The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-16-2022, 06:31 AM

Default What Albums Captured Superb Tone?

What are some albums, old or new, that really captured great classical guitar tone? I am really fascinated by sound engineering, especially pre-digital. This is a side bar question, but what are your favorite albums on vinyl? I used to collect records when I was younger, but my knowledge of classical guitar on vinyl, is zilch.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:54 AM
Musical minimalist

Not albums, but single tunes.....also not classical music, but...

Old 02-16-2022, 09:16 AM

On The Way is fantastic. . That compilation album shown was actually a GREAT album in itself.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-27-2022, 06:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
What are some albums, old or new, that really captured great classical guitar tone? I am really fascinated by sound engineering, especially pre-digital. This is a side bar question, but what are your favorite albums on vinyl? I used to collect records when I was younger, but my knowledge of classical guitar on vinyl, is zilch.
I'm only suggesting you watch & listen to this Youtube recording of Paul Galbraith because I think you'll be forced/inspired/compelled to find some of his studio recordings based on a measly Youtube example.

He's amazing, and his 8 string guitar with resonating platform is about as full as you could imagine.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 02-28-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

'On the Way' is fantastic to play, such a neat concept (bit of a stretch though). I agree, the tone is beautiful. Oddly I feature on the YouTube playlist for the album ('Prelude From the Bridal Suite') - not superb tone.

I listen to a lot of original Segovia recordings on vinyl, they sound very primitive; Julian Bream's are much more clear and refined, especially 'The Art of Julian Bream'.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 02-28-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:55 PM

I like David Tanenbaum's 'Lute Masterworks' from 1987 a lot. The sound isn't
absolutely perfect- a little rolled-off on top, for one thing- but it's fairly close-miked in a way that's pleasing, and I really like his playing on it.
It's out of print but pretty easy to find. After over thirty years I still listen to
something on this disc almost every week.

The 'Segovia and the Guitar' LP came to mind after reading JM's mention of him- the sound *is* a little murky, but somehow it's detailed and intimate, anyway. The Narvaez tracks beginning side one still captivate me, and side two
has the Manen Fantasia-Sonata, which I'm surprised and glad Segovia recorded. Cool photo of a very serious Segovia with one of his Hausers on the cover, too.

Julian Bream's 'Nocturnal' on EMI from 1993 has sound that I didn't care for
at first, but now it seems real good. One of his last discs, and a favorite.
YMMV.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:25 PM

Default Göran Söllscher consistently gets a wonderful tone.

Especially with his Bolin 11-string alto guitar. 11-string baroque is a particular favourite of mine, where the extra bass notes add great depth to some wonderful and accessible pieces, beautifully played.

David Russell is another player whose recordings sound full and warm.

And of course Julian Bream. So many recordings, many of which capture the maestro’s use of tone and colour very well.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:15 PM

I agree about Söllscher. One disc of his that I especially like is called 'Greensleeves', on DG. He plays both 6 (Sor, Bach Chaconne) and 11 string on it, with the Chaconne by Weiss on 11-string having a magical feeling to me.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

Thanks for reminding me of the incredible Windham Hill album. I still own it. Andecy, Bridal Suite and The Handing Down are also gems in my book. Have learned parts of a couple tunes but not an easy chore. Timeless music from a wonderful album.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Pretty happy with my recording of Lauro's Vals Criollo as realistic to guitar's sound as played in an ordinary room.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 05-27-2022 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2022, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Pretty happy with my recording of Lauro's Vals Criollo as realistic to guitar's sound as played in an ordinary room.

As you should be. One of your best. You really capture Lauro’s lyrical style in that piece really well, and with great tone.
I noticed in your tag that you don’t seem to have that guitar any more. It was a Ramirez 1a, wasn’t it? That’s what comes to mind.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-27-2022, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
As you should be. One of your best. You really capture Lauro’s lyrical style in that piece really well, and with great tone.
I noticed in your tag that you don’t seem to have that guitar any more. It was a Ramirez 1a, wasn’t it? That’s what comes to mind.
Thanks Andre. Sold it many years ago to a person who makes his living playing classical guitar. At that time my focus was playing flattop guitars.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-27-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I'm only suggesting you watch & listen to this Youtube recording of Paul Galbraith because I think you'll be forced/inspired/compelled to find some of his studio recordings based on a measly Youtube example.
If you can ignore his breathing: His 1998 Bach violin sonatas/partitias was ruined, for me, by his heavy breathing. Once noticed, impossible to tune out. Pity, ‘cos the playing is stellar.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-27-2022, 03:56 PM

Amanda Cook’s “Selected guitarworks of William Lovelady” is wonderfully recorded, as are Andrew York’s “Yamour”, or “Equations of Beauty / Home”. The York is available on vinyl.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-30-2022, 05:31 PM

This Carlos Barbosa-Lima Concord CD from 1991 has a very natural, small-room sound, I think: https://www.allmusic.com/album/music...s-mw0000675056

Also, he did an LP of Scarlatti transcriptions that is really good, though I'm not sure it got transferred to CD. Before I heard it, I thought of him as slightly on the 'academic' side. Hoo-boy, not on that LP..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical