The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i think the best tube amp, would be a FREE one!
and it comes with a free les paul, a free strat, free picks and strings.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
and it comes with a free les paul, a free strat, free picks and strings.

play music!
What! No hardshell cases??? What kind of a deal is that! :-)
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 03-01-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
What! No hardshell cases??? What kind of a deal is that! :-)
ok,ok, we'll throw in free cases but for only the next 24hrs.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 PM

i dunno man, it still depends, what color les paul?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
i dunno man, it still depends, what color les paul?
you win, it was within the 24hrs. your beautiful les paul is chartreuse with orange polka dots. what a beauty!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM

ill say, geez i just missed a classic like that on craiglist too
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

Last edited by harpspitfire; 05-11-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
ill say, geez i just missed a classic like that on craiglist too
Jad it been vaccinated that wouldn't have happened [emoji1]
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 03-06-2019, 06:22 PM

How loud do you need it? Are you competing with a loud drummer?

If you need loud+clean+tube you probably need at least 50W and that gets expensive and heavy. The previously mentioned Fender Twins, etc will get you there.

If you only want clean, something solid state might still be better (JC-120...other?)

If you don't need to go toe-to-toe with a drummer, then a 15-25W tube amp might fit the bill (lots to chose from).

For example, I currently use a Supro Supreme 1600 combo, nice and small, 25W. Even on my reasonable volume setting, if I dig in it starts to throw some dirt on the signal (which is how I like it). I then use a collection of pedals to take the dirt up from there.

I am also content to mic the amp whenever I play live so the lower power is still fine for me.

Later
Rob
Old 07-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Default Thanks Guy's....

I have to say there is a wealth of information there. What a treasure trove of info. I will go over an over it probably a good few times.

I am interested in the Bugera V55HD.. What nice little beauty that is and cheap as well. Is there only an Amplified output on it or is there a simply line out that I can run though another amp or pa or whatever if I want it louder I wonder ??

Also I think if I am ever to really fork out the Deluxe Reverb looks really like the dogs rollox... I would love to try as many as I can and I will. The guy in the music store told me he has no valve amps at all. He actually said they don't make them anymore... so, I guess he is in the wrong job.

Anyway I will have another look over their selection an in the meantime I might jus order one of those Bugera's I can here for 300 euro what the hell... is that a bargain or what.

Again big shout out to all you guy's from Ireland and thanks for that amazing response and wealth of info.

Jay

PS
So Glad I could finally get onto this forum had some trouble registering in the past :-)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
I am interested in the Bugera V55HD.. What nice little beauty that is and cheap as well. Is there only an Amplified output on it or is there a simply line out that I can run though another amp or pa or whatever if I want it louder I wonder ??
I've used a V22 combo - my go-to gig amp - in a variety of settings, including DI, since I acquired it in 2010; while I'll be happy to share my experiences, as with everything else your needs/results may differ:
  • First off, that head will provide you with more than enough power for any situation short of a football stadium, as well as allowing your chosen speaker cabinet to contribute to the sound and create the "bloom" and "air" we tube amp junkies live for; that said, you have the option of miking a lower-powered head/cab rig (check out the V22HD and G20 heads) to keep the on-stage volume reasonable, allowing the mic to pick up the amp as you hear it...
  • You could route the "send" output of the FX loop to a DI box; while this can work IME it's not the most ideal scenario, as you not only lose the vital contributions of the power stage/speakers to your overall sound but IME run the risk of creating electronic/sonic gremlins that can defy all attempts to troubleshoot them - and usually five minutes before the curtain goes up...
  • There are a number of direct boxes that can be patched into your amp's speaker output, and are capable of absorbing the full power of the output stage; while you retain the contribution of your amp's power stage to your overall sound and a high-cut (either built into the DI box itself or done at the board) can simulate the over-5kHz rolloff of a typical guitar cab, you're still losing the contributions of the cabinet - speaker frequency curve (you're at the mercy of PA speakers, designed for a "high-fidelity" tonality), response characteristics (British vs. American, fast vs. slow breakup, frequency emphasis/attenuation, etc.), and the aforementioned natural contribution of surrounding airspace to your overall tone...
My thoughts:
Assess your needs realistically: although the late Les Paul played small jazz clubs with a silverface Twin, you don't need huge amounts of power unless you're a jazz player who needs (and knows how to use) lots of headroom if you're going to be playing mostly at home or in local venues that seat no more than 100-200 people; I've used my V22 in a 700-seat house without being undergunned and, if this is your first experience, be advised that tube amps in general are far louder than you think vis-a-vis their advertised wattage. I've had the privilege of playing through a rare 200W Marshall Major as well as stepping behind the wheel of a dragster - comparable experiences of sheer raw power, but in the grand scheme of my world do I really need either one...?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Had this post in another thread, basically.

Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you want cheap, I HIGHLY recommend this Monoprice, Stage Right, 15 W tube amp:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

Comparison to Blues Jr:

Even has an effects loop and can be had, on sale, for under $200. I got mine for about $180 new.

Added bonus... if you pick up a Joyo American Pedal for $30 or so and put it in front of this amp, you get a VERY realistic sounding Fender amp that ranges from a Tweed to a Twin. It also takes any pedal very well.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Steve mentioned the Bugera G20 which I own and really like. I've had it for about a year and it's not left my home so can't speak to its durability - I'm mostly an acoustic player. It has a morph knob to provide a blend of British and American EQs on the gain channel. The clean channel (with reverb) gives a nice tone with the guitar volume backed off. I'm running it into a 1x12 open back cab with a Celestion V-Type. It seems like a pretty versatile sounding tube amp for not a lot of cash.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Just watched a couple demos on Youtube of the Bugera G20 with Josh Smith playing . No talking or explanation of what settings he is using and obviously on first demo he has a delay going and I would assume on board reverb
But he is getting some nice really tones

For me I had my sights on the REVV D20 but it is a little over 3 times the price at $1200 but I admit this does give me pause

Now on what I assume is the official Bugera video the host states it is a "hand built" amplifier whatever that means ? I assume all amps are hand built (but I am also assuming that at the $350 price, that does not mean hand point to point wired ) .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-19-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:52 PM

Default Mesa Express 5.2.5

Mesa Express 5.2.5.: A small compact amp that packs a lot of power and tone through a single 12" speaker.
Taylor 615CEL (2006)
Taylor 714CEL (2009)
Eastman MD515L
Gibson CS-336L
Fender Stratocaster (1974)
Fender Hotrod Precision Bass
Luna Ukulele
Old 07-24-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've used a V22 combo - my go-to gig amp - in a variety of settings, including DI, since I acquired it in 2010; while I'll be happy to share my experiences, as with everything else your needs/results may differ:
  • First off, that head will provide you with more than enough power for any situation short of a football stadium, as well as allowing your chosen speaker cabinet to contribute to the sound and create the "bloom" and "air" we tube amp junkies live for; that said, you have the option of miking a lower-powered head/cab rig (check out the V22HD and G20 heads) to keep the on-stage volume reasonable, allowing the mic to pick up the amp as you hear it...
  • You could route the "send" output of the FX loop to a DI box; while this can work IME it's not the most ideal scenario, as you not only lose the vital contributions of the power stage/speakers to your overall sound but IME run the risk of creating electronic/sonic gremlins that can defy all attempts to troubleshoot them - and usually five minutes before the curtain goes up...
  • There are a number of direct boxes that can be patched into your amp's speaker output, and are capable of absorbing the full power of the output stage; while you retain the contribution of your amp's power stage to your overall sound and a high-cut (either built into the DI box itself or done at the board) can simulate the over-5kHz rolloff of a typical guitar cab, you're still losing the contributions of the cabinet - speaker frequency curve (you're at the mercy of PA speakers, designed for a "high-fidelity" tonality), response characteristics (British vs. American, fast vs. slow breakup, frequency emphasis/attenuation, etc.), and the aforementioned natural contribution of surrounding airspace to your overall tone...
My thoughts:
Assess your needs realistically: although the late Les Paul played small jazz clubs with a silverface Twin, you don't need huge amounts of power unless you're a jazz player who needs (and knows how to use) lots of headroom if you're going to be playing mostly at home or in local venues that seat no more than 100-200 people; I've used my V22 in a 700-seat house without being undergunned and, if this is your first experience, be advised that tube amps in general are far louder than you think vis-a-vis their advertised wattage. I've had the privilege of playing through a rare 200W Marshall Major as well as stepping behind the wheel of a dragster - comparable experiences of sheer raw power, but in the grand scheme of my world do I really need either one...?
You should heed Steve's wisdom here. 55 watts is a LOT of power and more than most people would need in almost any application. These powerful amps come with a big cost - weight.

I have amps in the 25, 15 and 5 watt range. I will admit that I am no superstar and do not play for huge crowds in giant venues. I am confident than my ac Rock Head (25 watts at 8ohms) is strong enough to hang with all but the most beastly drummer and would easily be enough for a larger (3-4K sq ft venue). That said, I don't play clean much. Classic rock & Blues is pretty much where I live. I am playing a venue Sunday that is well over 3K sq ft and I'm bringing my Bugera V5 (& not miking it).

It is my belief and experience that 15-25 watts is enough in 90% of every club I have ever been in (although some played through Super Reverbs anyway).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars