The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-06-2023, 12:34 AM

Default What TV Are You Watching

I am looking to purchase a TV with a screen in the range of 50 to 60 inches.
I have searched the net and and cannot find a solid review.
My Son recommends the Vizio brand.
May I please have recommendations from y'all ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:47 AM

I suppose the brand you buy would depend on your budget. Brands like Sony, Samsung and LG are more expensive than TCL, Hisense etc.

Shop around online and read tech reviews. Reviews on Amazon are usually from customers and don't necessarily reflect expert in depth options.

I would also purchase a Soundbar to use with the TV unless you already plan to use a sound system you have. Installing your new TV can either be wall mount are using the built in feet and placing it on a piece of furniture.

We have a 55" TCL coupled with a Yamaha Sound bar sitting on a stand at eye level while sitting on a couch. Placing the TV too high will drive you crazy cranking your neck all the time. Fun times picking out AV gear. Don't rush. Let us know what you decide.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A home we have a 65" Samsung mounted at eye height when sitting on the couch. I've had really excellent result with Samsung and everyone who sees this one seems to like it. At work there is a 65" Panasonic mounted over the studio window and connected to the digital audio workstation that is also quite good. There is also a 40" Sony Vizio to my left that takes the company's in-house cable. It is also good, but seems a little blue to me.

Of the three, the Samsung is my favorite. Being a media company, we have a group of broadcast engineers in-house. Years ago when I was putting in my home theater, the way I got into Samsung was by going to them and asking what currently had the best picture. After fifteen years of excellent service it was time for a replacement so I went back to the engineers and they recommended Samsung again. So, that's where I stand. Now, the company has difference brands, based upon the best prices at any given time for quantity buys.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-06-2023, 05:24 AM

Walmart TCL with a Bose soundbar.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-06-2023, 06:14 AM

Main TV is Samsung. Great prices at Sam's Club & Costco. Two other TVs are Vizio, and have had some compatibility issues with my streaming service using Smart TV features on them. May have been erected by now.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:20 AM

Sony X95J 75", have had it about 18 months and it's been a great TV.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 06-06-2023, 07:53 AM

One thing to bear in mind is that most modern TVs are 'smart', and as such they have some sort of preferred operating system. I bought a Sony only to discover that it really wants to interface with an Android operating system. Setting it up was complicated, because my phones and computer are all Apple. If I had bought a Samsung, I wouldn't have had a problem, because Samsung interfaces with Apple very nicely.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Shortly before my divorce we had purchased a $3500 LG OLED TV. After I moved out, I spent $350 on a Toshiba from Best Buy. Honestly, the picture is 99% as good as the LG. I hope my ex is enjoying the LG.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 06-06-2023, 09:05 AM

We don't have those sizes but have good experiences with both of Sony and Samsung at home. Displaying old content is not so major as it once was.

Smart TV aspects are a stickler for me. All sorts of stuff people will buy in their homes does not always get patched as it should be. That's a reason for first tier brands, and also having something such as an AppleTV, Google or Roku you keep patched.

For work I bought some LG display and smart TV at first because of availability and price but found the support to be better than expected. IIRC, people in AL USA were where the call center was. For the TVs, we had a vendor solution that required them with Amazon dongles. Their staff was pretty good for very common sorts of Amazon/Google side load stuff that can be a mess. They were business purchases but I got the impression the call center supported all the US sales. With that good experience we bought more and it all seems fine.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:21 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I've gone with Vizio now for the last few TVs and they've been great. I just added a 75" Visio V-Series Smart TV and it's pretty spectacular. It cost just over $600.

It's amazing how inexpensive they've become. I remember the early days of 'big screen' TVs... when they were mammoth consoles with muddy colors and they cost thousands of dollars. Then the first few generations of 'flat screen' TVs came out and a 50" TV would runs thousands.

Now? A 75" Smart TV with outstanding color and clarity (and audio sound!) that weighs maybe 60lbs... is $600.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Have an older 55 Vizio dumb TV that still works great. Main one is a 65 class Samsung smarty and it has been wonderful as well. My mom liked our Sammy so much she got the 55" version and had a problem after about 6 months. Samsung sent a tech out with parts and had it back to normal no charge. I can't watch flat TV without headphones if I want to hear the dialogue.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:34 AM

What's your budget? How picky are you about picture quality?

I seem to run TVs for 15 years, so I went with a 4k OLED LG TV after reading lots of reviews. Mid-priced between Vizio and Sony Bravia. The remote and OS are not the most intuitive, but the picture is great (at least to my old eyes).
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 06-06-2023, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Our main family room TV is a Sony Bravia XBR-65A1E, which we bought in 2018. It’s wall-mounted, at eye level when sitting and watching.

We love the picture. Its own sound is pretty fair, but I have it hooked up to a Sony AV receiver, 5 Orb speakers and a Yamaha sub, which we use for most of our viewing.

One of the reasons we bought it was for the ‘smart’ functionality, but frankly, it’s a pain in the rear. The Android o/s seems flaky and slow, and has an annoying propensity to reboot for random reasons. I fixed that by disconnecting it from wi-fi (so that it’s not constantly searching for updates), and we use a Roku for all streaming content. We have other TVs, all of which have Rokus attached, so that provides a consistent user experience throughout the house.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-06-2023, 11:54 AM

Samsung here but not as big as you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
One thing to bear in mind is that most modern TVs are 'smart'...
I don't want a TV that's smarter than me...
Old 06-06-2023, 12:02 PM

65" LG OLED with onboard Disney, Netflix and Apple TV+ and Direct TV or ATT now. No issues since new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic