The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Neck reset

How do you remove the neck without a steam needle? Anyone have any neat work arounds...

Thanks...

MM
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 AM

a clothes iron set on the frets, and leave it about 2 hours.

never TRIED this, and to be honest, I never want to try!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 AM

A pawn shop pressure cooker, a piece of hose, and a needle will cost ~$10. Why look for another method?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

There are posts about taking a Japan Saw (Harbor Freight $6-10) and cutting off the neck and the fretboard right through the 14th fret (Don't do this to a nice old Martin!). Fit it with 2 bolts and reattach.
Another is saw the heel to the fretboard and sand or shim till you hit neck angle then use Marine Epoxy. Nothing will ever move again (in that spot).
Best bet is a $25 Craigslist Espresso Machine, the wand can be made (I bought mine from Stew Mac). There are directions to make the wand for cheap on the Google
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM

@ Woody,

What kind of needle?
Where can I get one? Do you mean just a med needle?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thats why I bought mine from stew mac. Now that I have it I could find the 3 parts. Before it was speculation.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
@ Woody,

What kind of needle?
An inflation needle like you fill a football or basketball with.
http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Inflating.../dp/B000VQ990A

The needle is hooked to a pressure cooker with a piece of automotive hose. I prefer a pressure cooker over an expresso machine because you get more steam, and less water, but other use expresso machines with good success. I'll try to take a picture of my rig later.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Good stuff!!

woody, do you think an old metal kettle would work? Fitted so the hose is around the spout?

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P12288042.jpg

Put the rubber hose over the nozzle with a pipe clamp??

Thanks...

Wow, this might actually cost me less then $10
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
@ Woody,

What kind of needle?

I bought my stainless steel tubing from McMaster-Carr a number of years ago. A 36" section of 304 stainless steel tubing was only about $20 with postage, IIRC. It's basically hypodermic tubing. I chose that size since it fits nicely into a 1/16" hole.

I'm primarily a collector anymore. I was a guitar repair person and builder in my own music store for 12 years. I do repairs on my own guitars. I won't ship them anyway although there are many fine luthiers in the U.S.

To remove a neck (Martin) I use a vintage Presto aluminum pressure cooker, 4 quart size. I have a 1/8 pipe to 5/16" hose fitting in the center to replace the original fitting. I use 5/16" ID fuel line, 6 feet long so I can set the cooker on the floor on my hot plate to keep it clear of the instruments and table, On the other end I have a 6" section of the 17 gauge stainless steel tubing (.057) inserted into a 1" piece of 5/16" aluminum rod with a press fit.

I use 5/8" MDF heat shields covered with aluminum foil with proper cutouts to remove the bridge and the fingerboard overlay. That will work in about five minutes to soften hide glue so that the parts can be separated from the guitar body. .

I would only use steam to remove the dovetail neck. It's the only way to get deep enough into the cavity. With a 6" tube, you can get all the way to the bottom to release all of the glue. I drill two 1/16" holes under the 13th fret (12 fret) or the 15th fret (14 fret). The second hole permits steam to vent off.

For a great slide show of a neck reset, I suggest either Brian Kimsey's website or Frank Ford at Frets.com. Either one is very good.

Good luck and happy steaming!

Last edited by Zigeuner; 04-09-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 AM

I'd be worried that the kettle may build up too much pressure. My pressure cooker is way too big, so it takes a while to heat up. I paid $2 for it at a yard sale. I've put a fitting into the top for my hose, so it's still got the regulator to keep pressure from getting too high.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
I'd be worried that the kettle may build up too much pressure. My pressure cooker is way too big, so it takes a while to heat up. I paid $2 for it at a yard sale. I've put a fitting into the top for my hose, so it's still got the regulator to keep pressure from getting too high.
My pressure cooker rig can't over pressurize since the hose is passing steam all during the time that I'm using it. It is constantly venting off.....not to worry.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
There are posts about taking a Japan Saw (Harbor Freight $6-10) and cutting off the neck and the fretboard right through the 14th fret (Don't do this to a nice old Martin!). Fit it with 2 bolts and reattach.
Another is saw the heel to the fretboard and sand or shim till you hit neck angle then use Marine Epoxy. Nothing will ever move again (in that spot).
Best bet is a $25 Craigslist Espresso Machine, the wand can be made (I bought mine from Stew Mac). There are directions to make the wand for cheap on the Google
BAD IDEA...Don't ever saw it.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair