The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-25-2022, 12:16 AM

Default some mental floss for you........

Thought I would share this with everyone.
I've been working on Leyanda (Asturias) Albeniz for over 40 years. This is the best rendition/performance I've heard or seen. Check out the chord crescendos yet his right hand doesn't really move then realize those powerful whacks are simply the weight of his fingers force striking the strings not the weight of your wrist striking the strings. I usually want to shoot my hand after seeing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5y4Rp3tU8
Old 04-25-2022, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

John’s 81st birthday yesterday. An astonishing musician.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-07-2022, 04:04 AM

I believe it was Segovia and Williams who set the tempo and standard for Austurias. Why did they set the bar so high???

One day, I will play this piece.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:14 PM

One tip many teachers have told me when playing this type of pieces made originally for other instrument is to listen to the original version just so you can see how it is played normally by musicians who are not guitarists, because there has been a tendency created by guitarists, to, let's say, "deform" the piece (like not respecting the rhythm, the tempo indications or just by playing very rubato). So I encourage you to listen asturias played on the piano and notice the difference, that might help you!
Old 05-07-2022, 03:17 PM

It's an interesting piece, because Albeniz (as I understand it) was essentially imitating the guitar when he wrote for the piece for piano, which was then arranged back for guitar.

This article by Stanley Yates has some good info, I think:http://stanleyyates.com/writings/leyenda.pdf
Old 05-09-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Great read Carey. Thanks for sharing that Yates doc.
I too think that Williams set the bar for that piece in his recording. It doesn't get much better than that on guitar. But you don't have to be a virtuoso to benefit from the piece by playing it within your abilities. (Stick with it Su H.!)
For yucks, here is a piano version. It sounds great, but I still like it best on guitar.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-09-2022, 04:49 PM

Hi Andre. I've taken your advice and backed off Austurias. I haven't studied the piece in over a year. I've been playing much easier pieces and working on my right hand. I've made significant strides in my right hand but it's not quite there yet. Every now and then, I would play the triplets of Austurias and realize it is easier than before and notes are cleaner.....so I think my right hand is moving in the right direction. And I've to the conclusion (maybe you can vouch for this statement) that in order to play Austurias, you'll need a good right hand.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:12 PM

Thanks Andre, I agree with you I much prefer it on guitar. I honestly thought his timing was off somewhat on the crescendos with his right hand, it just didn't sound right to me.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Andre. I've taken your advice and backed off Austurias. I haven't studied the piece in over a year. I've been playing much easier pieces and working on my right hand. I've made significant strides in my right hand but it's not quite there yet. Every now and then, I would play the triplets of Austurias and realize it is easier than before and notes are cleaner.....so I think my right hand is moving in the right direction. And I've to the conclusion (maybe you can vouch for this statement) that in order to play Austurias, you'll need a good right hand.
Hi Su. Sounds like you're on the right path! (pun intended )
Sometimes you get the bear. Other times the bear gets you. We've all been there. Congrats on stepping away for a breather. It's very beneficial to do so and re-group. I'm sure this time away from the piece and all the good practice will help a lot when you re-commit yourself.
I would personally rank Asturias as a two handed challenge, but certainly the right hand work is very demanding and exacting, as is the concentration required to maintain the overall phrasing and character of the work. You didn't pick an easy one, that's for sure. Best of luck with it going forward, and kudos for keeping the piece in mind while practicing. Isolating the areas of difficulty to work on, and selecting easier pieces, preferably with similar technique requirements, is an excellent way to progress and get you back on target.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-01-2022, 11:19 PM

I was just re-reading this thread, and realizing that there's quite a bit of
music written for keyboard that better comes to life on the guitar. Quite
a bit of Scarlatti fits that bill, though I think it could often use a rougher treatment than guitarists generally give it.

David Tanenbaum's recording of K.336 seems good to me, as an example of how it "should" go.

Last edited by Carey; 08-01-2022 at 11:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical