The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-11-2024, 11:45 AM

Default Saddle for Yamaha FS5

I can't seem to find a bone B-compensated saddle for a new FS5. I ordered the "fits most post 2000 Yamahas" saddle (which seemed to be the most promising option) from MacNichols, but it is fully compensated and too thin to boot.

Can parts be ordered direct from Yamaha? I didn't see any way to do that on the Yamaha site.

Thanks for any info.

Kip
Old 02-11-2024, 12:34 PM

Do a search on this forum for "replacement saddle" and you’ll likely find a lot of threads on the subject.

You cannot buy a direct replacement off-the-shelf part that will fit your, or any other guitar for that matter. It will have to be made to fit the exact geometry and level of dryness or lack thereof of your instrument. Wood moves, shrinks, expands.

Any competent guitar repair shop can make you one that fits perfectly.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:57 PM

Default a question

New instrument, what reason is there to replace the saddle? Anything wrong with the one that came with the guitar?
Old 02-12-2024, 08:42 AM

Just want to lower the action a bit. The relief is good (almost flat), nut height is good, and really the string height is probably ok (6/64 & 5/64), but I think it would be a little more comfortable for me if it were a tad lower. I want a new saddle to sand down so I can keep the original in case I screw up. I don't really want to start with a blank and have to fashion an entire saddle.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:17 AM

Default a thought

I think any new saddle will have to be massaged into matching the original, so drop-in substitution might not be likely, but matching the two of them up isn't any big task.

Is there a 'Tusq' saddle sold as a replacement? If one is available it won't be the Yanaha-sourced unicorn anyway. Bird in the hand....

I've had good intonation using compensated Tusq saddles in my scratchbuilt instruments, so there's no comparing to 'oem' parts, these are 'oem' parts.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:42 PM

The MIJ Yamaha saddle is slightly wider/thicker (not longer not taller) than the MIC ones.
https://reverb.com/item/69035560-bon...5-mm-thickness
Old 02-13-2024, 03:00 PM

First thing to come to my mind is to ask Yamaha. You may want to try this site:
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/
Old 02-14-2024, 09:48 AM

Great! Thanks for those tips.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:35 PM

Was able to order the saddle from yamaha24x7.com. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:06 PM

Wow, great. A thing that strikes me about Yamaha is that, despite being a huge global company, they try to stay connected to their customer base. I'm working in the PA business and am often quite surprised that they have their own booth even at really small trade shows over here in Europe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair