The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Default Sadle height,how low is too low?

I have some serious action issues.In metric the strings are 4mm off the 12th fret.I have around 3 1/2mm left of my saddle to bring down.The height measured is from the highest point between the D and G strings.
The saddle already has as much taken off as i would like,is it advisable to shave off some more?It's possible to take it down a little more,just hesitant to do so.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 PM

4mm @ 12th is indeed quite high. 3.5mm on the highest point on the saddle is not a good reference to give advice. its better if you tell us the lowest point instead, usually the high E is where its lowest. i think your saddle can go down to maybe about 1 or 2mm on the high E. some would say 15degrees break angle but I dont know how to compute that in terms of saddle height especially when some bridgepin holes are slotted to make the angle deeper (cant remember the term).

you should also check your relief, neck angle. and guitar top condition (if its bulging)...maybe thats where the problem is, then thats what you should be fixing.

and of course, high humidity.

hope that helps.

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM

I have about 3mm at the low E, 3 1/2mm is a little closer but not quite that much.
I should add this guitar is pretty new,i got it in February and it was strung with extra lights and I'm using lights(12-53).How long will it take for the top to settle?If need be i can always send it in to be repaired under warranty,should it need a neck reset in the future.
My Tunes
Facebook

Last edited by BuckMahoney; 04-05-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 AM

general rule of thumb (if i remember it right), if your action is 4mm @ 12th and you want it to go down to say 3mm (1mm lower), you need to shave off twice the difference, therefore shave 2mm from the saddle.

I think you will have a very low saddle by then.

you may want to bring it to a luthier to check the guitar if a setup will fix it or if it needs something more.

if it was strung with extra lights at the factory, changing it to lights will increase the tension, and pull up the action...you need to adjust the truss rod to correct the relief.

how long does it take for the top to settle? why? is it bulging? if it is, and it is caused by high humidity, it can take anywhere from a few days to months for it to settle, assuming you are going to keep it in the correct (ie. lower) humidity conditions.

neck reset is part of warranty? what guitar is this anyway? if its a taylor or other bolt-on type neck guitar, neck reset is easy, and you should definitely have it done by an authorized guy. if its dovetail type, its a major operation for a fairly new guitar, i'd look for other options first.

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM

It's a Godin brand guitar with a limited lifetime warranty,I'm pretty sure a neck reset is covered since it's a bolt on.It is very humid where i keep my guitars,frankly storing them elsewhere would mean certain death for them with a 2 kids running around and their visitors.I do keep the guitar in it's case but left it out on a stand for a couple nights
I'm waiting on a new guitar case that will be better suited to keep the right atmosphere inside.The one i use right now isn't as air tight as it could be.
So,in a basement in spring it will take a while for the top to come down to normal?Or will it come down a little and stay that way?I will be searching for a decent hygrometer,no small feat in a small town with a population of less that 2,000 and no smoke shops.
My Tunes
Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair