The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Natural top to Sunburst

Crazy question perhaps...but is it possible to decorate the top of an already natural spruce acoustic guitar top with say, a sunburst finish after the fact?

If possible...would it require the luthier to remove the top of the guitar to do the work?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

I haven't heard of this being done - I'm sure it is possible but I suspect that most luthiers would turn the job down.

It wouldn't require the top to be removed (oh no!) but I suspect the bridge would need to be removed (?) and possibly the binding, and the current finish would need to be sanded off (tricky). The rest of the guitar including the internals wold need to be well covered, and latterly refinished.

Of course, you'd get the burst he/she does and that's it. The value of the instrument would probably also be significantly reduced.

Advice: get another one in burst!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM

Yes, not hard for those that do refinishing, I would agree, most "Luthiers" these days would possibly turn the job away.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM

Guitar Re-Ranch website sells burst finish aerosol, and has lots of good instructions and a forum for this. Check them out.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:32 AM

Easy enough for the right shop.... I do stuff like this from time to time. Top would be prepped, burst sprayed and new clear coats then level and buff. May not even need to pull the bridge depending on original finish type.

But the average shop doesn't have a spray booth and all the different materials on hand to do this type of work so you will most likely need to send it out. I would charge $200-$300 for a job like this typically depending on type of finish.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM

No need to remove the binding. To prevent color from getting on the binding, it can be taped off or the color can be scraped off before the clear topcoats are sprayed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair