The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post
If it helps you sing, I get that. But...

Could be me but I don't think guitars resonate quite the same when tuned down. And using a Capo doesn't quite feel like the same as a guitar in standard tuning to me. The overtones seem different.

It's like most guitars are built be in standard tuning to my ear. (and I'm ot talking about alternate tunings here, just about detuning a 1/2 or whole step).

I know, hogwash. And I have no proof of this. I am not a guitar builder or an expert in physics, I just "think" I hear a difference.

SRV had good reason to tune down, his strings and bends were HUGE!!! Plus I think electrics are a different beast all together.

(I guess if I had an 100 year old flat top it would be tuned down though).
A long time ago I was strictly a dread guy, loved the Martin low end rumble. Then arthritis stepped in and I had to switch to smaller bodies, and I did miss that low end.

Tuning down 1/2 step with OM/000's, aside from making vocals and string bending easier (I use 13's on everything), also provides a little more low end grit, a very good thing to me...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
A long time ago I was strictly a dread guy, loved the Martin low end rumble. Then arthritis stepped in and I had to switch to smaller bodies, and I did miss that low end.

Tuning down 1/2 step with OM/000's, aside from making vocals and string bending easier (I use 13's on everything), also provides a little more low end grit, a very good thing to me...........
There are good reasons to sometimes to tune down. I just think the guitar responds differently when doing so.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM

On a couple of guitars I tune down to accommodate and accompany my voice. Though I have a decent vocal range, it's still a bit of a reach to sing everything at concert pitch. A semi-tone isn't much, but it helps over the long haul. To keep the guitar top vibrating well, and maintain volume I suppose, I use medium gauge strings on those guitars.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:33 AM

Default nice to hear

This is gREAT to read...I'm about to solo gig for the FIRST TIME as my "second act" in life and have a few songs that are a HAIR out of reach (hey tonight, born on the bayou, and a few other D songs), but I've been worried about it. I know I practic "Spain" in concert tuning then when I go to an open mic, they guy there tuned down half step and I had to go into "louder mode" halfway through the 2d vers (can you feeeeellll it....must be realll...etc.) where with concert tuning I don't get loud until "well I've never been to heaven..." and also Dead Flowers...I almost can't do it in Eb tuning where it's almost perfectly comfortable in concert. I'm going to just start practicing in Eb and see how it all shakes out. Great thread.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-02-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment
Old 09-02-2019, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

I jus put mediums on my Gibson Country Western and turned down 1/2 step. I may keep the guitar... wow.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:54 AM

SRV famously played Eb. Much to my annoyance ‘cuz his stuff is great for my voice, but my electric player doesn’t wanna...

I’m certainly not better than SRV..

Different guitars respond differently...it’s almost as if wood was different from steel...

My first baritone ukulele just LOVED “A tuning”—we’d call it F# tuning; I’ve played a few guitars that Just Sounded Better in D or even C

Horses for courses and all that
Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 AM

When in standard tuning, I have two that I tend to keep down an entire step, D to D. One is my 12 string, which has a great growl left open and of course tuned down a bit, there is less stress upon the neck. The other is my Leach, which just sounds its best when a bit lower. I find having one tuned a bit lower is handy on certain songs when I want to play in one figuring but that figuring is bit too high for my voice.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:17 AM

As we speak, my D18 with the medium strings is tuned down 1/2 step. It comes in very handy on a few of my tunes and on virtually everything first thing in the morning.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:29 AM

Interestingly I just tuned down my OM this morning and love the feel and tone. However something about the tuning itself drives me crazy! I know a lot my idols use the tuning and I have used it for covers in the past. I just can’t get past the tuning not sounding quite right. It is almost like my ears always hear it as out of tune. I would love, love to have that feel and tone at standard! My OM has already been set up for nice comfortably low action (but not ridiculously low). I’ve tried multiple string guages and guitars but I haven’t quite gotten the formula right yet. My dad has a beautiful pre war OOO that “feels” great but the shorter scale length “loses” something for leads. Almost like it loses the “snap” in the notes. A friend of my dad had a pre war Dread that was fabulous, but the price is prohibitive. I’m going to try some different strings this week and see if that helps. There is a tiny bit of play left on my bridge for lowering it but I don’t want to go past the point of no return. I play in an acoustic trio and most often just tough it out in standard. Maybe I’m asking too much, but you know, guitar players. I hope everyone in the States has a wonderful Labor Day!! UNION STRONG 💪

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write