The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 06:43 PM

Default NGD - Gibson Southern Jumbo - Really Gibson?

Got my new Southern Jumbo. Absolutely great tone, superb sustain, etc. I'm in love. The finish is great, a few bits and bobs here and there, which I don't care about, but overall it's a fantastic music instrument.

And then...

The truss rod cover.

Hear me out: the Southern Jumbo is the 'pimped up' version of the J45 (with a different neck profile), so great appointments, yet still with a kind of restraint that makes it really appealing. It's quality without too much bling...

But the truss rod: a piece of crappy plastic that makes me feel ashamed of the Gibson company. Surely you can do wood here? Actually you should ALWAYS do wood. J45 or Southern Jumbo. How do you explain that on a $3k+ guitar? Which is even more unbelievable as the rest of the appointments are great. Why Gibson, WHY????

It's pathetic...
Old 05-27-2022, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I think the plastic truss rod covers are tradition, not pathetic. It goes back 100 years to the Loar era Gibson mandolins and carried over into the guitars. I'm sure you could find, or make, a nice ebony cover as an upgrade.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:50 PM

You should just send it back for a refund
Old 05-27-2022, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

What were you expecting? Gibson has literally never put a wooden truss rod on SJ's. Pretty sure the new Generation series are the only ones they've ever done wooden truss rod covers on, which makes sense considering those guitar buck a lot of the traditional ways Gibson does things. Seems like an odd thing to care about...
Old 05-27-2022, 06:56 PM

I've literally never seen a Gibson, either acoustic or electric, with anything other than a plastic truss rod cover.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 PM

I've had plastic parts on instruments dating back 130 years. There are exceptions, but generally those plastic parts have fared better than the wood they're glued to. While you can't make the whole guitar out of plastic and have it come out the same, I'd rather see a maker use durable materials wherever possible - especially on a guitar that expensive.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:17 PM

It's disappointing and in turn, in context of where that guitar sits on the scale of their line up, pathetic. Like buying a Ferrari with plastic covers on the wheels.
It's just such a small detail, why not do it right? Why not be proud of what you do? It's not about the cost, these are expensive guitars to start with and a truss rod cover is a few bucks.

It doesn't "ruin the whole thing", it's just shocking. It doesn't make it "authentic" (I don't buy the "it's the way it's always been" rationale), it makes a great guitar look and feel cheap. It doesn't change the sound or the musical quality of the instrument - and lucky me this one rings brilliantly, it makes for a poor experience. If they do plastic, what else do they do wrong?

I suspect that's Gibson after all. A Les Paul would not be a Les Paul if its neck wasn't ready to break at a moment's notice.

Yes, I will source an ebony truss cover

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-27-2022 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:22 PM

There was a guy who used to make really cool custom wood truss rod covers, I think his name is Bill Nichols. He made a really nice rosewood trc for me a long time ago, maybe he's still in the game.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-27-2022, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glob View Post
It's disappointing and in turn, in context of where that guitar sits on the scale of their line up, pathetic. Like buying a Ferrari with plastic covers on the wheels.
It's just such a small detail, why not do it right? Why not be proud of what you do? It's not about the cost, these are expensive guitars to start with and a truss rod cover is a few bucks.

It doesn't "ruin the whole thing", it's just shocking. It doesn't make it "authentic" (I don't buy the "it's the way it's always been" rationale), it makes a great guitar look and feel cheap. It doesn't change the sound or the musical quality of the instrument - and lucky me this one rings brilliantly, it makes for a poor experience. If they do plastic, what else do they do wrong?

I suspect that's Gibson after all. A Les Paul would not be a Les Paul if its neck wasn't ready to break at a moment's notice.

As someone pointed out, it’s been that way for almost a hundred years. The wood binding people say the same sorts or things. Bottom line is plastic is cheaper and more durable over time. And it’s replaceable.

When I replaced the plastic pins with ebony on my J45, I just switched out the pins. The truss cover is replaceable. To each their own. Some like it, some don’t. Happy to see you making your guitar your own.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-27-2022 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 05-27-2022, 07:27 PM

Have one made for your guitar with your initials, or your kids. Think of all the materials you could choose. Might even improve it's sonic balance?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:28 PM

Pintrest is your friend. All kinds of sellers there of.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glob View Post

Especially when considering that a Southern Jumbo coming with a plastic truss rod cover shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone (and could easily have been Googled prior to purchase).

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-27-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Fwiw, Thalia Capos sells a bunch of wooden truss rod covers that fit Gibson guitars:

Thalia Capos—Gibson Truss Rod Covers

Not only is the truss rod cover on my 1974 Les Paul plastic, but because the guitar is left-handed, the print is upside down (Gibson has since made truss rod covers for left-handed guitars with the print direction reversed). I guess I was too naïve in 1974 to return it…
Old 05-27-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Fwiw, Thalia Capos sells a bunch of wooden truss rod covers that fit Gibson guitars:

Thalia Capos—Gibson Truss Rod Covers

Not only is the truss rod cover on my 1974 Les Paul plastic, but because the guitar is left-handed, the print is upside down (Gibson has since made truss rod covers for left-handed guitars with the print direction reversed). I guess I was too naïve in 1974 to return it…
Beat me to it. I bought one for a friend as a birthday gift for his Taylor 8 something? He said it was perfect and very well made.

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
There was a guy who used to make really cool custom wood truss rod covers, I think his name is Bill Nichols. He made a really nice rosewood trc for me a long time ago, maybe he's still in the game.
Yep, Bill Nichols.

He does real nice work. He did this “Excalibur & Vine” for my ‘02 Taylor 814c back around ‘04.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F649883C-06F5-4013-BDDB-91BE9D67CC08.jpg (47.8 KB, 317 views)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion