The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: ToneDexter Live Performance Poll
I play a SBT equipped guitar & ToneDexter with a band that includes a drummer. 3 33.33%
I play a UST equipped guitar & ToneDexter with a band that includes a drummer. 2 22.22%
I play a SBT equipped guitar & ToneDexter with a band that includes a drummer. 3 33.33%
I play a UST equipped guitar & ToneDexter with a band that doesn't include a drummer. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2019, 06:17 AM

Default I use a ToneDexter live with _____

Drummer with a full kit that is.

This is what I get for doing this....#3 should read:

I play a SBT equipped guitar & ToneDexter with a band that DOESN'T includes a drummer,

Sorry, can't edit the poll.

Last edited by mondoslug; 09-13-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 AM

Please check questions 1 and 3. They are the same. One should 'exclude' or 'doesn't'.
Actually i've also used a guitar with both an UST and a SBT at the same time in parallel with the ToneDexter.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Most often without a drummer. But on occasion I play with a drummer.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Please check questions 1 and 3. They are the same. One should 'exclude' or 'doesn't'.
Actually i've also used a guitar with both an UST and a SBT at the same time in parallel with the ToneDexter.
Thanks, I mentioned that in the first post but I can't edit the poll answers...apologies.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 PM

Sold my tonedexter.. it didn't work
For my application . But I used it live
With a percussionist. (Cajon and various doo dads)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Sold my tonedexter.. it didn't work
For my application . But I used it live
With a percussionist. (Cajon and various doo dads)
"Your application" being "live with a percussionist?"

As far as I'm concerned, btw, a live cajon miked up properly counts as a drummer for purposes of this discussion.

Couch Standards
Old 09-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
"Your application" being "live with a percussionist?"

As far as I'm concerned, btw, a live cajon miked up properly counts as a drummer for purposes of this discussion.
Nuh uh...full kit.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Nuh uh...full kit.
Maybe I should have said, "as far as this FOH mixer who has to deal with both drums and Tonedexters is concerned..."

Couch Standards
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Apparently not too many people using these things.

I kid!

It's another unpopular poll.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Apparently not too many people using these things.

I kid!

It's another unpopular poll.
Well... how many people who have them use them live? As opposed to buying them as a way to record at home without a mic. No idea, personally, just asking.

Couch Standards
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I suspect people aren't participating due to the options being messed up/incomplete, or the choices don't apply to them. (For playing with a drummer, I'd prefer an electric guitar, myself)

I've seen a number of people using ToneDexter, as well as an Aura, live. I'd think using them for home recording would be pretty rare. TD (or Aura, or...) improves the sound of a pickup, getting rid of the quack, but it doesn't beat a real mic (or 2) for recording. I could see it as a last result for someone in a noisy home environment and for casual recording. But these devices are best used for live performance.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 PM

I absolutely understand, there's plenty of people using these live...I'm just being my usual un-witty self with a bad poll. As far as playing electric with a drummer, sure, unless you're in an acoustic band with a drummer...then you play an acoustic.

I dunno, other than the fact that choice #3 was botched while I was trying to get under 100 words so it would post, it's pretty straight forward...at least to me.

A. You have a ToneDexter & don't play in a band. No problem.
B. You have a ToneDexter, play in a band and you're most likely either using a UST or SBT with a drummer or without one.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:30 PM

I've been experimenting with a pair of IRs that Cuki79 made for me (parlor and dreadnought). I had two problems live with ToneDexter, when boosted for a single note solo there was a resonance (probably in the 100-200 Hz range) that sounded wrong, the second problem was a high pitch tone whenever a wavemap was engaged (not in the basic preamp function of the pedal). I should have recorded new wavemaps but I was at the end of the return window...

Today, both these problems are clear to me when I look at the spectrum of the IRs Cuki79 made for me. Having clear knowledge of exactly where those peaks are located has allowed me to set a low frequency cut on the IR output, or alternately notch filters on the peaks (sounds much better than the low frequency cut), which really works very well for me live (these two IRs do not have a high frequency problem which I think is just luck of the draw). I left his IR on for my entire gig last Friday.

I was blown away at how good ToneDexter sounded at living room volumes and how good it sounded at a gig fingerpicked. When I was looking for more volume or more aggressive play, then I got into trouble (ignoring the high pitch whine).

I think if ToneDexter sounds good at home, but not at a gig, you need to try again. The goodness is there and you have not yet hit upon it. For me with a grad degree in EE, I like the more hands-on approach with the IR.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Is the poll trying to see how people fare with getting enough volume without feedback?
I agree with Doug that mics are superior, but I did get my Tonedexter primarily for recording as I can't depend on a quiet and acoustically prepared place as well as the fact I do not like the restrictions a mic puts on my holding and positioning of the guitar - and then trying to match that if I need to insert an edit. I haven't got my ideal recording sound with the Tonedexter yet but it's getting better. I'll probably end up adding a secondary source - either an additional transducer to add more air and "magic" or a small lightweight dynamic cardioid that I can attached to the body with a gooseneck and blend with the Tonedexter.
Yes I did say lightweight dynamic cardioid... I own a couple including a dynamic lav.

Last edited by Cellomangler; 09-16-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 AM

None of those. UST solo. Once in a while as a duet with another player.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification