The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-01-2019, 02:52 PM

Default The Captain Meets Tommy Emmanuel

The Captain has turned into a very good interviewer. He establishes a rapport very quickly, and is not afraid to deviate from his interview 'plan' and let his subjects speak. I think this is his best interview to date.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 09-01-2019, 03:21 PM

I got to meet Tommy in 2008? I believe. He did a show in a small venue in my neighborhood. I guess it goes without saying he did an incredible show. He's a super nice guy to boot.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 09-01-2019, 05:07 PM

I'm only 25 minutes in.........this is an amazing interview with so much background info on TE's life. Stuff I never knew!! What a story....you can't make this stuff up!!
I'll continue now! Back to the show.............
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Didn't have a clue that he inherited a heart defect. Thanks for posting this great video. That guitar tone is sweet and mellow to my ear.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Watched the video, went to his website to check tour dates.... Whadya know! He’ll be in Fargo on Oct 12! I can travel there from the Twin Cities, pick up my cousins on the way, have dinner, we can attend the show and stay overnight at the cousins on the way home. Tickets purchased. Save the date.
Thanks for posting the video what the Captain. Always enjoy the Anderton’s vids.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM

My wife and I were traveling through Ohio a few weeks ago and got to talking about Jorma Kaukonen's Fur Peace Ranch. So, still in the car driving home, she starts Googling Jorma, and pretty quickly discovers that he's playing at the Taft Theater in Cincinnati on Sept 27. Now she's been a fan of his since the Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna days so we decide that she should get tickets for us to see him there. She does that on her phone from the car. As were driving along she says that there's someone else on the bill with him, some guy named Tommy Emmanuel. She really had no idea who he is and she was pretty disappointed to realize that Tommy, and not Jorma, is the headliner. I've since showed her several videos of Tommy, including this interview at Anderton's and she now gets it. But what a happy accident! We're really looking forward to the show.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Great story!! It will take your wife under two minutes to realize why TE is the headliner!!!
I"ve seen him three times.......and describe the experience as "otherworldly". You honestly cannot believe what he does when you see him live.
I have a feeling you'll love it! Such a great player....and entertainer.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Well, that was a fun interview. My wife commented that the reason the "Captain" is an effective interviewer is because he asks a question and then gets out of the way and lets the person being interviewed talk. She noted that too many interviewers try to make the interview too much about themselves.

So this was very enjoyable. I have read or heard Tommy talk about most of the things and events he discussed in the interview, but there were little tidbits that were completely new. "If you bring your love with you" from the song, "Lewis & Clark," I had never heard before. Fascinating insight. Ironically, that was what Lewis & Clark were trying to do...

I didn't realize that Tommy and Phil supported the family with their music after their father died and they had to come off the road. I wondered how they survived financially, but I had never heard Tommy talk about that before.

I enjoyed very much the two new songs he played, and I am really looking forward to this new album, "Tommysongs," when it comes out in 2020. I have not been terribly enthused about his recent collaboration albums. But I really like Tommy's compositions on the guitar, so I know I will like this new album.

Thanks for that link to the interview. I watched the entire interview and enjoyed it thoroughly!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN