The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-25-2022, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Facebook Marketplace Scams

Just curious on how this works. I have been selling some smaller items (under $200) on Facebook Marketplace to some success, however, as soon as I list something a bit pricey (over $1000) I am inundated with scam offerings.

Right now, I have someone wanting to buy a piano who says he's from nearby town. But I told him the piano is in Alaska, can he pick up? Here was his response,

"Graham Carpenter
Of course, my partner can do 10am tomorrow or anytime after 5pm today but do you have zelle so i can make the payment now."

Previous to that he said, "I rate the pictures on the advert, do you have zelle so that I can make the payment now."

Sadly, this is getting more and more common. Scams that is. FWIW, Facebook is not a safe place to buy anything. The ads that come up are usually bogus or very overpriced items that are not worth much.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 05-25-2022, 01:10 PM

My experience is Facebook scams don't really work differently than scams I've seen my whole life. For context, I grew up with a farm, two scrap yards, and at times traded antique and collectable stuff in addition to commodities. For a while I bought and sold a fair amount of guitars too.

You always need to establish trust. I don't respond to anything suspicious via Facebook, Craigslist or eBay differently than earlier means of trade. One way to establish some safety is via where you arrange your handoff in the transaction. If no one wants to meet me at a police station lobby about 1.5 miles from home or an establishment with LP cameras I don't do the transaction.

Edit: I don't hold stats on whether or not scams are worse in recent times. It might be worse because a whole lot of people are enjoying activities like thrifting and home flipping. Technically, there are payment systems and protections that can make it better.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
FWIW, Facebook is not a safe place to buy anything. The ads that come up are usually bogus or very overpriced items that are not worth much.
Facebook isn't a safe place to do ANYTHING. If it's not the scammers it's their data collection. Avoid like the plague!
Old 05-25-2022, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I haven't used FB in years. But recently I went there to look at a certain guitar. I found one and "followed" it.

It sold a few weeks ago. In the meantime, I've received 7-8 emails telling me that eBay has changed my password to protect me, from what I don't know.

I'm sure it's a scam, although I'm not exactly sure what they are after. I've tried to change the password myself, but cannot.

I am completely DONE with that place. Nothing but pimps and thieves there now.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

The Zelle Scam works like this. The "Buyer" claims to have made payment on the Seller's item, and the Seller receives a not so convincing email from a bank. The email, complete with numerous mistakes, states that the Seller must send an overage payment to the "Buyer" after which the complete sale price will be sent to the Seller....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-26-2022, 06:18 AM

I've seen a ton of camper/trailer scam ads on FB lately. Reverse image searches find the campers on sale at legitimate dealers.
The seller/scammer tells you they moved away, but can 'ship' the camper to you, and will use an 'ebay' seller format and you will have 5 days upon receipt to return the camper if you don't like it. What kind of fool buys a used camper unseen and expects someone to ship it to you (freight included in sell price - usually $1200 or less) at a super low price?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Marketplace is filled with scams--many elaborate and convincing.
However, I sold a boat,, a 4runner, and a teardop camper on there in the last 2 yrs with no problems. Have also bought a lot of things.
I was scammed once on FB for a couple hundred, but got it back from my bank after a lot of hassles.
The new scam is a buyer wants you to send them a code "to verify you are real." Somehow they can hack your info from that I'm told.
The RV scams flood my page daily...who is going to sell a new Airstream for $800? Report them, and 10 more pop up. Just a lot of evil in your face daily IMO.
Ps--the rude comments by some buyers are quite shocking to me.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Data collection and selling info has been the marketing backbone of the internet since day one (pre FB).

Your post reminded me about this when I just walked out the check the mail, and got a T-Mobile solicitation addressed to my sister at my address---she passed away 20+ yrs ago. Happens all the time.

Bad data is just bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Facebook isn't a safe place to do ANYTHING. If it's not the scammers it's their data collection. Avoid like the plague!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I know noting about "Zelle" which seems to operate only in the US.

I buy and sell with payment via Paypal (not F&F).

As soon as I get an email from them saying I have money, I go in and transfer it to my bank.
done, irreversible.

Alternatively, I've bought & sold by direct bank transfer.
Buyer sends funds to my bank account.
My bank account is credited in seconds - Irreversible. done.

I never get a response to this option so maybe unavailable in the US ???
Old 05-26-2022, 10:55 AM

I've never had any issues selling via Facebook fortunately. I only use local instrument buy and sell groups though and insist on meeting in person for the transaction.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I know noting about "Zelle" which seems to operate only in the US.
It's a bank-to-bank transaction, but the scam part comes in when the "Buyer" sends a not-so-convincing email that claims that a Zelle payment was made when, in fact, it wasn't...
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic