The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Why not a Ted, Emerald X20 acoustic challenge?

Ted bought a Emerald X20, and surprisingly, is probably not going to be an endorser? Why not put it on a road trip? I'm happy to pay the shipping to have it for a week. I had one of the first ones built on a road trip for a week, years ago and to be honest it didn't win my heart over. Would love to see if things have changed. Would write a honest review after the week.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Count me in. I have owned an Amicus and an X7, but I chose to move on from them. I would love to play an X20 to see if that size works for me.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM

I wish Emerald would do road trips state side so I could get my paws on a variety of their gems. I'm not interested in buying an Emerald sight unseen, ears unheard.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:36 PM

I would be up for the idea of a road trip guitar. Play it for a week, then pay for shipping it on to the next person in line. The big question for me is how many steps any specific guitar might make before someone opted to keep it? Maybe part of the Road Trip agreement is you cannot buy THAT one, but have to either return it or pass it along, then order your own. Of course that requires a cooperative / speculative retailer to front the guitar in the first place. And since Emerald only sells direct, there is nothing in it for the retailer.

At least with Emerald and CF guitars in general, you won't have the variability of tone wood and can order sight-unseen with confidence.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:52 PM

I'll second that - definitely up for a road trip, especially as I am now in the Lower 48. I'd be very interested in playing an X-20 12 and the Amicus.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

No benefits for Ted...You guys should aim your desires at Sean and Emerald. I bet he reads this. Good luck with it. If anyone is passing thru central Arizona, they are welcome to play my X7 or X20.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
I'll second that - definitely up for a road trip, especially as I am now in the Lower 48. I'd be very interested in playing an X-20 12 and the Amicus.
You expecting Ted to buy an X20-12 and an Amicus just to send 'em around??

I made a post in the Guitar Materials Sound Comparison thread regarding a road trip... but there isn't much of an upside for Ted without something to compare to the X20. He isn't a dealer; Emerald sells direct, no dealers. If someone really appreciates what the X20 brings, Ted has essentially promoted his competition. If you aren't wowed by the X20, without another CF or ekoa as a comparison, there still is no sale for Ted.

I think Emerald has been very busy making guitars for sold orders and the monthly Select Series that a road trip has been put on the back burner.

For the record, all 3 CF guitars I own were purchased long distance, without getting to play them... no disappointments.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:02 PM

And if a long distance purchase really doesn't work out for you, Emerald is good about returns as long as you pay the return shipping back to Ireland (~$90 USPS) and return it in brand new condition.

Jdinco, I might take you up on that. I will be making a trip to Sun City some time in the fall driving down from Boise (usually via Vegas, but not always) to visit my mother-in-law -- but only once Phoenix area temperatures are out of the truly ridiculous triple digits. If we can connect, I'll bring along my Rainsong WS-1000N1 and Lucky 13 along. Perhaps we can even get Kramster involved and have an Arizona CF rally?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
And if a long distance purchase really doesn't work out for you, Emerald is good about returns as long as you pay the return shipping back to Ireland (~$90 USPS) and return it in brand new condition.

Jdinco, I might take you up on that. I will be making a trip to Sun City some time in the fall driving down from Boise (usually via Vegas, but not always) to visit my mother-in-law -- but only once Phoenix area temperatures are out of the truly ridiculous triple digits. If we can connect, I'll bring along my Rainsong WS-1000N1 and Lucky 13 along. Perhaps we can even get Kramster involved and have an Arizona CF rally?
If the "AZ Rally" was after the first of the year (say, February or March), I could be in on that. And, would have an X20 and an X7 for "show and tell."
Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If the "AZ Rally" was after the first of the year (say, February or March), I could be in on that. And, would have an X20 and an X7 for "show and tell."
You need to make a recording of sound comparison between the X20 and your Taylor 814 and Post it. That really is what I'm trying to do with getting a X20 for a week. Compare it to my best wood guitar. Ted could do it as well but not sure it something he would be up for? I would do it if I could get a X20.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Captain Jim - you have a good point. I keep forgetting that!! I automatically think of the road trips from MacNichol's in SLC.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Actually if Ted is not too attached to the X20, this could be a win-win for him and someone on the road trip. He could try something like a road trip combined with a Dutch Auction. Set a price for a round and then let whoever agrees to the price have it at the end of the round. The later bidders who also meet the price will have to talk to Sean or Ted into sending out another guitar that might work for them.

If the set price is not met, then Ted can send it again when enough people want a road trip, drop the price and send it again, or take it off the market if he decides he doesn't want to sell it.

This sort of trip is ideally suited for carbon fiber guitars and if Ted or anyone else is interested in more road trips I would be game to sign up for a carbon fiber guitar in the 12 string variety, harp guitar or double neck to try for a week assuming the timing works out. Exciting whatever happens!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 07-05-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Edited to add that order is important in determining who is getting the guitar.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
You need to make a recording of sound comparison between the X20 and your Taylor 814 and Post it. That really is what I'm trying to do with getting a X20 for a week. Compare it to my best wood guitar. Ted could do it as well but not sure it something he would be up for? I would do it if I could get a X20.
Hi Steve,

That will have to wait 'till we're home again (probably sometime in mid to late September). I bought a Zoom h4n Pro for recording after getting the X20, but it is just the X7 that is out and about with us.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Ted bought a Emerald X20, and surprisingly, is probably not going to be an endorser? Why not put it on a road trip? I'm happy to pay the shipping to have it for a week. I had one of the first ones built on a road trip for a week, years ago and to be honest it didn't win my heart over. Would love to see if things have changed. Would write a honest review after the week.
Steve, as you all know I looked in to doing a road trip, but I didn't get much interest, not from members here, not from clients who are not members, and no interest from all but one of the builders I deal with. Truth is, there is little financial interest in doing road trips. Dealers are not guaranteed a sale, even if someone likes, and can afford the guitar, and the builders are not guaranteed of a positive review.

So, now that we've eliminated the idea of road trips for profit, I have another idea, one that would be fair to all involved. How about we do a guitar sharing of sorts. I will send this x20 out on the road and share it with others who are also willing to do the same with their guitars. Steve, since you brought it up, I would love to try your double neck, and would gladly pay $50 to bang it around for a week. Capy Jim can send his woody on the road, and Mike can do the same with his Savoy.

What say you all?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Boy, it got quiet all of a sudeden, You can hear a pin drop ! LOL

Great response Ted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber