The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 PM

Default anyone tune down a half-step?

I play both the Taylor Kottke signature models, and just tuned the 6-string down a half step. I'm hoping it will make it a bit easier to play some of the more demanding music that I play (including Bach lute suite and Villa Lobos guitar studies).

I could try lighter gauge strings but I dislike thin treble strings.

Has anyone tuned down for the sake of ease on the fretting hand, and did it result in easier playing?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 PM

I do!
It matches my voice better and there's nothing like a HD35 tuned down half a step.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:54 PM

I tune down and tune funny all the time... makes it a little easier to play, and it's a little easier on the guitar over time too I guess.

Also allows me to play with a capo on the first five strings and leave the lowest string open for a fake drop-d tuning, which, tuned down, is an actual dropped d tuning!

Anyway, there's no driving reason to play at concert pitch on a daily basis EXCEPT if you are playing with other people who will be tuned correctly.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:58 PM
Guest 728

I don't keep any of my guitars in half-step-down tuning, but I routinely turn to that tuning when gigging: easier on the fingers, easier on the voice.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

If you are using mediums at the moment you could also ( in addition to tuning down if you wish) fit lights and put heavier 1st and 2nd strings on or use a hybrid set such as D'Addario 'true-mediums' EJ24, Wyres Pierre Bensusan DADGAD, which provide this mix of gauges with a 0.056 6th as well. There's Elixir HD as well.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 AM

Yes ... I began using mediums and tuning down half a step about a year ago. Like others have said, it better suits my voice and I prefer the tone produced by the heavier strings at the lower tuning.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 11-30-2015, 05:08 AM

Default anyone tune down a half-step?

The Edge from U2 usually tunes down a half step as did Paddy MacAloon of Prefab Sprout. I do believe Thin Lizzy did it too - at least on Don't Believe A Word, which we learned for our recent Golden Age of Rock n Roll show!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-30-2015, 06:56 AM

I don't routinely do it any more.
But I used to use lights or extra lights and tune down a half step to ease tension on the guitar.
I now tune my 12-string down a half step for the same reason.

But since I have to play in concert pitch every week, I just stay in concert pitch all the time with my six strings.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-30-2015, 06:56 AM

I tune all my standard-tuned acoustics down a whole step to D, mainly to keep the string tension low and put off any neck problems.

If I play with other people, using a capo or playing in alternative positions - all adds to the mix.

Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland period) also favoured Eflat tuning.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 AM

Default Tuning down

I use to tune down a whole step on my 12 string, but not my 6 strings unless I know I won't be playing the, for a while.

If your guitar is hard to play attics you might want to hae the set up looked at. Many "techs" ignore the nut and a badly set up nut can make otherwise great guitar hard to play
Old 11-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I tune all my standard-tuned acoustics down a whole step to D, mainly to keep the string tension low and put off any neck problems.

If I play with other people, using a capo or playing in alternative positions - all adds to the mix.

Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland period) also favoured Eflat tuning.
What kind of guitars are you playing that you are worried about neck problems with standard tuning?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 AM

Another one here who tunes down 1/2 step to match my voice better
Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 AM

I tune down a 1/2 step for my vocal range (and to annoy my playing buddy )
Old 11-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Another one here who tunes down 1/2 step - like the sound!
2008 Seagull M6
2004 Taylor Big Baby
Paul Reed Smith's SE245
and a Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I don't keep any of my guitars in half-step-down tuning, but I routinely turn to that tuning when gigging: easier on the fingers, easier on the voice.
Another one that tunes all guitars down a half step. We do it because there are songs we play in our acoustic duo that requires it for my wife's vocal range. I didn't really think about the added benefit of reduced string tension for both the guitar and the player though.

Question for Willie from above - what do you keep your guitars tuned to? Standard? Or reduced tension for neck reasons? Just curious. It seemed odd to me that you would return to standard tuning if you regularly play out tuned down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write