The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I'm local in St. Louis so can only speak to the in-person appointment experience, but I've never had a better experience trying and buying guitars. It's a fun place to be and I just feel a lot of joy being there.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:51 PM

Default Still bad

I know that this is an ancient thread, but almost ten years on, these guys continue to engage in what I would consider bad business practices at best and a bit shady at worst.

Here's some things to know about their "policies".

NO RETURNS on "used" guitars.

Very limited window to return new stuff.

10% "restocking fee".

They will twist all over the place trying to make any listing mistakes seem like they were your fault...instead of just admitting it and moving on, leaving behind a happy customer who might deal with them again.

In a soft market, it seems that they should offer a bit better customer service.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:42 PM

I second that about Fuller's. Nice guys, very pleasant to deal with as compared to Eddie's. Wish Fuller's site was easier to navigate, and it'd be great if they separated new from used in the search parameters...but insofar as their ethics are concerned, they're great.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM

Lots of great shops out there
Old 02-19-2024, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigignatz View Post
I know that this is an ancient thread, but almost ten years on, these guys continue to engage in what I would consider bad business practices at best and a bit shady at worst.

Here's some things to know about their "policies".

NO RETURNS on "used" guitars.

Very limited window to return new stuff.

10% "restocking fee".

They will twist all over the place trying to make any listing mistakes seem like they were your fault...instead of just admitting it and moving on, leaving behind a happy customer who might deal with them again.

In a soft market, it seems that they should offer a bit better customer service.
None of this is shady in the least and just about all of this is pretty must standard across most of the higher end online stores in the US. Their "USED" guitars are essentially closeouts. You might want to call them and talk to them before slandering.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:16 PM

I have purchased 1 five figure Santa Cruz from Eddies and had them order another custom SCGC ( MY 75th birthday present to myself ) that involved a lot of communications between buyer,builder and dealer and ,again ,was 5 figures.... Matt at Eddies went above and WAY beyond with Customer Service to me.... I ONLY dealt with Matt... YMMV.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 02-19-2024, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
None of this is shady in the least and just about all of this is pretty must standard across most of the higher end online stores in the US. Their "USED" guitars are essentially closeouts. You might want to call them and talk to them before slandering.
I’m not sure you understand what slander is.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
Iím not sure you understand what slander is.
Ah. Must be another lawyer or law student who wants to leave the land of regular layperson speak for the finer legal language gaming points of libel v. slander. Happy to talk 1A with you anytime! Heck, you can join my philosophy and law class if you would like as well!
Old 02-20-2024, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I can't say I've ever heard of used guitars being essentially "closeouts", and all the higher end shops I do business with allow returns on used guitars.

Just sayin', but not sayin' anything specifically about Eddies's, with whom I have not done business for no particular reason.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 02-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maicobmw View Post
I can't say I've ever heard of used guitars being essentially "closeouts", and all the higher end shops I do business with allow returns on used guitars.

Just sayin', but not sayin' anything specifically about Eddies's, with whom I have not done business for no particular reason.
On this I agree - but they are not the only ones. Maybe it's how certain brands require to get around price arrangements? I don't know. But I do not on FB and Ryan, most of those "used" new looking guitars are closeouts. I do think it is more common not to allow returns on closeouts when the deal is very low, but on something that is actually used...so there's that. But to call their policies shady or otherwise is altogether another thing. If you don't like them, then just move along. They are great guys with great inventory. Ask questions and I bet you will be surprised at the service and response.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
SnS, really well said. As long as the policies are stated it's not as described by the other poster. I've bought from them twice and had great experiences.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I've never dealt with Eddie's Guitars, but I really enjoy Matt Chulka's videos on their website and YouTube channel.

I'll just point out two things:

1. This thread is 12 years old. A lot can change in 12 years.

2. Eddie's has now been in business for more than 50 years.

I find it hard to imagine any independent guitar store, especially one that specializes in high-end boutique instruments like Eddie's, lasting for 50 years using unfair business practices.

Is resurrecting a zombie thread just to call out a dealer by name and idly sling mud at them warranted?
Old 02-20-2024, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

There are habitual abusers of return policies, who buy guitars just to try them, then return. I imagine a shop's policies are born from experience. They can run their business any way they want. You can choose to be a customer or not.

I don't pay much attention to anything but my own experience.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-20-2024, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

By a complete coincidence, just after I submitted my post above, about 10 minutes later I got a phone call from... Matt Chulka at Eddie's Guitars.

This morning I had sent him an email asking about their policies on consignment and guitars taken in trade. He apologized that he hadn't replied sooner(!) and we had a very pleasant conversation. I found their trade-in policies to be more generous than other stores, and I may work with them in the future.

Last edited by jmagill; 02-21-2024 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah. Must be another lawyer or law student who wants to leave the land of regular layperson speak for the finer legal language gaming points of libel v. slander. Happy to talk 1A with you anytime! Heck, you can join my philosophy and law class if you would like as well!
So youíre saying you should have known better?

For everyone here: Itís only defamation (slander or libel) if it isnít true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion