The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Martin Monels are my first choice on my Mahogany top guitars.
I've been very happy with D'Addario PB EJ 16s on my 324ce.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up

This is my custom 0-15 from 2014. Terrific to record with voice, perfect as a couch player. Tone and sustain that goes on forever. If I ever get another solid hog, it will be a 12 fret 00 size and just might be a Martin....

Old 05-28-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
I'm a recent convert. I purchased the Orangewood Oliver Mahogany as an experiment, and really enjoyed the extra clarity and punch of mahogany in the lower midrange.... really dug the sound of the Oliver in DADGAD tuning.. really suited the guitar.

My experience with the Orangewood put me on the market for another Mahogany topped guitar, resulting in my purchase of a used Ibanez AW54OPN Dreadnaught. Compared to my Spruce-topped dreads, I found the tone more focused and tight....I love how clear and well-defined my picking sounds on this instrument. Also really good resonance and overtones, but not as "juicy" as my spruce tops... and I like it. Hyperbole is common on these threads, but the Ibanez sounds much, much better than a guitar at its price point should.

I just recently replaced the Oliver with a Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert, which was an amazing upgrade. A much more refined and balance tone, and plays like a dream. The Whiskey-burst finish on the dark mahogany is really gorgeous.. definitely my favorite instrument at the moment.

I think a nice hog topped dread and/or concert is a nice addition to any collection. They certainly inspire a different touch and approach.
I own this same guitar. The finish is matte and thin. I think it helps tremendously with the tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion