The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
Did you see how Crosby handled a heckler in New York last night? That'll teach him! haha

https://www.si.com/nhl/2019/01/03/si...utograph-photo

A little more info, including some of the heckler's material.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...n-signed-stick
Well, if anyone needed anything more to convince them that Crosby is one exceptional person (not to mention pro athlete), this story should do it for them. Great stuff!!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Malkin had an even strength goal and assist last night, so hopefully this will the beginning of a turnaround for him.

I have a good friend who is an avid Bruins fan; he really dislikes Backes. He claims Backes' production hasn't been anywhere near what it should be given his salary. I'll always like Backes for his love of dogs and the compassion he showed for them during the Olympics some years ago.

Sid is simply the best. His game right now is complete. He's making plays on both offense and defense, and is clearly the best player on the ice during most of his shifts against all opponents. I've watched Crosby since he first came into the league, and I don't believe I've ever seen him play better than he is right now.

It was interesting to see the NHL All-Star game selections announced last night. Great that Sid was selected, and rightfully so. I also was pleased to see Pastrnak get a spot. I was disappointed that Bergeron and Letang weren't picked, but both showed up on the "Last Men In" ballot, so I'll have a chance to cast a vote for each to be added (haven't decided on whether I'll be voting for players in any other divisions).

You have any plans to vote in the Last Men In? If so who will you be voting for from each division?
Bergeron missed too many games to make the all star game I think. I hope that he doesn't lose another Selke trophy because of that (like last year). I wasn't even aware that I could vote! Probably won't though.

Ovechkin is going to miss the All Star game and take the automatic 1 game suspension. It's a shame because he was named a captain. He's been cold lately after being on a hot goal scoring streak.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Pens beat the Jets tonight 4-0 for their eighth consecutive win. They have really turned their season around! Matt Murray in goal for the shutout. Sid with an assist.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-05-2019, 12:50 AM

My Flames are a very dangerous team, especially if Neal gets going (I have my doubts). Rittich could win the Vezina. Peters the Adams. This has to be one of the most wide-open seasons in a while. Who knows who will win Lord Stanley's Cup, hey?!

As for other topics discussed;

I miss the Whalers. And their jerseys. How could anyone not miss the Hartford Whalers, the Quebec Nordiques, and the original Winnipeg Jets jerseys?!

Crosby is all class. A great ambassador, for the game.

Anyone following the World Juniors? Finland looks tough, as does the USA. How about KHAZAKHSTAN!!

Mid-season award winners;

Hart: Mackinnon/Colorado
Vezina: Either Gibson/Anaheim, or Rittich/Calgary
Norris: Giordano/Calgary
Ross: Either Kucherov/Tampa, or MacKinnon or Gaudreau/Calgary
Calder: Pettersson/Vancouver
Byng: Crosby/Pittsburgh
Richard: Ovechkin/Washington
Selke: Always Bergeron/Boston
Adams: Peters/Calgary

I'd take Giordano for the Clancy, as well.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Pens beat the Jets tonight 4-0 for their eighth consecutive win. They have really turned their season around! Matt Murray in goal for the shutout. Sid with an assist.
We were talking about this a month ago how Nov/Dec the Pens would (hopefully) turn things around, as they've done in the past. It took a month longer this year.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
My Flames are a very dangerous team, especially if Neal gets going (I have my doubts). Rittich could win the Vezina. Peters the Adams. This has to be one of the most wide-open seasons in a while. Who knows who will win Lord Stanley's Cup, hey?!

I miss the Whalers. And their jerseys. How could anyone not miss the Hartford Whalers, the Quebec Nordiques, and the original Winnipeg Jets jerseys?!

Anyone following the World Juniors? Finland looks tough, as does the USA. How about KHAZAKHSTAN!!

Interesting take on the Byng trophy, although Crosby has very few penalties this year (10 min), he probably won't win a major award, he's a great veteran of the game ... so you may be right. This may be his year for the Byng.

I'd like to see McKinnon win the scoring race if McDavid doesn't but I still think he can come back to win.

Heartbreaking loss for Canada at the World Juniors. Leave it to Crosby to defend them.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post

Oh, the nostalgic feelings I have for those teams and their uniforms. Recently when the Pens played the Jets in Winnipeg the Jets wore their original blue uniforms. Man, those were gorgeous!! They should go back to them as their regulars. Always loved the Whalers unis, and the Nordiques were my favorite team other than the Pens for a good number of years. When those two teams met they played wide open offense-minded offense in an era of clutch and grab. It was so refreshing to watch those games with the great talent they both had.

Congrats to your Flames! They've gotten their game together in a big way. I was surprised earlier in the year when the Pens beat them 9-1 in Calgary. I'm guessing the Flames are looking forward to some revenge when they play the Pens in Pittsburgh in February. Should be a great game!!!

I don't see enough of any team other than the Pens to really know how good a particular player might be. Yes, there are stats, but the eye test means a lot to me in my evaluation of players. What I do know is that Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang have been the MVPs for the Pens to this point in the season. Both are playing both offensively and defensively at an elite level. Crosby's defensive stats are Selke good, and he's on pace for a 107 point season. Letang is playing almost 26 minutes a game, is a +14, and on a pace for 20 goals and 75 points; a Norris trophy candidate for sure. Although admittedly biased and small sample size, I haven't seen any player on any opposing team that I thought plays as complete a game as either Crosby or Letang.

Should be an exciting second half of the NHL season ahead!!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-05-2019, 11:51 AM

I'm always hesitant to comment in a thread like this because I really don't know much about hockey and usually wind up saying something noob-ish or completely stupid, but I will say that I'm enjoying the Las Vegas Golden Knights' success. Of course since I'm living in Las Vegas, I'm almost required to say that

I just wish I could afford a couple tickets.

I guess that would actually entail taking the time to see their cost

And seeing if any are actually available.

But still, it would be fun to go to a game.

Best to all of you hard core Hockey fans!
PJ
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I'm always hesitant to comment in a thread like this because I really don't know much about hockey and usually wind up saying something noob-ish or completely stupid, but I will say that I'm enjoying the Las Vegas Golden Knights' success. Of course since I'm living in Las Vegas, I'm almost required to say that

I just wish I could afford a couple tickets.

I guess that would actually entail taking the time to see their cost

And seeing if any are actually available.

But still, it would be fun to go to a game.

Best to all of you hard core Hockey fans!
PJ
Hey PhotoJeep - you should join us more often. Many of us here are Marc Andre Fleury fans from his Penguins days and we still follow him with the Golden Knights. He leads the NHL in wins and shutouts ... not too bad.

It's a shame tickets in the NHL, or sports in general, are so expensive now compared to when we were growing up.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, the nostalgic feelings I have for those teams and their uniforms. Recently when the Pens played the Jets in Winnipeg the Jets wore their original blue uniforms. Man, those were gorgeous!! They should go back to them as their regulars. Always loved the Whalers unis, and the Nordiques were my favorite team other than the Pens for a good number of years. When those two teams met they played wide open offense-minded offense in an era of clutch and grab. It was so refreshing to watch those games with the great talent they both had.

Congrats to your Flames! They've gotten their game together in a big way. I was surprised earlier in the year when the Pens beat them 9-1 in Calgary. I'm guessing the Flames are looking forward to some revenge when they play the Pens in Pittsburgh in February. Should be a great game!!!

I don't see enough of any team other than the Pens to really know how good a particular player might be. Yes, there are stats, but the eye test means a lot to me in my evaluation of players. What I do know is that Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang have been the MVPs for the Pens to this point in the season. Both are playing both offensively and defensively at an elite level. Crosby's defensive stats are Selke good, and he's on pace for a 107 point season. Letang is playing almost 26 minutes a game, is a +14, and on a pace for 20 goals and 75 points; a Norris trophy candidate for sure. Although admittedly biased and small sample size, I haven't seen any player on any opposing team that I thought plays as complete a game as either Crosby or Letang.

Should be an exciting second half of the NHL season ahead!!
Gaudreau just scored a sneaky one, in ChiTown. He's a generational talent. So is Tkachuk. That shellacking by the Pens earlier in the season got us going. The Pens have really put it together, of late - they were really struggling, earlier in the season. They are a classy group.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey PhotoJeep - you should join us more often. Many of us here are Marc Andre Fleury fans from his Penguins days and we still follow him with the Golden Knights. He leads the NHL in wins and shutouts ... not too bad.

It's a shame tickets in the NHL, or sports in general, are so expensive now compared to when we were growing up.
Thanks Dru,
I honestly don't know the first thing about hockey. Well, I think the first thing is you're supposed to get the puck into the other guy's net, but that's really all I know.

Oh, and you're not supposed to get up to go get a beer when the action is going on. (The people behind me were VERY adamant about that one!)

Anyway, thanks again and I hope I don't embarrass myself too much if I contribute something stupid to a hockey discussion...

Best,
PJ
Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Thanks Dru,
I honestly don't know the first thing about hockey. Well, I think the first thing is you're supposed to get the puck into the other guy's net, but that's really all I know.

Oh, and you're not supposed to get up to go get a beer when the action is going on. (The people behind me were VERY adamant about that one!)

Anyway, thanks again and I hope I don't embarrass myself too much if I contribute something stupid to a hockey discussion...

Best,
PJ
Like any sport, rules can be confusing when you don't know the sport. Especially when you ask a question "why was that icing but the previous play wasn't". As long as you know who Gretzky, Crosby, and Ovechkin are you'll pass as a hockey fan .

Crosby gets 2 more points in the Pens' win last night and Bergeron/Marchard each had 3 in the Bruins' win. Good night.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Bergeron/Marchard each had 3 in the Bruins' win.

I was at this game, The Wild usually give them all they could handle, last night, they got beat like rented mules..

Debrusk's goal was a hoot,, the expression on his face was pretty priceless.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Like any sport, rules can be confusing when you don't know the sport. Especially when you ask a question "why was that icing but the previous play wasn't". As long as you know who Gretzky, Crosby, and Ovechkin are you'll pass as a hockey fan .

Crosby gets 2 more points in the Pens' win last night and Bergeron/Marchard each had 3 in the Bruins' win. Good night.
I guess I'm ALMOST there- I know the names Gretzky and Ovechkin (not in a good way 'cause he helped beat my Knights) but nothing about Crosby. Hopefully 2 out of 3 won't but me in the box...

Oh well, I guess we all gotta start somewhere.

Best,
PJ
Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Default Boston

Go Bruins!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic