The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Not always true about reselling and getting most of your money back. On my local CL there are tons of Martins for sale. I just picked up a mint D-18E for $1600. The seller took a bath on that one. I’ve had a Martin GPCPA4 Siris for sale at a fair price for three months and nothing but tire kickers.
Since the OP stated that he has the money for it, I'm assuming he's not in any great financial perils. So, if he decides it needs to go, he can probably sell it if he isn't in a hurry. In fact, he can sell it back to GC for a loss, but he'll still probably get half of his money back.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Just looked at Guitar Center's used guitar website. They have 5 used DRS2s listed, none of them are listed as being in my town...

But they're all priced at $650.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Honestly, I can afford both the 522 and the DRS2, without having to resort to ramen noodles... LOL

It's more about NOT having a bunch of guitars that I don't love to play all the time! I've recently downsized from 6 guitars to 2 - because I was never reaching for the other 4. I don't want to add 2 new ones that I don't reach for!
Okay okay, valid! Well if you're going to force me to vote...I vote for the 522. Do ittttttttt! Hahah.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Oops, I just did. Dang you Guitar Center and your guitar sales!!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Okay okay, valid! Well if you're going to force me to vote...I vote for the 522. Do ittttttttt! Hahah.
I agree. The 522 is a seriously awesome sounding guitar. And the shaded edgeburst looks amazing.

You should probably just get it today.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been caught offguard exactly twice by eBay search alerts for guitars I’d had my eye out for, one a Gibson Americana Ranger, the other. Huss & Dalton 00-SP. Each arrived on Saturday mornings, both were viewed before I had a cup of coffee or had even put my glasses on, and both had a Buy It Now option. You can all guess how it went from there.

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Spontaneous guitar purchases??

Done a few in my lifetime, nothing wrong as long as you keep your wits about you - sometimes it's just one of those cases where a guitar "speaks" to you, and you know full well that if you don't grab it some far-less-worthy individual will...
Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 PM

Well, it happened to me today. Stopped by the local pawn shop. There were a few items of interest - like a red label FG 180 (not Nippon Gakki, but the label did look red to me), but it had a bulging top behind the bridge. Too bad - it was only $199.

There was also a tired-looking CPX700II Compass in red burst. It was dirty, dusty, and the strings were from the Jurassic. Price was $299. Has a few nicks, but it cleaned up very nicely and a new set of Elixr PB Nanoweb lights has it singing tonight. I might flip it, or I might keep it. I also just recently picked up a FGX-04 LTD, so keeping both might be a bit much. Dang GAS. Or maybe the Seagull needs to find a new home. Cedar tops just don't do it for me.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM

I try not to make spontaneous purchases myself, but sometimes you have to make exceptions. First one.... I went into a Guitar Center maybe 18 years or so ago just to “browse”. Which being a lefty usually consists of a short walk around to see if they have any lefties in stock. This day I found a used Epiphone Emperor hanging on the wall...hmmmmm, maybe I’ll just take a quick look. Close to mint condition for a very reasonable price and played and sounded excellent. Put it back and walked around the store looking at other items for a bit. Came back around and had a second go with it. Talked to the sales guy and got a few bucks off and a hardcase and never regretted it. It was the guitar I used when I played in front of 130 people last summer in my first and only “gig”🙂

Second time I was buying strings in a much smaller local guitar shop. I always browse what they have, usually find a Yamaha, a Martin X series, and maybe one or two other inexpensive guitars. This day there was a used Taylor 114 hanging there. My only other acoustic experience has been on a couple Yamaha’s over the years which both needed neck resets. Needless to say I was impressed with how easy the Taylor was to play. Salesman was great, encouraged me to play as long as I wanted.... which turned into a solid hour and a half.... before I paid for it and walked out the door.

Of course the caveat is that finding lefty guitars locally is a bit challenging, so when something good comes along you can’t necessarily count on finding another one.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 04-21-2018, 07:23 AM

The new Sigma 000M-ST1 I have on layaway was a spontaneous purchase...kinda.

I did go to the shop to specifically to try out a used Ibanez archtop electric guitar they had and were asking $350 for it. I didn't even bother to plug it in since it felt like "meh" to me.
So I wandered into the acoustic room and grabbed the Sigma down from it's hook. I was blown away as soon as started flat picking on it. Price? $350 new. An amazing deal considering it has a solid spruce top with bone nut and saddle.

I will be picking it up next week.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

My Larrivee was an unplanned purchase from GC. I had to buy it because I was afraid if I went home to think about it, when I came back it would be gone. With GC you are always better off buying it. You can always bring it back if you change your mind.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:05 AM

My spontaneous purchase was my lovely Yamaha SLG200s. I play fingerstyle pieces during worship and communion and wasn't even looking for another guitar . Visiting a great guitar shop on the mainland I noticed one chap unboxing two of these Silent Guitars , a nylon and a steel string . I had to try one of these so I plugged in and the deal was done . Easy to play great plugged in sound and really compact and I really liked the look . The price £450.00 and it gets used weekly and for early morning practice .
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 04-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I want a smaller, more intimate couch guitar.

What to do??
Take a look at the Emerald X7. It is an awesome parlor sized guitar!!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Play it again, Sam and see how it sounds the second time around. If it still hits you the same, then maybe you should go for it.

I am in the midst of looking for a 12 string. I want an Alvarez but have played a couple of S & P's lately and they sounded the same both times. They may end up changing my mind.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 PM

I went back to play it again. Still sounds really great to me, but this time I definitely noticed the 1 11/16" nut.

I'mma pass on it and move forward with the Taylor 522c I've really been gassing for.

There's still a Martin in my future at some point, but probably a D18 or D28... No rush, though!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion