The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM

Default Inherited 50's Southern Jumbo, Need Luthier Recommendations

Hey all,

I just inherited my grandfather's Gibson Southern Jumbo. I believe he bought it new in 1954 for $150. It was the guitar that I first learned to play on, and the reason my main guitar today is a J-45. This guitar was "rode hard and put up wet." I don't ever remember it having a case. The bridge and tuners were replaced back in the 90's, and neither are correct. But back about a decade ago when my grandfather was alive it was at least playable. Unfortunately, now it isn't. It's been stored in a closet the last decade or so. The top is sunken between the bridge and sound hole, top has a centerline crack behind the bridge. The back also has a centerline crack, the back brace closest to the lower bout has completely come off, and the one nearest the sound hole has come loose on one side. The replacement bridge is cracked.
Anyway, this guitar means a lot to me and I want to get it back in playing and stable condition. I know it's going to take someone with some pretty good skill and knowledge of a vintage Gibson. I live in Northeast Louisiana, and I don't know of anyone around here. I'm not going to ship this guitar. But I'm not opposed to driving to Nashville, Atlanta, or some other good sized city within a day or so of me.

So, ideas or suggestions of who might be able to do this? Time is not a huge factor, as I know most of the best are busy.

PS I'd post a few pics but don't know how.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 05-26-2022, 11:18 AM

This guy might be worth a visit to discuss.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...-152840429662/
Old 05-26-2022, 11:45 AM

I own a 1955 Southern Jumbo. It had a crack in the top repaired that was caused from pickguard shrinkage. The luthier is in Seymour, Indiana if you are interested in going that far away.
He does excellent work.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Maybe call Gruhn Guitars and/or Carter Vintage and explain the situation and ask for a recommendation. It sounds like you may need extensive restoration work, so you want the right repair person.

Judge Wolfe in the Lexington, KY area is highly regarded as well. A little further away though.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair