The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Default Edwinson Consort

Steve, I was at Robb's shop last night, and saw the Consort that you dropped off the other day. While waiting for Robb to give a lesson before we went out for a beer and a bite, I took the guitar back in the sound room and spent an hour playing it.

Fabulous.

Great sound across the range, from a deep growly low end, but not muddy or unclear, to a lovely shimmer over the top in the highs. I both fingerpicked and strummed it and it did both quite well. Nice sound. May be my favorite guitar of yours that I've played

I've a couple of questions, though. First; is that actually a ceder top? (EI back and sides, if anyone cares) It sure looks more like some sort of spruce. I'm not sure that I've seen silking like that in ceder before.

Second, what is the nut width and scale that you are using? I know some of the larger guitars you build are longer scale. I ask because I found myself being off on my fretting hand finger placement regularly. What triggered the thought is that the guitar tonally rewards accurate finger placement, with a significant jump in tonal quality; something similar that I also found when I got the McAlister C is that you don't drive a Formula One car like a Volkswagen Beetle. My guitars, except for one, are all 1 3/4" and again, except for one, are 25" or less. However, yours has a very nice neck that was very comfortable to play. So I think that it might be more that my fingers are not quite finding the strings/frets exactly where they expect them to be, given how easy it plays. (I have the same issue when I switch between the Webber SJ's standard 25.4" and one of the shorter scale guitars, but as I do it regularly, I adjust rather quickly. I'd expect the same if I played this one regularly)

Nice beast you got there. Looking to have another go with it dropped into some Open tuning or another.

Tony
Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hi Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Steve, I was at Robb's shop last night, and saw the Consort that you dropped off the other day. While waiting for Robb to give a lesson before we went out for a beer and a bite, I took the guitar back in the sound room and spent an hour playing it.

Fabulous.

Great sound across the range, from a deep growly low end, but not muddy or unclear, to a lovely shimmer over the top in the highs. I both fingerpicked and strummed it and it did both quite well. Nice sound. May be my favorite guitar of yours that I've played

I've a couple of questions, though. First; is that actually a ceder top? (EI back and sides, if anyone cares) It sure looks more like some sort of spruce. I'm not sure that I've seen silking like that in ceder before.

Second, what is the nut width and scale that you are using? I know some of the larger guitars you build are longer scale. I ask because I found myself being off on my fretting hand finger placement regularly. What triggered the thought is that the guitar tonally rewards accurate finger placement, with a significant jump in tonal quality; something similar that I also found when I got the McAlister C is that you don't drive a Formula One car like a Volkswagen Beetle. My guitars, except for one, are all 1 3/4" and again, except for one, are 25" or less. However, yours has a very nice neck that was very comfortable to play. So I think that it might be more that my fingers are not quite finding the strings/frets exactly where they expect them to be, given how easy it plays. (I have the same issue when I switch between the Webber SJ's standard 25.4" and one of the shorter scale guitars, but as I do it regularly, I adjust rather quickly. I'd expect the same if I played this one regularly)

Nice beast you got there. Looking to have another go with it dropped into some Open tuning or another.

Tony
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your kind commentary, my friend. Robb took a shine to the new Consort as well. Me, I tried not to play it much, because I didn't want to start forming an emotional bond with it.
The top is indeed Western Red Cedar. One of the nicest specimens I've come across. I recall when I joined the top plate together early in the build, it [I]felt [I] like primo Sitka in stiffness, and was harder than most Cedar I've worked with. I'm guessing it came from a higher altitude tree, with hardly any twist in the trunk. The silking shows that this top is absolutely perfect quarter.
The nut width is 1 13/16" and the scale length is 25.5". I think the string spread @ saddle is 2 3/16". So the scale is a tad bit longer than your standard preference.
As to dropped tunings--this guitar kicks into turbo drive when you take it down to D and C based tunings. The longer scale helps for that. Next time you're at the Emporium, try tuning it down and capoing up. And make sure to buckle up.
I feel I'm being impolite to other viewers, not having pictures of this guitar posted yet. Once and for all, I'm going to try to figure out how it's done. I'm going to downsize my original files and try to figure this out. In the mean time, if anybody's interested, I put up a new page on my website about the new Consort. Here's the link: http://edwinsonguitar.com/Edwinson_L...ew_Guitar.html

I'll be back soon with photos--I hope. Best, Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop