The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 04:48 AM

Default Which builder are you most curious about?

You’re constantly hearing praise about this builder on the forums, but have never seen one in the wild. Which one are you dying to get your hands/fingers on and why?
Old 05-27-2022, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Lol - all of them! Sexauer, Beneteau, Hatcher, Gervais, Olson, Kinnard (both of them!), Doerr to name just a few that pop into my head. Pretty much anything lauded that I have never played in person.

But if I had to pick one it would be Edwinson guitars. Like the Hatchers, the guitars coming out of his shop are works of art. SprintBob has an Edwinson Zephyr that I drool over every time I run into a photo.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lol - all of them! Sexauer, Beneteau, Hatcher, Gervais, Olson, Kinnard (both of them!), Doerr to name just a few that pop into my head. Pretty much anything lauded that I have never played in person.

But if I had to pick one it would be Edwinson guitars. Like the Hatchers, the guitars coming out of his shop are works of art. SprintBob has an Edwinson Zephyr that I drool over every time I run into a photo.
I've really enjoyed my Edwinson. Steve is a really nice guy to boot.

Now that I have one, the one I'd really like to try would be a Wilborn.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:27 AM

For me, it would be Applegate and Heinonen. I love my Charis GC and would like to try other guitars built in the James Olson vein. I think there is something special about these guitars and they are still attainable.
Christian

Last edited by birkenweg42; 05-27-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:35 AM

You will find that the vast majority of luthiers are really nice guys (gals, too); it seems to be a profession that attracts this sort of person. If you don't enjoy people and interacting with them, you won't remain a luthier for long.

As far as ones that have attracted my attention, there are many who build to the same quality and standards as those I have already. I enjoy having one from each luthier who has attracted my attention. And well as one of each wood that has done the same. I can't have them all, though it would be fun to be filthy rich and try.

Some have names bandied about here and others fly under our radar. Not all exhibit at the shows either. If you can sell all you can make, and at prices that satisfy you, why go to the trouble and expense of exhibiting at a show? ("People" would be the answer for these folks.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:15 AM

Dake Traphagen. Ever since I heard David Grier play a Trap dreadnought, I’ve been fascinated. “Woodiest” sounding dred I’ve ever heard. Doubt I’ll ever get my hands on one though.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

FRAULINI! Yup, I'd love to experience one like Mary Flowers has. I don't see that happening though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-27-2022, 08:02 AM

Lots of talk about Iris these days. I'd like to find out what their signature tone is all about. My current guess is a slightly fuller voice than Waterloo, but sharing some of the same qualities.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

With full understanding that I'd never be able to afford one, I would very much like to play an Isaac Jang built guitar.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-27-2022, 09:31 AM

I'm intrigued by Yairi
Old 05-27-2022, 09:36 AM

I've been looking at the Collings D-1. Not that I'm going to get one. I don't need any more guitars. Haha. I would like to play one but we don't have any around my area.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:38 AM

For me, it's definitely all of the builders who work in the style of more left-field early 1900s American builders - I'm talking about Fraulini, ARK New Era, J. Brentrup, Montuoro, Hauver, and those folks. I'd also really love to play an original Larson build.

Were it not for the three year waitlist, I probably would have ordered a New Era by now.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Got Santa Cruz on my mind. It would be a stretch and take a lucky break to be able to afford one though.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Having been to quite a number of guitar festivals over the years, I have been fortunate to play examples of many fine luthiers’ guitars. But, since 2013, I haven’t been to any such gatherings. So, for me, it would be EJ Henderson and Rebecca Urlacher. I would love to chat with each of them about their build philosophy and play their guitars.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-27-2022, 10:50 AM

Too many to list, but off the top of my head, I’ve heard so much about Franklin guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion