The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-30-2019, 11:04 AM

That's a terribly unflattering photo! And it's misleading.

Here's a short video interview with him in November. He looks and sounds in great shape, is writing songs for a new album, and is energized by his tour schedule. He says it's not hard work because it's fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlG3A3X4HgA

For a guy who's had the life and health problems of Gordon Lightfoot, it is a miracle he even made it into his 80s. And to still be so excited about making new music, recording and performing... Wow! Amazing!! Hope to catch one of his tour dates.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 PM

I saw him in 2013...he looked like you'd expect from someone who almost died twice, but it was a great concert. His guitar playing hasn't missed a beat--just as good as it was in the '70's and '80's...his voice has lost a little range, but he adjusts the arrangements so that you hardly notice. He did 25 songs with an intermission...second to last song was "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", which was just stunning. Well worth seeing!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:45 PM

He received input that folks wanted to hear more tunes so he does a few medleys that satisfy those folks who are happy to hear 'some' of a lot of tunes. and explains it onstage and has a grand time as does his audience.. the standards are always played and in their full iteration.. we all would like to hear many that he hasn't performed in decades but that's not possible..lol.. he has a 2 hour window with a break and he's onto the next venue/city! lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJeff View Post
I was lucky enough to see him about 2 years ago. He’s definitely showing his age, and shortens up some of his songs, but.... still amazing to see a legend get up there and give it his all! So many are gone or not able or willing to perform anymore, so it’s good to be able to still see one of the greats do what they do best.

JeffD
Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have always been a huge fan and though I haven't seen him live in some years, I say more power to him. If he wants to keep touring and folks want to still pay to hear him, then it is all good. Health issues have stopped other greats like Linda Ronstadt, Neil Diamond and Joni Mitchell from still touring but I bet they would still be out there if they could and they would have no shortage of paying audiences.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Those who find this picture shocking haven't lived long enough to see their own faces and bodies sagging and wrinkling up. Hard or soft living still brings a person to decline. The best thing to do is develop a real good sense of humor about it all.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have always been a huge fan and though I haven't seen him live in some years, I say more power to him. If he wants to keep touring and folks want to still pay to hear him, then it is all good. Health issues have stopped other greats like Linda Ronstadt, Neil Diamond and Joni Mitchell from still touring but I bet they would still be out there if they could and they would have no shortage of paying audiences.

Best,
Jayne
And there are others who don't let health problems stop them (as Gordon has not). They include Ian Tyson, who had throat surgery to enable him to sing again, and then came back from a heart attack and resumed touring. He had additional heart issues and stopped touring for some time, but a peek at his site will show that he is still getting out there when he can. FYI, I saw him for the first time after his throat surgery; I had never seen him live, nor did I see Ian & Sylvia, and I am plenty old enough to have done so. This was when he was 79. His show was great, and when he came back to town (I was living in the Denver area then), I saw him again. Still a wonderful performer (with a fine catalog of songs). I very much admire the performers who stay on; each of us can make our own choice about going or not but when the fans still want to see a performer and the performer loves getting out there, it is win/win. Anyone who want to stay home can do so. PS: I run a Gordon Lightfoot fan site, just so you know my perspective.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
PS: I run a Gordon Lightfoot fan site, just so you know my perspective.
I have enjoyed your web site often. Nice work, and I envy the connection it has afforded you over the years. I have always wanted to meet him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN