The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 07:23 AM
Guest 33123

Default I've been on a tear since 2019, feeling frustrated with myself

Hi guys,

From 2016 to 2019 I owned 4 guitars (Martin 000-18MC and 000-28VS and Gibson J-45 Standard and L-1 Blues Tribute) and a Fender acoustic amp. No major purchases during that time. Before that was a 5 year gap with no purchases. In general, it has been a series of long gaps between musical purchases over a couple of decades, due to multiple factors.

Since 2019 I have added 7 more (Gibson L-00 Vintage and J-185 Original, National Triolian and Style 1, Fender Strat and Tele and a Gibson SG) and a Marshall amp and then gave away the L-1 to my daughter. So 10 guitars of mine in the house now plus lots of other musical stuff and darn it I was actually looking at a Martin 000-15SM lately!

It has to stop. This burst of endless GAS has not caused financial hardship, my wife is cool with it, they all get played regularly and this is my only hobby but seriously 10? I'd have to be completely bonkers to add another.

Anybody else have it this bad? I suspect not!

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-27-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:26 AM

To each his own.
If you saw my men’s Cologne collection, you would probably have heart failure.
Maybe someday I’ll post a pic.
Then again, maybe not. I’m pretty sure I would receive advice to get some psychiatric help.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-27-2022, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I have been there in the past. At one point I had 18 guitars. Now I'm down to 8 and I feel much better about it. I probably should get down to about 4 or 5 to be honest.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Doug,

I once sold a bike to a guy who owned 57 bicycles. He bought mine because it was the only one in that company's product line he did not have (a rare out of production recumbent). He claimed to ride them all--he was a chef and worked at night, rode during the day, was single and apparently didn't sleep much.

So if you think guitars are hard to store and maintain......

Anyway, I hope that helps you put your GAS in perspective

P.S. Your post now has me jonesing for the 00 vintage!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:35 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
P.S. Your post now has me jonesing for the 00 vintage!
There is one in the AGF classifieds right now!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

No. I feel like I'm over my limit at four. One has to leave before I get another one. That's my rule. My wife would let me spend $100,000 on guitars and have them stacked around the house. But somebody has to be the grown up here.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-27-2022, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I tend to be shy of answering the constantly asked question "How many guitars do you own?" and develop distractions - "look-a squirrel!"

I have more than you, and I'm not ashamed ... really.

GAS is a long term ailment.
The only (possible) cures are:
a) lack of storage space
b) financial hardship
c) arthritis
d) divorce
e) golf
f) any other ill-advised expensive hobby such as flying, racing cars, boating, fishing, drinking, chasing wimmins etc.

(N.B.-I don't recommend golf)
Old 05-27-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
There is one in the AGF classifieds right now!
Oh yes, I'm quite aware
Old 05-27-2022, 07:39 AM

I have no idea how many guitars I own but it's definitely north of 50. I've owned literally hundreds. I rotate them in and out and many of them see regular playing time but some really don't get played much at all. I like to think that when my Daughter goes to college, I'll sell a bunch of them.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anybody else have it this bad? I suspect not!
yes, maybe worse....

I "only" have 7 acoustics and 3 electrics at the moment , I used to have more of each, so I'm " dwindling " so to speak !

but I buy about 3 or 4 acoustics a year, and sell about the same per year

end of April I bought myself a birthday present, a new Larrivee D40R with a Swiss Moon spruce top

I said that is it, no more, ever

and a few weeks later I bought a Gibson G00 , thanks to one of the threads right here on the AGF

....that J185 original sounds lovely.... natural or 'burst?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:44 AM

I knew someone who had accumulated over 100 guitars, and only a dozen or so could be kept in his small apartment. He sold all but one to raise funds for a down payment on a house. So J-Doug, it could be worse….A LOT WORSE.

I own 8, which is more than I had ever intended to own. But I play them all, enjoy them all, and owning 8 is not a source of financial hardship or marital conflict. And I may buy another in the coming weeks…I’ve got my eye on a couple that are for sale in the classifieds.

If you want it to stop, then that is OK. If you don’t want it to stop, sounds like that would be OK too. It doesn’t have to be a big deal…
Old 05-27-2022, 07:45 AM

So do what I did - grab a handful of them and trade them in for something REALLY nice...THAT will cure GAS! (for a few months anyway ).

Actually with the way prices are going these days? May be more cost effective just to keep em...replacing anything is $$
Old 05-27-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

In my case, what I really truly need to do is get down to ONE guitar and focus on a musical style instead of having multiple guitars covering multiple musical styles that I won't have time to get to in this lifetime. Jumping around only results in frustration.

When I was learning to play guitar, I had one guitar and was focused on one style. I made progress and always looked forward to the next time I could spend with that guitar.

Now, I feel spread way too thin and have too many choices. Why do I do this to myself? When did the guitar, the tool, become more important than the application (i.e. making music)?

Edit: Don't mind me, I am worn out and cranky today, having over-extended myself yesterday running too many errands and getting too much non-music chores done.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-27-2022, 07:46 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
....that J185 original sounds lovely.... natural or 'burst?
Natural:

Old 05-27-2022, 07:50 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I tend to be shy of answering the constantly asked question "How many guitars do you own?" and develop distractions - "look-a squirrel!"
My daughter asked "how many now?" the other day and I actually felt embarrased!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion