The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 11:51 AM

Great playing… it does sound a little dark but definitely like a Martin! Not bad - if it’s new the strings are new. A brighter set (80/20s) could sound really good? At least it’s not harsh or brashy.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

After thinking about this, I think it's your thumb. I couldn't open your clip, but Martin's are bassey guitars. If you've been playing a bright guitar with weaker bass, you might have been banging it out with your thumb.

When I got my 0000-18 12 fret, I had to back off on my pick on the bass strings. It's an easy adjustment, give it a try.

Regarding your pick-up. This was recommended by someone from Fishman on this forum, turn the tone all the way to scoop and back off a turn, turn the enhance all the way off, and go up a turn. It works nicely for me into my Loudbox Mini.

Give the guitar some time, get used to it and I'll be you'll enjoy it for a long time. Good luck!

Last edited by lowrider; 05-27-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:30 PM

I've had a Martin GPCPA3 since they first came out. Spruce over Rosewood. It's a nice guitar with a very nice neck to get around on and it really shines when plugged in, as it was specifically designed to do. As a live performance guitar it's hard to beat, very easy to dial in when pushed to the PA. The amplified tone is extremely "mic'd" sounding with powerful Aura tone-shaping on board, no dreaded Piezo quack to be heard. The original full Aura system takes some study and knob twisting to become adept at getting the most out of the system and the guitar; but the payoff is a great sounding acoustic Martin guitar live on stage. It's not the big success they hoped for, I totally put that on the deep Aura system that really takes patience and a discipline that many guitarist do not posses, the ability to read the manual... I like playing it and live it sounds great. What's not to love.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
Great playing… it does sound a little dark but definitely like a Martin! Not bad - if it’s new the strings are new. A brighter set (80/20s) could sound really good? At least it’s not harsh or brashy.
Which 80/20 strings would you suggest? I've never used that type of string before. I had D'addario EJ16 on my previous acoustic.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:09 AM

Martin makes a Lifespan 2 80/20 - MA140T.
Other than those I dont know…my favorites (Markley Helix) were discontinued a few years ago, and I use mostly monel now. But 80/20 also gave a nice(r) vintage vibe on a few different guitars I’ve had.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcfc View Post
I’ve played it for a few hours. I can’t say I’m a great guitarist but the treble sounds quite dull and bass overpowering, maybe I’m just used to very bright guitars.
Try some Ernie Ball aluminum/bronze strings on it. Very responsive and less heavy on the bass.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:13 AM

Another phone recording, am I overthinking it or is the bass overpowering and general tone dull?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pl8...ew?usp=sharing
Old 05-28-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another phone recording, am I overthinking it or is the bass overpowering and general tone dull?

Maybe the Martin tone just isn't for you. What have you been playing? ''bass overpowering and general tone dull'' is just about exactly how someone who likes the Taylor sound would describe a Martin guitar.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Maybe the Martin tone just isn't for you. What have you been playing? ''bass overpowering and general tone dull'' is just about exactly how someone who likes the Taylor sound would describe a Martin guitar.
My last guitar was an Eastman AC122-1CE
Previous to that I had a Yahama Fg180 and Fg700.

A lot of singers I like play Martin guitars albeit Dreadnaughts so I think I do like the sound.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Are you basing your recording on how it sounds? Maybe you need to hear someone play the guitar. Phone recording is not the greatest, and also where is your phone in relation to the guitar? Maybe you need lighter gauge strings?
Old 05-28-2022, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Are others able to play the recordings? I get an error message when I try to play them.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Are others able to play the recordings? I get an error message when I try to play them.
Not sure why but I uploaded here too now http://sndup.net/g4tj
Old 05-28-2022, 01:20 PM

You can “download” them and then “view” and they’ll play.

The second seems ok - colorful but warm.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Do you have someone else who could play it while you sit and listen? You really don't hear a guitar correctly when you are sitting behind it. It's like listening from the back side of a speaker.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:04 PM

I see what you’re saying, unfortunately no one can play it for me to listen here. But on that recording it doesn’t sound all that good either. I’m wondering whether to take it for a setup, lower the action and put some 80/20 strings on it and see what it’s like then, but then I’ll have to keep it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion