The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

You never said, or I missed it, if the guitar actually plays well and if it sounds good.

I don’t know what shop you bought it from, but the places I buy from do setups before they send them out. So a truss rod adjustment prior to you getting it is not anything to be concerned about. In fact, I hope they set the relief so I don’t have to.

+
Old 06-05-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
You never said, or I missed it, if the guitar actually plays well and if it sounds good.

I don’t know what shop you bought it from, but the places I buy from do setups before they send them out. So a truss rod adjustment prior to you getting it is not anything to be concerned about. In fact, I hope they set the relief so I don’t have to.

+
It does not play poorly - there are a few spots that hum/buzz a bit where I would not expect it to, but I don't have another to compare to at this size/model. Its one of those things, once its in your head you wonder, a year down the road would you get upset that you kept something when you had the option to just try again.

I didn't ask for a setup, the action is decent at .080. relief seems fine. My OM28 was the other picture, has been set up by a shop and still looks good in there, that was the main oddity there.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Some shops like Fullers in Houston or Dave’s, or Wildwood do setups before anything goes out the door. Its just their policy. I’ll take a free setup.

+
Old 06-05-2023, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Wether right or wrong I’d be a little paranoid about keeping that one.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Guest 61722

I'm sad to read about your disappointing experience. I will keep my fingers crossed that they ship you a pristine replacement that fills your heart with joy and makes your fingers want to dance. (hug)

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I noticed on my new HD-28, the braces are much closer to the sound hole than on the other guitar. Is this "forward shifted?" It also has a white piece of gauze glued over where the two pieced of wood join, at the bottom of the "V." But nothing rattles and no little bits falling out of it. I gave a good shake at the shop before I bought it.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:33 PM

Anxious to see your critique of the replacement. With pics.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-06-2023, 08:27 AM

The little bits I saw in your hand wouldn’t worry me. And the truss rod - is your concern that it is crooked? Truss rods are off center depending on where it is turned or applying pressure or whatever.

Maybe the bits of sawdust make noise because your guitar is resonant. The tiniest spec of sawdust sounds like maracas in my J45 Studio, for instance. I still have a percussion section in there two years after I bought it. Most of my less favorite guitars don’t have that added feature.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 06-06-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsNRoses View Post
The little bits I saw in your hand wouldn’t worry me. And the truss rod - is your concern that it is crooked? Truss rods are off center depending on where it is turned or applying pressure or whatever.

Maybe the bits of sawdust make noise because your guitar is resonant. The tiniest spec of sawdust sounds like maracas in my J45 Studio, for instance. I still have a percussion section in there two years after I bought it. Most of my less favorite guitars don’t have that added feature.
My concern was more it kind of looked bashed up or that a wrong tool was used, the edges were definitely less pronounced than an older guitar that has been under maintenance more than once, if that makes sense.

And the rattle was not only when playing, but when picking up the guitar and moving it into a playing position.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Have you called the shop? Not sure why you are asking people here bc they cannot help you. Any good dealer is going to address your concerns, and so will Martin.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
Have you called the shop? Not sure why you are asking people here bc they cannot help you. Any good dealer is going to address your concerns, and so will Martin.
I think that its not true that people cannot help. If this is something someone else has seen and could validate its normal, then why not ask the masses?

Of course I was in touch with the seller and that process has not been smooth, instead of taking it back like initially agreed on so they could check it out, they made a claim with UPS and now I don't know what the plan is (other than sit tight). Thing is, it might be fine, I don't find it weird to be a bit paranoid over something that costs this price.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:27 PM

I have seen a gauze like that in many guitars, but it is usually white. I think it is part of the construction?
Old 06-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
I've seen nicer work on braces on China guitars, it looks a bit unfinished.
I bought a 2022 00028 MD last year and after feeling the braces I did some light sanding on some that I could reach. I was a bit disappointed in that but everything else was fine. I still have it do not regret buying it.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:36 PM

So UPS is now to blame? This is what the seller is saying about a tiny bit of debris inside the guitar, and perhaps a hinky trussrod nut?

How'd UPS do that? Magic?

If you really are going to go through with this and return the guitar for full credit, you're never going to get that seller to pay the return freight. So box it up, shop for a UPS deal (I recommend PirateShip.com), insure it, and drop it off. Eat the return shipping cost and be done with it. It's gonna cost you $75 to be done with this thing that's annoying you.

Then buy one from someone else who has a no-questions return policy. Done. They're not that rare.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-06-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I have seen a gauze like that in many guitars, but it is usually white. I think it is part of the construction?
Usually the dark gauze patch is found on Martin's GE and Authentic bracing.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
I noticed on my new HD-28, the braces are much closer to the sound hole than on the other guitar. Is this "forward shifted?"
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
It also has a white piece of gauze glued over where the two pieced of wood join, at the bottom of the "V."
It’s standard CFM practice to support the joint using a cloth cap - perfectly normal, nothing to be concerned about.

Enjoy your HD-28 - you have a fantastic guitar.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion