The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2022, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Default XLR cable keeps getting stuck in device

I just started recording my acoustic guitar after all these years. I have a relatively new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is great and easy to use. I just bought an AT2020 (bundle w/ boom arm and desk clamp, cable is inside boom arm). I'm very happy with the mic generally.

But the XLR cable that is attached to the boom arm keeps getting stuck inside the input of my audio interface and requires a lot of force to get out. I'm concerned I'm going to damage the device.

After some searching online, I'm reading that XLR connectors commonly get stuck in a variety of devices. I'd like to continue using the boom arm as I just got it and it suits my small recording space. I tried using two other XLR cables that are new and the same thing happened.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2022, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't be too worried about having to use a bit of force to remove the XLR cable. My worry would be if it required force to insert it because then I'd be exerting pressure that pushing away from the plate to which it's attached. I've never seen an XLR connector come loose but I have seen TRS connectors come loose so I suppose the same could happen with an XLR connector.

There are a couple of options that I see...
1. Contact the manufacturer and ask if this is normal or a defect. If it's a defect, ask how to get it sorted.
2. You can simply leave the XLR cable in place all the time.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-13-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Opps double

Last edited by KevWind; 05-13-2022 at 02:32 PM. Reason: opps double
Old 05-13-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I just started recording my acoustic guitar after all these years. I have a relatively new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is great and easy to use. I just bought an AT2020 (bundle w/ boom arm and desk clamp, cable is inside boom arm). I'm very happy with the mic generally.

But the XLR cable that is attached to the boom arm keeps getting stuck inside the input of my audio interface and requires a lot of force to get out. I'm concerned I'm going to damage the device.

After some searching online, I'm reading that XLR connectors commonly get stuck in a variety of devices. I'd like to continue using the boom arm as I just got it and it suits my small recording space. I tried using two other XLR cables that are new and the same thing happened.

Any suggestions?
As long as you pull it straight out,, you won't likely damage the connector

If your regular cable XLR's are also getting stuck
Sounds like the XLR connection on the interface is either tight or possibly there is a machining burr on the little click keeper tab. You can't do much about the connector on the interface (other than send it back)
But first ::
I would just take one of your other cables and maybe sand the outer sleeve edges (and if you can the tab slot) . just a tiny bit with fine grade sand paper and then just connect and disconnect it a bunch of times .It should get a bit looser with use

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-13-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions?
You have the interface with 2 combo input jacks? Do both jacks have the same problem?

If only one of the jacks have this problem you may want to check on a warranty repair or replacement.

You could possibly use a short XLR cable as an extension, modifying whatever is causing the problem by removing a bit of the extension cable's connector, then just always use that short cable with that input. You can get them as short as 3 feet.

The Focusrite uses combination XLR / 1/4" inputs and these have a long history of making it more difficult to plug and unplug cables. The combo connector trades smooth and easy use for the convenience of being able to use either type of cable.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I contacted AT and it was suggested I reach out to their parts department to have them send me a new boom arm w/ cable. They couldn't guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen so we'll see...at least they responded with a solution right away.

Focusrite said sometimes the metal housing on some XLR cables is a tad too large for their inputs and suggested a different brand cable.

I did try sanding it already but it didn't seem to do much. I'll try that again if the trouble continues. There is not release button on the cable or the interface and it's not feasible to leave it in there all the time.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:07 PM

I think something I might try is a short squirt of DeOxit Fader Lube to the inside of the cables XLR connector and wiping the outside with some on a paper towel. It is said to work on metal to plastic and plastic to plastic surfaces, so it may help lubricate whatever is getting stuck. DeOxit cleaners/lubes are safe for electronics, so if the squirt in the cable connector helps, a short squirt into the Focusrite combo jack can't hurt. (It does come out of the nozzle quick!!)(WD40 gets a lot of praise, but I would not use it for lubing/cleaning electronics gear you care about)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ent-spray-5-oz

DeOxit is handy to have around even if it doesn't help the XLR stickyness. I have both the DeOxit D5 and Lube at my workbench and many a times it's brought a dead or noisy switch back to working correctly.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I think something I might try is a short squirt of DeOxit Fader Lube to the inside of the cables XLR connector and wiping the outside with some on a paper towel. It is said to work on metal to plastic and plastic to plastic surfaces, so it may help lubricate whatever is getting stuck. DeOxit cleaners/lubes are safe for electronics, so if the squirt in the cable connector helps, a short squirt into the Focusrite combo jack can't hurt. (It does come out of the nozzle quick!!)(WD40 gets a lot of praise, but I would not use it for lubing/cleaning electronics gear you care about)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ent-spray-5-oz

DeOxit is handy to have around even if it doesn't help the XLR stickyness. I have both the DeOxit D5 and Lube at my workbench and many a times it's brought a dead or noisy switch back to working correctly.
Thanks very much that looks like it might do the trick. Will get it and report back.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I contacted AT and it was suggested I reach out to their parts department to have them send me a new boom arm w/ cable. They couldn't guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen so we'll see...at least they responded with a solution right away.

Focusrite said sometimes the metal housing on some XLR cables is a tad too large for their inputs and suggested a different brand cable.

I did try sanding it already but it didn't seem to do much. I'll try that again if the trouble continues. There is not release button on the cable or the interface and it's not feasible to leave it in there all the time.
Except you stated that you tried other cables with the same result ? which diagnostically suggests it is something in connection in the Focusrite not the cable/s

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-14-2022, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Except you stated that you tried other cables with the same result ? which diagnostically suggests it is something in connection in the Focusrite not the cable/s
It could be the interface connections have a snug fit since I’ve not used XLR cables with it ever until recently. It could be they were designed that way. It could be most cheap cables are going to fit the same way. That is probably why Focusrite suggested a specific type of cable.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It could be the interface connections have a snug fit since I’ve not used XLR cables with it ever until recently. It could be they were designed that way. It could be most cheap cables are going to fit the same way. That is probably why Focusrite suggested a specific type of cable.
Over the years I've mostly built my own cables. I've mostly used Neutrik or Rean (a budget branding of Neutrik). I've also tried some cheap ones from eBay(Chinese). The Neutrik and Rean most always fit in a jack as they should with no binding going in or coming out. The Chinese ones are much less consistent and seem to have more issues with some jacks. Could be some of the cables you have went the budget route on the connectors(?)
Old 05-14-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I have a 2i2 (3rd gen) sitting right here next to me, and an XLR cable does take a bit of oomph to remove. A gentle tug won't do it. It feels like it "sticks" a bit before it pulls out, but IMO in a good way--it's secure and won't accidentally get yanked if the cable is disturbed. I can't say whether your situation is different, though.

Also I'm curious what the boom arm on the mic stand has to do with it? You can use any cable with a mic stand boom, unless it's some odd model where they are integrated.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:01 AM

Consider the cable, as "combo deal" pack cables might have lower end connectors.

It's the other end, the one that likely fits into the mic, that has this, but cheap XLR cables sometimes skip the little rubber O-ring that makes it easier to get the connector unplugged and latched when plugging in. Little things like that make better than the cheapest cables more pleasurable to use.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-14-2022, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
Over the years I've mostly built my own cables. I've mostly used Neutrik or Rean (a budget branding of Neutrik). I've also tried some cheap ones from eBay(Chinese). The Neutrik and Rean most always fit in a jack as they should with no binding going in or coming out. The Chinese ones are much less consistent and seem to have more issues with some jacks. Could be some of the cables you have went the budget route on the connectors(?)
Focusrite recommended the Neutrik cables/connectors for similar reason. I'll keep that in mind moving forward.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I have a 2i2 (3rd gen) sitting right here next to me, and an XLR cable does take a bit of oomph to remove. A gentle tug won't do it. It feels like it "sticks" a bit before it pulls out, but IMO in a good way--it's secure and won't accidentally get yanked if the cable is disturbed. I can't say whether your situation is different, though.

Also I'm curious what the boom arm on the mic stand has to do with it? You can use any cable with a mic stand boom, unless it's some odd model where they are integrated.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree, it's better for it to be snug for the just the reason you mention. What the boom arm has to do with it is that the cable is integrated inside it, which I like, for my purposes in the space I'm recording in. You can't extract the cable from the boom arm unless you cut it. Probably a good idea in theory but lousy in execution (cheap cable) with this particular Audio Technica bundle.

I suppose one day I'll outgrow this particular setup and will buy decent cables and a boom arm that are interdependent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD