The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-01-2022, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Default vintage 47s & 67s as an investment strategy?

When I bought my Flea 47 back in December 2016, a vintage U47 was going for around $14K-$15K. It took me a year to talk myself into spending what I spent on the Flea but had I bought the vintage 47, I could sell it today and buy a bouquet of Fleas.

If only i had $33K lying around doing nothing. But I really do wonder what the ceiling in on something like this. 5+ years ago, I didn't think this kind of appreciation in value was remotely possible.

I'm seeing a similar rise in value for the U67 also. I remember seeing these go for $8K-$9K about five years ago. I'm starting to wonder if buying vintage 67s and 47s might be a valid investment strategy.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-01-2022, 09:12 PM

Musical instrument market values are pretty volatile. I wouldn't buy any instrument as a financial investment. You could do a lot better with $30 k.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Musical instrument market values are pretty volatile. I wouldn't buy any instrument as a financial investment. You could do a lot better with $30 k.
I said nothing about investing in instruments.

YouTube
Old 05-01-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I said nothing about investing in instruments.
Ok mics. Absolutely different. Nothing like an instrument....I'm sure its a sound investment.... ;-)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Ok mics. Absolutely different. Nothing like an instrument....I'm sure its a sound investment.... ;-)
Not mics in general. I mentioned two specific mics. Have you spent any time watching the prices of the two mics I mentioned? Before you get snarky, you might want to see if you're making an argument that holds up to scrutiny.

YouTube
Old 05-02-2022, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I bought my Flea 47 back in December 2016, a vintage U47 was going for around $14K-$15K. It took me a year to talk myself into spending what I spent on the Flea but had I bought the vintage 47, I could sell it today and buy a bouquet of Fleas.

If only i had $33K lying around doing nothing. But I really do wonder what the ceiling in on something like this. 5+ years ago, I didn't think this kind of appreciation in value was remotely possible.

I'm seeing a similar rise in value for the U67 also. I remember seeing these go for $8K-$9K about five years ago. I'm starting to wonder if buying vintage 67s and 47s might be a valid investment strategy.
While there is no doubt that vintage mics particularly arguably the most famous U67 and U47 have had a steady increases in "asking" price (as has a number of "Vintage" items,,, some vintage Autos for example ) as far as an "investment strategy." ??? seems to me kinda iffy and hard to say.
Perhaps if someone was an experienced mic tech then that might be a better situation? But it would I think, would still have to be considered a high risk strategy
And one has to wonder what the saturation point is,,(price wise) ????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-02-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While there is no doubt that vintage mics particularly arguably the most famous U67 and U47 have had a steady increases in "asking" price (as has a number of "Vintage" items,,, some vintage Autos for example ) as far as an "investment strategy." ??? seems to me kinda iffy and hard to say.
Perhaps if someone was an experienced mic tech then that might be a better situation? But it would I think, would still have to be considered a high risk strategy
And one has to wonder what the saturation point is,,(price wise) ????
"kinda iffy and hard to say" would describe a lot of things people invest in, about which others wouldn't bat an eyelash. But U47s and U67s have done better in the past five years than both gold or a dow index fund. I'm not encouraging anyone here to do it (I'm not sure it would work for me because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to sell either mic in the end) but as investments go, it doesn't feel like the worst strategy in the world.

YouTube
Old 05-02-2022, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"kinda iffy and hard to say" would describe a lot of things people invest in, about which others wouldn't bat an eyelash. But U47s and U67s have done better in the past five years than both gold or a dow index fund. I'm not encouraging anyone here to do it (I'm not sure it would work for me because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to sell either mic in the end) but as investments go, it doesn't feel like the worst strategy in the world.
True gold and stocks can be iffy also unless you keep them at least 10 years or more, which historically has always show an increase.
And no question that those mic have jumped dramatically as you say even just 5 years.... And had one invested in them 5 years ago it would represent a significant profit. But the problem with niche market items is that "it is hard to say" if and or when they may reach a saturation point and while they may not go down dramatically the question is will they keep going up ?? .. At 30k it seems less likely they will be 60k in five years But Who Knows ??

Me I have always relied on real estate as an investment strategy But that is just me ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-02-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Me I have always relied on real estate as an investment strategy But that is just me ..
Real estate is usually a good investment but like most investments, timing is everything. People who became heavily invested in 2007 had to wait a long time to see a profit.

YouTube
Old 05-02-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Real estate is usually a good investment but like most investments, timing is everything. People who became heavily invested in 2007 had to wait a long time to see a profit.
Right. And I know we're not talking about instruments, but in 2007 I sold a couple of old, all original Fender basses right at the peak of the biggest bubble ever. The market for those is still 10 to 20 percent below where it was then, and now those instruments are 15 years vintage-er.

Couch Standards
Old 05-02-2022, 04:59 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It would need to be a long-term investment. At the studio where I work we've owned, and I've worked with, a U-47 since 1984. Its value has done nothing but increase over that time.

Many, many clones of the U-47 such as the Peluso, Flea, Bock, Pearlman, and even Warm Audio, have hit the market. There are sonic rivals to the original in this new crop, but the value of the original just keeps climbing.

Oh, and in recording engineering, we call our mics "instruments."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-02-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It would need to be a long-term investment. At the studio where I work we've owned, and I've worked with, a U-47 since 1984. Its value has done nothing but increase over that time.
If you could provide me an address and a floor map of the building with the location of the mic locker marked, it would be very much appreciated.

Quote:
Many, many clones of the U-47 such as the Peluso, Flea, Bock, Pearlman, and even Warm Audio, have hit the market. There are sonic rivals to the original in this new crop, but the value of the original just keeps climbing.
I don't know about the rest of the clones, but I paid $3400 for my Flea 47 and today it goes for $4500. So even the price of the clones is going up ...not as much as the vintage by a long shot though.

YouTube
Old 05-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, and in recording engineering, we call our mics "instruments."

Bob
Love that saying Bob! You know we tend to think of mics as just something that we use to capture our sound.

In reality, Mics are as different from one another as our guitars are.

So yeah - absolutely...a microphone should be viewed in the same many as we view instruments. Each one has its own personality.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:10 PM

I have sung through real U47s and I've never heard a clone sound like the experience I've had with those originals. They are just so large sounding. I just think the Neumann engineers hit it out of the park with that design. And now, even if you spend the $30,000 on an original, you still have to consider the cost of a backup, in-spec tube, for it. They only made so many of those tubes and they are ridiculously pricey and many of the sellers of these tubes are notoriously unreliable.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:35 AM

I've been increasing my gear holdings as I've equipped my little studio over the past 18 months.... just with more modest pieces than the ones mentioned here, buying used were I can. I've watched prices on some of the gear I've bought go up 10-20% in that short amount of time. Glad I bought every bit of it, because I certainly get some use out of it, and it ain't getting cheaper.

However at this point, it seems recession is likely on the way. Unless one is dollar cost averaging into microphones, I'd probably wait until we are in the teeth of whatever's coming before pulling the trigger on big, vintage pieces.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD