The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 05:30 PM

I have played with metal fingerpicks for about 50 years and I have tried them all. The repeated problem I had with most of them is the painful damage to my cuticles. Dunlops and most national style picks, in fact any pick with two bands causes this problem. It was solved with Acri picks either in brass or steel (I prefer brass) and large fits my fingers. They have one large flange rather than two that has been shaped pretty well. By far the Acri is the most comfortable pick I have ever used, though like everything else, they take a little getting used to.
https://www.elderly.com/products/acr...27928718606400
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-23-2022, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I've been using Alaskas and a Fred Kelly thumpick for almost twenty years. I think the Alaska's success depends a bit on your individual type of nail bed, but I love 'em
I’m another Alaska Pics user based on seeing and hearing Eric’s experience with them. I believe they have the most natural feel and you can really optimize the shape, length, and finish of the artificial nail.

Fred Kelly thumb picks are my most preferred and I have a few Black Mountain’s also that work for me. Tonally they seem not as bright or loud as the Fred Kelly picks which is desirable at times. Most disappointing (and expensive) was the Blue Chip thumb pick. I love their flat picks but their thumb pick does not work for me at all.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-26-2022, 11:09 PM

I'm actually finding my "flesh" fingerpicking is improving because (I think!) of the thumb/fingerpicks. I'll keep on w/both. Different sounds for different songs.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-27-2022, 05:25 PM

I’ve played with a thumb pick since I was 9, adding one, then two, then three fingerpicks over the many years I’ve played guitar. My current and favorite set up is a clear plastic pointy Dunlap thumb pick and three clear plastic Dunlap fingerpicks. For each of the thumb picks, to get them to initially custom fit my fingers (for example if I lose a pick) I microwave the fingerpick for about 12-15 seconds and then take it out of the microwave and with the heat making it flexible, form it around the fingertip that I will be wearing it when I play. It usually re-stiffens and cools within a few seconds if previously microwaved about 12-15 seconds. Sometimes I also reshape the angle of the pick. From there it holds its customized shape of my finger for the life of the pick.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion