The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 04:54 PM

Default Guild M-120 GAD/Mahogany Top Tone machine? Video Tips

Let’s Talk Guild GAD. For all you Guild Lovers and maybe those considering snagging a GAD Guild in the future. Here’s a Video I made discussing some Tips on what I did to sweeten up the Tone on my 15 year old M-120 GAD. Gotta love these all Solid Guild GAD Bargains!!! https://youtu.be/ZnDq2T1n5Qk

Last edited by Sage Runner; 05-27-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:03 AM

Sage, that seems like a fun project ending with a good sounding guitar.

When you say that you reduced the thickness of the finish 3/4, how do you know how much (thickness) finish you had to start with, and how do you measure how much you've taken off throughout the process? Do you measure at multiple spots on the top, or just next to the sound-hole, or ?

I know Taylor advertises 6 mil (.006") on their standard series and 3.5 mil on higher models. Out of curiosity how thick was the original finish (I'm almost afraid to ask).
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 05-28-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Sage, that seems like a fun project ending with a good sounding guitar.

When you say that you reduced the thickness of the finish 3/4, how do you know how much (thickness) finish you had to start with, and how do you measure how much you've taken off throughout the process? Do you measure at multiple spots on the top, or just next to the sound-hole, or ?

I know Taylor advertises 6 mil (.006") on their standard series and 3.5 mil on higher models. Out of curiosity how thick was the original finish (I'm almost afraid to ask).
I started On the top. I started in one small area about 4”-5” oval. Sanded until I could tell There was was a very thin layer of poly. By doing that I was able to evaluate how much sanding it would need to achieve that basic thickness across the whole top. 3/4 taken down on the top is just a estimate—but im confident it was in that range due to how thick the original poly was before starting. I used the same technique for the back and sides, but left a tad more poly. Much of this type of work is done by feel. When you handle the guitar now with the fingers/ hands. you can actually tell by touch how thin the finish and the wood underneath. You actually can hear the Wood /resonate response from your fingertips.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion