The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-23-2018, 10:40 AM

That's about as conservative as a hot pink leisure suit! Wow!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am thinking this piece’s title will be “Rorschach”.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I am thinking this piece’s title will be “Rorschach”.
LOL not ink blot?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:41 AM

I’ll play...

I see a kangaroo with arms folded that has spent too much time in the gym. Riding an elephant.

Doc, what’s it all mean?

Last edited by IndyHD28; 02-24-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

I did choose a top for the Creature, and I put in a rosette. But Tim is now ready to go, so the TREE 00 project goes on hold for a while.

Tim's 2nd guitar will be a JB-15. That's Sexauer-speak for a fully asymmetrical OM paradigm multiScale. This one will have slightly longer strings than my average rendition, at 25.1" x 25.6". It will be made from my best Dalbergia tucurensis, of which this is my next to the last set. Best not because it is actually better than my worst, but because it is much prettier. You'll see.

Meanwhile, we have picked the Italian Spruce top:

Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Not too much going on in the shop on a Sunday. . .
Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

As long as Koal is hanging out in the shop, I might as well get something done myself. This is the rosette for Tim's JB-15:
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM

I gotta say that it's fun to see these two very different guitars come into existence. I can't wait to experiment with them side by side to figure out, learn and appreciate the differences between them. The closest I've ever been to this is when comparing my Martins (both modern and vintage) to my Sobells [very non-traditional "anti-Martin" (in the best possible way) guitars].

I play plenty of songs in standard tuning but also use oddball tunings like CGCGCD or CGDGAD. A good OM with the usual 25.4" scale can handle a low C in the bass just fine, but the touch longer scale in the bass of the JB-15 will make it a bit more clear and concise, and I'm looking forward to learning how the longer scale in the bass and somewhat shorter scale in the trebles affect tone, sustain, ergonomics, etc.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have joined up the JB-15's 4 piece Dalbergia tucurensis (Guatemalan/Honduran/Panamanian Rosewood, though it actually came from Belize) back, and you are welcome to try to find the joins.

Here's half the back nearly twice life size, if that helps:

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Snoikwood, mate.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous back on that one.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I am so glad that someone finally used that set of D. tucarensis.... As you know, I came close to selecting that set on my single 0. That is going to be a FANTASTIC guitar paired with that Rivolta Italian Alpine Spruce! Bruce’s D. tuc guitars are always special.

Tim, I made a similar decision on another guitar of mine to go with an uber high quality four piece back set (Madagascar Rosewood in my case). The result was visually and acoustically fantastic. No one can ever tell that it’s not a two piece back. Kudos on a great choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Snoikwood, mate.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 PM

That is a beautiful piece of wood! Too bad for some of us that it is gone...
Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 PM

Thanks, Bob. I know the builder to whom you refer about the 4 piece back: Mark Blanchard. I have his Tamarack model in the same wood with a 4 piece back. As with Bruce's work, it's been impossible for me to find the seams. Not to hijack Bruce's thread, but here's that Madagascar Rosewood back by Mark:

[IMG][/IMG]

Tim

Last edited by Tim Porter; 02-26-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add picture.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have a supporter in Connecticut, Mick Singer, who has a single 0 similar to Bob's, except it has a four piece back. Mick is absolutely convinced I am talking about some other guitar, couldn't be his. And I must say, he is generally an expert on such things. . . but he is wrong.

Tom: I do have another set as good (not quite a sister), and that is my last one of this quality. My policy is that I will hold it for you, if you ask, but you have to pay the upcharge on the barrel. That is not actually a lot of $$$ in this case, expecially compared to BRW!

I also have 25 or so sets of wonderful D tucurensis which isn't as pretty, but is as good tonally, and half the price. There are many guitars on "thelist" made from it that you could have a look at. I used to call it HRW (Honduran Rosewood), for that is what it was called 40 years ago when I bought it. This material came from Handlogger's Hardwoods in Sausalito, CA, the same place as most of "The Tree" we see came from. Tim Mahoney (rip, a couple of years ago, I recently learned) had that business and was involved with a mill in Belize which is where both The Tree and this D. tuc. were cut. At the same time too, and they probably came up together as well. Tim considered the HRW a liability and gave me a killer deal on it, so I bought all he had, and I have been building guitars with it ever since. Didn't buy any tree, though, it was both too expensive for me and it didn't seem like a lutherie appropriate wood as it was nearly all slab sawn. Times change.

Here is an example of the plainer HRW:

And here is a darker 4 piece back in which I CAN see the join:

The color does not look right to me in the second pic, I expect the current build to be much less red and deeper in the brown. We'll see!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop