The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Composite Acoustic GX Wide Neck Incoming

Pulled the trigger on a new Composite Acoustic GX Wide Neck. Only problem is I have to wait 2 more weeks for the order to get filled.Argh!
Anyway, while I wait, can I get string suggestions from any who have this guitar? I beleive it ships with Elixirs, which I have never played. I'll give em a go, but I usually go with Daddario pb's. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM

I tried all kinds of strings on my CA, always went back to Elixirs. PB were always my choice on wood guitars but I found them too subdued on my CA. For $5 it's worth trying them all.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM

When I demo'ed the GX, I was underwhelmed by the sound--it sounded thin an buzzy--until I swapped out the strings. I tried standard D'Addario EJ17s PB, and thought it really improved the tone. Some of it may have been going from lights (.12-.53) to mediums (.13-.56); I think the heavier strings drove the top better. But some of it is the sound of the Elixirs--to be fair, I put Elixir lights on my HD-28, and thought they sounded thin and buzzy on that guitar too.

That said, now that I have my actual guitar (I hope you actually get yours in two weeks or so, my special order took 5 months!), I think it sounds far better with the stock Elixirs than the demo model I had. I haven't even bothered to change them out.

I'm going to try EJ16's first, keep the light gauge but standard PB. Then we'll see about mediums, and I have a suspicion Monels might sound good but I haven't tried them yet.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

I have had a thin neck CA GX for about 5 years and tried a lot of strings on it. I eventually settled on .12 "Reds" for a mellow piano-like tone, however, I recently tried Newtone Double Wound Master Class and like them, too. They are the only ones I've tried that give the Reds a good challenge ~ for my purposes ~ and they last a lot longer.

I will mostly be sticking with the Reds, though.

Both the Reds and Newtones are worth a try during your experiments (along with the "major brands)". If you try the Reds, be aware they have a life cycle that runs about a month, with a mid-life sweet spot.

Strings ~ and picks ~ ... don't forget to experiment with picks if you use them (I use Dunlop CF picks that have been dipped in a grip stuff made for drummers) ...make a big difference on the CFs. Which is a good thing, you can "dial in" the sound you like. It just takes some work to find the right combination for the sound you like.

Enjoy your new guitar!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber