The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-14-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Hangin' Dog

This is an instrumental tune on mandolin by Nancy Blake that I decided to learn for my online mandolin lessons. This is a quick practice run-through, one time, to check the backing track I recorded, since it wasn't part of the regular lessons. (The original, with her and Norman Blake accompanying, moves along at a much quicker pace! Like I said, I'm *learning* it )

It also let me test a mic I hadn't used for this purpose before, a Beyerdynamic M201. It was just stuck on a boom in front of me, between the guitar or mandolin and the computer as I recorded it. I think it does a very good job for this kind of use, capturing the instruments natural tone well.

The mandolin is an Eastman I got from an old friend last year, and a guitar I made back in 1980, about the time I saw Norman & Nancy Blake in Eugene, Oregon.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=keith.rogers;7000917]This is an instrumental tune on mandolin by Nancy Blake that I decided to learn for my online mandolin lessons. This is a quick practice run-through, one time, to check the backing track I recorded, since it wasn't part of the regular lessons. (The original, with her and Norman Blake accompanying, moves along at a much quicker pace! Like I said, I'm *learning* it )

Hi Keith,
Beautiful music!!!
I love the way you play your instruments, and the sound is so authentic.
Truly lovely recording.
Rene
Old 05-14-2022, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi Keith,

That is a very cool song, the combination of the guitar and the mandolin! Sounds great! Nice recording, too! Great job on this, Keith!

- Glenn
Old 05-20-2022, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for listening the comments, Rene & Glenn.

Here's a video I did of this a couple days ago when my open-mic bud, Kim, stopped over and we did a quick run-through. (Ok, this is the 2nd take with the "cameras rolling" - there were a couple before!) The tempo is getting close, with a few stumbles, and, of course, his guitar work adds a lot!

Old 05-20-2022, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Really like it, well done IMO the tempo is great ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-20-2022, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Really like it, well done IMO the tempo is great ....
Thanks. It's not going to get any faster than that !
Old 05-20-2022, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Very nice work both of you. You've each done a great job of playing difficult and distinctive parts on your respective instruments. The result in wonderful, don't change a thing!
Old 05-24-2022, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Nice playing, I could listen to that all day!
Old 05-24-2022, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Very nice work both of you. You've each done a great job of playing difficult and distinctive parts on your respective instruments. The result in wonderful, don't change a thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broy View Post
Nice playing, I could listen to that all day!
Thanks!

Besides acknowledging Nancy and Norman Blake for the original, this tune really caught my attention on Bob Minner's recent CD, From Sulphur Springs to Rising Fawn (I mentioned in a LISTEN thread a while back). Here's the YouTube link to the full album.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:18 PM

Great tune, and I really like the way you play it with your friend Kim.

I have been learning the Blake’s song “Billy Grey” for the last few weeks. I had forgotten how great their music is. Time to go get a Norm & Nancy Blake refresher course…
Old 05-27-2022, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
Great tune, and I really like the way you play it with your friend Kim.

I have been learning the Blake’s song “Billy Grey” for the last few weeks. I had forgotten how great their music is. Time to go get a Norm & Nancy Blake refresher course…
Thanks!

I was introduced to Norman Blake's playing around 1973 when I got an apartment with a good friend I'd known since Cub Scouts who also played a bit of guitar. (Doc Watson was soon after that.) But, along the way of falling in with layabouts in a R&R band for a few years, and then off to "working for the man" some decades, I'd pretty well let that stuff slip away. Just recently got a wakeup call and it's been refreshing to listen to and spend some time working on doing justice to some really great material.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell