The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-09-2019, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the update, Ethan - long term impressions are useful too, beyond the honeymoon phase.

As they ramped up production numbers last year (or maybe due to personnel changes??) the set-ups seemed to suffer a bit. My X30 purchased from stock in December 2018 came with a very low set-up that buzzed, even with a very light touch. All prior Emeralds had excellent set-ups that needed zero tweaking. I shimmed the saddle up with some credit card material and adjusted the truss rod, and now all is good, so it was close initially. Alistair sent me a replacement saddle, as I am able to do my own set-up work.

I can see how a loose sticker could annoy you, but it really should not interfere with any sound production that would be audible by human ears. [I cannot speak for the hearing - or musical tastes - of bats]. Maybe steam it a little to get it to let go entirely, then laminate and re-glue? Or cover it with clear packing tape to secure it down fully and to protect it?

Wood guitars still have a place in the world, and I get that. For recording the wood tone might work better, at least for your ears. But the practical benefits of having a carbon fiber guitar accessible for ready playing cannot be denied. That got me into CF initially years ago. Winter time in Alaska meant 15% indoor RH and every wood guitar had to live in its case with two dampened sponge humidifiers, and they needed to be re-wet every week for every guitar. The Rainsong could stay out on a wall hanger or stand for a quick play session, and could go places where I might hesitate to take my best wooden guitars.

Lastly I would suggest that you might have V3 of the X7 (the current version). If I understand things correctly, V1 is the old center sound hole from several years ago, V2 is the offset but forward-facing sound hole (which we have), and V3 is the newest offset and upward-sloped sound hole plus the bigger body size, closer to the X10 body. The current X7 design began production in spring 2018. Anyone feel free to correct me if this is wrong.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Default V3 not V2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Thanks for the update, Ethan - long term impressions are useful too, beyond the honeymoon phase.
Sure, that's why I provided it, thanks! I wanted to go beyond another "I just got this new thing which is awesome and I love it" that I read in so many reviews.

Quote:
As they ramped up production numbers last year (or maybe due to personnel changes??) the set-ups seemed to suffer a bit.
This would not surprise me in the least. The logistics of a well-run business astonish me, always.

Quote:
I can see how a loose sticker could annoy you, but it really should not interfere with any sound production that would be audible by human ears. [I cannot speak for the hearing - or musical tastes - of bats]. Maybe steam it a little to get it to let go entirely, then laminate and re-glue? Or cover it with clear packing tape to secure it down fully and to protect it?
Annoys me, but not enough to do anything about it right now I am or just annoyed at the principle that the sticker doesn't stick all the way, nor does it want to fall off completely. I'm like, one or the other, dude

Quote:
Wood guitars still have a place in the world, and I get that. But the practical benefits of having a carbon fiber guitar accessible for ready playing cannot be denied. That got me into CF initially years ago.
Exactly this. I heat primarily with wood as well, albeit in Oregon winters that said, I have found that maintaining general humidity in the small house at the source, near the fire has helped immensely with my wood guitars

Quote:
Lastly I would suggest that you might have V3 of the X7 (the current version).
Yes! Someone else explained this to me... does anyone know how to change the title of a thread? I do think it is inaccurate and misleading to keep the V2 up there
Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM

You can change it being the one who started this thread
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
....does anyone know how to change the title of a thread? I do think it is inaccurate and misleading to keep the V2 up there
I believe that you can go into CP (control panel) on the left side of the blue bar and edit from there. If not, a moderator can help you. Only you as the thread originator or a moderator can make the change. Sorry to have nagged you.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM
Guest 928

I've always felt that Emerald stickers were not up to the quality of the guitars. Particularly with specially ordered and special series instruments the sticker should clearly and proudly reveal the maker, the date, the model, and the buyer. The signature on a piece of art is important.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've always felt that Emerald stickers were not up to the quality of the guitars. Particularly with specially ordered and special series instruments the sticker should clearly and proudly reveal the maker, the date, the model, and the buyer. The signature on a piece of art is important.
,,,,and that is exactly what Alistair's wonders are. Works of art, albeit functional works of art, which is even better.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You can change it being the one who started this thread
Go to the original post, and select to edit it. When that window opens up, select the ‘Go Advanced’ button, and you should be able to edit the title.

I may have the terminology slightly amiss - this is from memory.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 AM

I find no options available to edit the title, but I'm just a "Registered User". The option "may" be there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

In years past, I once directly asked the moderators to change a title for me (typo or something) and they graciously did so in a short time.

I suspect that "Charter Members" may have other options available to them, such as title editing.

Maybe a moderator will take a moment and chime in and clarify it's possible for a user to change or if it is something only in their domain.

I'm also curious to know even though I don't introduce very many threads.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 AM

Default Title test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I find no options available to edit the title, but I'm just a "Registered User".
So am I but it has always worked for me. "Go Advanced" will do the trick, exactly as David described.

Edit: As an example I have edited the title of my own reply.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 09-17-2019 at 05:15 AM. Reason: changed title
Old 09-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
Unfortunately, I won't be selling/getting rid of my wood guitars, nor will I be ordering a custom Emerald nylon. After I AB'd them, I do PREFER the sound from my wood guitars, especially when recorded. The difference in sound doesn't stop me from loving playing the X7. I think the X7 sounds FANTASTIC, and it is easily my #1 played instrument due to comfort, fit, durability, etc. I think this is a hands-down fantastic, incredibly versatile compact travel/practice/performance guitar. I just don't like listening to the recorded results as much as with my other guitars. It sounds a little less brilliant, and the bass is a bit less tight. But to be fair, I am comparing it to a Spruce/Rosewood Goodall CGV and a similarly-appointed custom nylon string (same woods/cutaway style). Not really in the same league.
Yeah - that sort of echoes my experience with the X7. Given it's diminutive size, I was never expecting it to be my #1 (FYI, since getting the X7, my #1 has changed several times - from a Tacoma DR12 to a Martin SWOMGT (wish I hadn't sold that one) to a Martin 000-15 to a Rainsong Shorty. All of those guitars are capable of much more volume and 'richness' than the X7, but I sure wouldn't have taken a two-week vacation to NYC, England, and Iceland with them (which I did, in 2016, with the Emerald). I must admit I have been contemplating an X20 or X30 as my next purchase, and would expect either of THEM to seriously contend for #1 status.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
So am I but it has always worked for me. "Go Advanced" will do the trick, exactly as David described.

Edit: As an example I have edited the title of my own reply.
I think we are talking about two entirely different areas to change. I was referring to changing the title of a thread I authored, not a post.

Yes, I understand how to change a post title. That's not an issue.

But changing the title of the entire thread is something I am yet not able to find out how to do. So I was wondering if someone had found a way to do it other than by moderator request, or maybe, an option for Charter Members.

I should have been clearer in my last post.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think we are talking about two entirely different areas to change. I was referring to changing the title of a thread I authored, not a post.
The title of the thread is the same as the title of the first post in the thread. Changing it in the advanced edit thread changes both. I just did it to a thread I started.

No idea why it's not working for you.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-17-2019, 12:51 PM

I'm not a charter member (that might be the issue) but have never edited the title of a thread that I've started. You might need a moderator's help. Click on the red triangle on the right side of a post, or send a PM to one of the mods.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
The title of the thread is the same as the title of the first post in the thread. Changing it in the advanced edit thread changes both. I just did it to a thread I started.

No idea why it's not working for you.
Understand now. But it's not obvious at all. You can add titles to any post and they can be different and they can be changed.

But knowing that the title of the first post automatically becomes the thread title as well makes it easy to understand why changing the 1st post title changes the thread title as well.

No one has made that clear from my readings since coming to the forum, even though it comes up from time to time, though I don't read most of the forum subsections--so thanks.

Now I wish I had an idea for a new thread so I could make a mistake--and then change it!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, I understand how to change a post title. That's not an issue.

But changing the title of the entire thread is something I am yet not able to find out how to do. So I was wondering if someone had found a way to do it other than by moderator request, or maybe, an option for Charter Members.

I should have been clearer in my last post.
That works the same.

Edit: Oops, I somehow missed that you already figured it out. Now if someone can tell me how to remove my unnecessary post...
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 09-17-2019 at 05:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, scale length, travel