offering and with Lee playing a mean harp and Mandolin, we are definitely not the norm which is very well-received. Not only that but having the ability to play off one another musically and otherwise makes us more interesting.
Having said that, there are definitely some solo acts in our neck of the woods and the good performers get gigs. I'm not sure there is any kind of trend one way or another.
Finding people who are compatible can be challenging. If you are able to partner up with someone, it can be quite rewarding and awesome. One of my friends does a duet with him on acoustic guitar and a female vocalist. He sings harmonies and some lead vocals, but it's really all about her. He is a good musician and it works for them. They have to turn down gigging opportunities.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM

I'll play with you. Two guitars; harmony vocals. It will be awesome.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-10-2019, 04:30 PM

Hotroad,

Are you saying that NO venues are booking solo acts or that you are not finding gigs as a solo artist? I don't know you or the area but you brought this up so: I've seen other artists in small cities (like Bend) outgrow their area. By that I mean that after 20 years maybe you've outgrown a city of 80+,000. I know I lived in Santa Barbara for years before moving back to L.A. and I KNOW I couldn't have played SB for 20 years. Not enough venues and changing demographics over 20 years - including me getting older.

If you started in Bend at 40 and you're now 60 - that's a big difference and during that time, as you state, venue's have changed - and so have you, me and the rest of us. Music has changed. Some bands that were huge in the '90's, 2000's ... are no longer relevant and they were nationwide or world-wide. Over the decades I've seen club, bar, small venue performer's paid about the same over that time. I've also seen the stagnant rates getting trios, small bands etc. getting paid the same as a solo artist. If your area is the same, and the customer's want duos, trios or larger, then the venue owners will hire those for the same pay as a solo artist. I hear your frustration.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Here in Charlotte NC, the boom continues for local breweries with food trucks. Some of those are pretty elaborate and seem to be a great venue for solo acts, and indeed most have them and are set up for them.

Similar for outdoor seating areas at restaurants, esp those attached to hotels. I often see live music at such smaller venues and almost always a solo act.

All the best, would love to hear you play.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I'll play with you. Two guitars; harmony vocals. It will be awesome.
Come on up!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I play in an acoustic duo. Sounds quite full. Songs range from softer 1st set stuff to rocking... we have a buddy who does the sound and sets us up... AND he has a bag of percussion. Tambourines. Shakers. Blocks... etc.

Have you thought of doing a duo? It opens up a ton of possibilities... including harmony.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Here in Charlotte NC, the boom continues for local breweries with food trucks. Some of those are pretty elaborate and seem to be a great venue for solo acts, and indeed most have them and are set up for them.

Similar for outdoor seating areas at restaurants, esp those attached to hotels. I often see live music at such smaller venues and almost always a solo act.

All the best, would love to hear you play.
Local and micro breweries are a big deal here as are food trucks. Distilleries are big up and comers as well and they all seem to have restaurants attached. I still see solo guitarists performing all the time here.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:55 PM

I've been working in a variety of duo's over the last few years, guitar(me)/piano, guitar/ sax, and guitar/guitar. Of the he three formats I prefer guitar/guitar combo. We both sing and can carry our tunes solo, so it makes it very easy to perform without much or any rehearsal.

Who's ever is singing the song carries the rhythm, while the other plays guitar fills/solos, and sings harmony if required. We trade songs 50/50 throughout the night.

This works great as we feed off each other, and the audience doesn't get sick of one voice and style. Our respective repertoires overlap somewhat but also bring a wider range too what we can do.

It's a very nice way to roll, as long as the musicianship is there. You don't need two guys whacking away on the same chords all night long.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 PM

I found I got more gigs as a duo or a band than as solo. It is nice to share verses, use harmony, get a fuller sound, hide mistakes - and not as nice to have to share the pay.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion