The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like they left the nut alone?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 06-07-2023, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Great post, very happy for you! That full-on rumble may return as the guitar gets played and opens up over time. Enjoy!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-07-2023, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

When I bought my Avalon, Furch and Pellerin I had asked the seller to please have them setup for finger style. I never had to give measurements.

Maybe I just got lucky, but all three play very well.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-08-2023, 04:42 PM
Guest 61722

Picked up the 000-18, and it's like someone greased the strings! It's playing low and fast, that's for sure. I'm very happy with it! Both guitars are now set to 4/64 on the high E and 5/64 on the low E. They feel and sound even greater than before.

While I was there, I decided it was time to try out a Gibson. Mighty Fine has this one:
https://mightyfineguitars.com/invent...c-series-wb9et

and

Lamorinda has this one:
https://www.lamorindamusic.com/produ...working-man-45

My first impression was "Well, that's very different from a Martin."

Tone, neck, body feel, all of it. I liked the slope shoulders and short scale. Very comfortable. I liked the tone as well. I was not crazy about the necks. They felt kind of fat to me. I'm very used to playing the skinny neck on the 000-18, which I had doubts about at first, but quickly took to. The HD28 neck is either exactly the same or almost exactly the same. Since both Gibsons are used, I have no idea if they've been adjusted. The action felt like it might have done with a tiny tweak, now that I know about all that good stuff. But it wasn't bad. It felt lower than Martin standard from the factory, but not as good as the two that I've just had done.

I did not immediately think OMG, I'm going to Montana to adopt one RIGHT NOW. But it's definitely an area that merits further exploration and research. But later.... way later.

And now, there's nothing else for me to do except keep focused on playing and learning!!! I need to take a break from all these delicious and tempting distractions.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

On the J-45 or any Gibson acoustic, I recommend going to a shop with a large selection and playing as many as you can. A while back I played all the J-45s, Southern Jumbos, and LG-2s at Fullers in Houston. Out of about 10-12 instruments that were out on the racks, one of the J-45 1950s was outstanding. It sounded great and played great. Luckily I was shopping for my wife’s guitar so I was able to escape without the J-45.

If you get a chance, or have never listened to this guy, check out Ian Meadows youtube page. He does a lot of good guitar comparison vids. Good cheap way to check out a J-45 sound vs the 000-18 that you already know.

https://youtu.be/JOvqpOw18Fw

+
Old 06-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
On the J-45 or any Gibson acoustic, I recommend going to a shop with a large selection and playing as many as you can. A while back I played all the J-45s, Southern Jumbos, and LG-2s at Fullers in Houston. Out of about 10-12 instruments that were out on the racks, one of the J-45 1950s was outstanding. It sounded great and played great. Luckily I was shopping for my wife’s guitar so I was able to escape without the J-45.

If you get a chance, or have never listened to this guy, check out Ian Meadows youtube page. He does a lot of good guitar comparison vids. Good cheap way to check out a J-45 sound vs the 000-18 that you already know.

+
Thanks for the link! I wholly endorse your "Play them all Big and Small" approach to guitar shopping. If you don't play 'em, you'll never know. And I. Have. To. Know.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:29 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
It sounds like they left the nut alone?
They did nothing to the nut on either guitar.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post

+
I have spent so much time on that youtube channel - he does the best comparisons!
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 06-08-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
When I bought my Avalon, Furch and Pellerin I had asked the seller to please have them setup for finger style. I never had to give measurements.

Maybe I just got lucky, but all three play very well.
Now that you have a guitar that plays well, you can measure it. This way, next time, you can provide exact numbers.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
They did nothing to the nut on either guitar.
Janine
I'd be willing to bet the nuts could come down a touch.

I have never bought a Martin or Gibson, that the nuts didn't need filing.

It may be your tech is not comfortable doing that. It's a touchy subject.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Janine
I'd be willing to bet the nuts could come down a touch.

I have never bought a Martin or Gibson, that the nuts didn't need filing.

It may be your tech is not comfortable doing that. It's a touchy subject.
Let's not go there, EZ. I'm happy with the way the guitars turned out. The tech did an excellent job of explaining and quantifying the improvement for me, and he was spot on. I don't think we should get into how he feels about touching nuts, the ones on my guitars, or any others, for that matter.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The action felt like it might have done with a tiny tweak, now that I know about all that good stuff.
Now that you know action is easily adjustable, you don't have to let that be the thing that prevents you from buying. Just ignore action in your shopping; I don't even care about action anymore. (And if the action can't be adjusted because the frets aren't level, then that's a manufacture defect and good to find out!)
Old 06-08-2023, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
I have spent so much time on that youtube channel - he does the best comparisons!
I think I have watched them all multiple times. I like the no talking and consistent playing. Let the guitars talk. I wish more Youtubers would do this.

+
Old 06-08-2023, 06:08 PM

Every new addition needs a setup. My last couple of guitars played great when I purchased them, and even better after the setup.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-08-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not willing to risk what is already a great guitar to me, trying to make it a greater guitar.

Quote:
I picked it up at lunch today, and I'll be danged. It's quite a bit easier to play.
Glad you saw the light.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion