The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-27-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Nashville tuning, anyone like it?

About 9 years ago I learned about Nashville tuning and thought I'd give it a go.
I don't recall the exact instrument but it likely was one of my Martin 00s.
It was only used for a very short time.

Fast forward to now.I strung my new Martin dreadnought Junior for another attempt at Nashville tuning.
Initially it was a unique pleasant sound but I am finding it to be very difficult to keep in tune, particularly the B string.
Anyway the novelty has worn off.I think a good old 12 string in standard tuning will fulfill the tone I am after.

A few years ago, some of the makers of Chinese guitars sold dedicated Nashville tuned guitars. Don't see too many of those anymore.

Maybe I am missing something and if anyone else enjoys this tuning I would like to have your perspectives...

Gabe
Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 PM

It's mostly used for doubling parts, not as the tuning you'd use as a solo artist. In that context it's nice.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Nashville tuning is lots of fun. I wrote an article on it for Acoustic Guitar back in 2010 or so, and ended up talking to some legendary nashville session players as I tried to track down who first came up with it (if I recall correctly, the consensus seemed to be that most roads led to Chet Atkins, tho he may have picked it up from someone else).

While I agree that it's most commonly used to sweeten a track - it can add a 12-string shimmer when doubled with another guitar without being as overwhelming as a 12-string, people have used it for fingerstyle as well. Pat Methany uses a modified version on his entire "One Quiet Night" CD. There, he used a baritone, and only tunes the middle 2 strings up an octave, but he still calls it "nashville tuning". Other times, "nashville tuning" is either the bottom 3 up an octave, or the bottom 4, depending on who you talk to.

Along with various rhythm guitar examples for the article, I created a short fingerstyle arrangement of the trad tune John Barleycorn. The article's not available online as far as I know, but I found a recording of my arrangement:

I also found this old thread, where there's a bit more information from many people, including me when my memory was fresher...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=316651
Old 08-28-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Nashville tuning

Until recently I kept one of my guitars in Nashville tuning. I would play solo around the house and/or an occasional tune at an open mic. Where I have the most fun with it though is when one of my pickin' buddies and I will play twin solos at an acoustic jam. When everybody lowers their volume and both are playing almost identical parts, something special happens! Mississippi John Hurt songs sound good with this tuning. Once you wrap your head around the "difference" of the Nashville tuning vs standard tuning it is fun!
Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
…Maybe I am missing something and if anyone else enjoys this tuning I would like to have your perspectives...

Gabe
Hi Gabe
I like it for recording. I've used it there to separate the sound of two guitars from one another (recorded separately and panning them wide in the mix).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I usually have a guitar in Nashville tuning as a songwriting tool. It shakes up my ear and gives me different melody ideas.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Default Nashville tuning

I keep my Martin 00017s Black Smoke in Nashville. I use it primarily for recording. From my experience it seems to work best for folkier tunes I'm working on. Am headed up to Allegheny National Forest to meet with my co-writer where we will be recording for an upcoming album. Am taking my D18GE, and the 000 Nashville tuned guitar along with some portable studio equipment for the session. I've tried to use it in live situations and had mixed results. For peppier up tempo tunes it seems to get lost, but for slower or folkier tunes I do believe it may have a place.
Rick
Old 08-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Along with various rhythm guitar examples for the article, I created a short fingerstyle arrangement of the trad tune John Barleycorn. The article's not available online as far as I know, but I found a recording of my arrangement:
That was great, Doug! I really enjoyed it.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
, I created a short fingerstyle arrangement of the trad tune John Barleycorn. The article's not available online as far as I know, but I found a recording of my arrangement:

Whoa, very nice!
Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Nah, I got me two 12 strings, they got both kinds!

I heard that they were developed by session musos so they could put down two different tracks and earn twice the session fee.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:48 PM

I like using a Nashville tuned guitar on a track where I want a 12-string sound, but there is already another guitar playing. It gives the 12-string effect, but is far easier to mix.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-29-2019, 04:02 AM

That sounds GREAT Doug. Man, what a great album, wore it out. I didn't realize it was that long ago. Inspired, I had to try that tuning with a Baritone. A bud Tim Thompson, lent me his Alvarez Yairi Baritone back then, I think this is plugged straight in, whatever pickup was in it, a bit noisy, weird interface into Nuendo I think. I always wanted to get one & keep it "high strung", like other things though...it never happened.

Quote:
Nashville tuning is lots of fun. I wrote an article on it for Acoustic Guitar back in 2010 or so, and ended up talking to some legendary nashville session players as I tried to track down who first came up with it (if I recall correctly, the consensus seemed to be that most roads led to Chet Atkins, tho he may have picked it up from someone else).

While I agree that it's most commonly used to sweeten a track - it can add a 12-string shimmer when doubled with another guitar without being as overwhelming as a 12-string, people have used it for fingerstyle as well. Pat Methany uses a modified version on his entire "One Quiet Night" CD. There, he used a baritone, and only tunes the middle 2 strings up an octave, but he still calls it "nashville tuning". Other times, "nashville tuning" is either the bottom 3 up an octave, or the bottom 4, depending on who you talk to.

I also found this old thread, where there's a bit more information from many people, including me when my memory was fresher...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=316651
Old 09-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for everyone's input.I'm not much into recording ,which is beyond my level and interest.

I took off the Nashville strings and plan to use my back up guitar for slide in open tunings.

Gabe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write