The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Interesting guitar, and congrats, RP! I would like to try one of these, but there are no Rainsong dealers locally. My days of buying dreadnoughts are mostly in the past too. And I'm probably done buying guitars anyway - revoke my forum account if you must.

My goal is to become like RP and get rid of most "extras", consolidating to just a few CF keepers that I already have now. I can even see parting with a couple of the CF guitars, but I'm mostly concentrating on getting rid of the wooden ones for now. Winter humidifying season is upon us.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Earl. Sooner or later the unadorned appearance of the Vintage will come up in conversation. I'm not a fan of bling so I like and appreciate the relatively plain-Jane nature of this guitar. I'm watching Echo in the Canyon as I play my new Vintage; and seeing early folk-rockers playing pretty basic Martin dreads, it's easy to see a straight line between Rainsong's Vintage and its possible inspiration from 1960s Nazareth, PA.

The other aspect that might come up is the Rainsong/Emerald comparison given this new direction for Rainsong, and I think that's like comparing apples and pineapples. They're both fruit, but very different fruit. Of course we don't know if this is a new direction for Rainsong or merely a trial balloon that's being sent up to determine if it will remain aloft. Despite being made of carbon fiber, Rainsongs remain a fairly traditional design while Emeralds are more, can I say, experimental in nature. I like it....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-06-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new RS. I've owned some bling-ee guitars and still own a couple of Emeralds with fancy tops and I love them. But, my go-to favorite gigging guitars are still plain Jane Dreads. It is what I gravitate to most of the time.

Just finished Echo in the Canyon. Loved it, very well done and interesting.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

Last edited by benderman57; 11-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Congratulations on your lovely new guitar!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:39 PM

I can't wait to encounter one in the wild. I'm very curious to hear what the spruce layer does to the tonal character. Glad to hear first-hand from a forum member!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for your kind wishes. It's a great guitar, and kind of cool to think that until Jon Fields gets his next week, I might be the only individual in the world who owns one...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks to all for your kind wishes. It's a great guitar, and kind of cool to think that until Jon Fields gets his next week, I might be the only individual in the world who owns one...

Cool when that happens
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Cool when that happens
It's a first for me so I guess I can cross that off my Bucket List....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I misunderstood Helene at LAGS. They will be getting the guitar from RainSong next week and then maybe another week for it to get to Pennsylvania.

Randy, your exclusivity deal might have an extra week!

I do remember telling her I've got plenty of guitars and there is no rush, and getting sidetracked discussing favorite Scotches with Ted :~). Seems we both prefer a sherry casked Highland Scotch these days...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I misunderstood Helene at LAGS. They will be getting the guitar from RainSong next week and then maybe another week for it to get to Pennsylvania.

Randy, your exclusivity deal might have an extra week!
Thanks for the update, Jon. YIPPEEEEEE!!!
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Rainsong Vintage! I am sure many of the CF geeks, like myself, would love it if you posted a video so we can see and hear this beast. ~ Mike
Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Very Cool RP, Congrats on that awesome looking RS. I thought Kramster already had his too? And I'm seeing 3 RS and 2 Emeralds, looks like you need one more Emerald to keep things balanced out. Play the crap out of it !!
Old 11-07-2019, 10:16 AM

i keep looking at that pic and thinking....whoa, cool Martin! Then you look inside the soundhole and see the weave.

What a cool guitar RainSong. I think these would look great with more exotic wood tops too- not just spruce. Just thinkin'.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
i keep looking at that pic and thinking....whoa, cool Martin! Then you look inside the soundhole and see the weave.

What a cool guitar RainSong. I think these would look great with more exotic wood tops too- not just spruce. Just thinkin'.
Obviously we can't crawl into Ashvin's head and pretend to know where the Rainsong train is headed but I think that the current new offerings, Nashville and Vintage, signal a different direction than going head-to-head with Emerald's exotic top wood offerings. Using an analogy, my feeling is that Emerald:PRS electrics :: Rainsong:Fender electrics. In other words, Rainsong is going for a more traditional wood guitar look.

After having had additional time to play and enjoy my Rainsong Vintage, I wanted to share a few observations. First of all, I find Rainsong dreads and N2 necks to be very comfortable to play. Others have said that as guitars increase in price, the differences become smaller. I'd say the same thing when comparing my H-DR1100 and my new Vintage. The tonal difference(s) is not vast but more incremental. I'm not good at describing the nuances of tone but would say that the tone of the Vintage is warmer and softer (in tone, not volume) while the H-DR's tone has a sharper (brighter???) tone. The obvious question then is do the differences between these two justify the considerable price difference. The honest answer is no.

But let's face it, most of us don't shop for and buy our guitars in the same way that we buy ground beef at the grocery store. As the price rises above, let's say $1500, certain intangibles enter into the equation along with the tangibles. I'm not talking about GAS but thoughtful guitar purchases in which certain modifications, be they structural or cosmetic, become desirable "must haves" despite the price. For me, the cosmetics, the incremental tonal difference along with the personal satisfaction of owning an instrument that is at least for now fairly unique was worth the price of admission. Given the current very limited popularity of carbon fiber guitars, others will likely see my choice differently, but I don't tend to put my guitar purchases up for a prior vote...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Hi Randy, Is your Hybrid Dreadnought a 14 (N2) or 12 (NS) fret guitar?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber