The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 09:30 AM

Default String brands and materials

Probably been asked a BUNCH of times, and probably, again, a matter of opinion and taste, but here we go.

I've tried, numerous times, to hear the difference between different types of strings.

I really can't tell a difference.

So, what actually is the difference in sound for the different materials of these different types/brands of strings?

For instance, I haven't played it yet, but I re-strung my 12-string with Martin's "Monel" strings. I need to tune it and give it a play, but I don't really know if I'd be able to tell the difference between them and other strings.

So what's the difference in sound between Phosphor Bronze, 80/20, Aluminum Bronze, Coated Phosphor Bronze, Coated 80/20, and the Ernie Ball "Earthwood", and these "Monel" strings? Usually I just buy Phosphor Bronze strings, but I've started experimenting, but I can't really hear much of a difference, if a difference at all.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:47 AM

Well, you probably can hear the difference between brand new and worn old strings, right? The various materials you mentioned basically add another dimension to that sound. You’re best served by simply trying out different types on your own guitar. But if you don’t hear a difference, go with the cheap sets!
Old 06-05-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Well, you probably can hear the difference between brand new and worn old strings, right? The various materials you mentioned basically add another dimension to that sound. You’re best served by simply trying out different types on your own guitar. But if you don’t hear a difference, go with the cheap sets!
Yeah, I can hear the difference between new and old.

But if you played a new set of phosphor bronze, then a new set of 80/20's, I don't think I could tell the difference.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRich View Post
Yeah, I can hear the difference between new and old.

But if you played a new set of phosphor bronze, then a new set of 80/20's, I don't think I could tell the difference.

I hear ya. If I’m walking past a busker strumming chords on a steel string acoustic guitar, I’m not wondering if those are 80/20 or PB strings. I do hear some differences among string types when playing my own guitar, though, and those are more or less pronounced depending on the type of string. But verbal descriptions of tone don’t come close to hearing it with my own ears. Also, sets can differ in terms of tension, longevity, volume, etc…depends on the particular guitar…
Old 06-05-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I hear ya. If I’m walking past a busker strumming chords on a steel string acoustic guitar, I’m not wondering if those are 80/20 or PB strings. I do hear some differences among string types when playing my own guitar, though, and those are more or less pronounced depending on the type of string. But verbal descriptions of tone don’t come close to hearing it with my own ears. Also, sets can differ in terms of tension, longevity, volume, etc…depends on the particular guitar…
I'm asking mostly because of a project I'm working on right now. I am looking for more of a "vintage" sound (i.e. pre 80/20 and pre phosphor bronze). Someone suggest Martin's "Monel" strings, so I bought a couple of sets (one for my 12-string, one for my 6-string) and figured I'd give them a try.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm asking mostly because of a project I'm working on right now. I am looking for more of a "vintage" sound (i.e. pre 80/20 and pre phosphor bronze). Someone suggest Martin's "Monel" strings, so I bought a couple of sets (one for my 12-string, one for my 6-string) and figured I'd give them a try.

Interesting! Monels would be my knee-jerk response to that. Would be great to hear your assessment of them. They do change pretty quickly from their initial shimmer, so give it some time. I find that they sound and feel different from PB on my guitar (to me while playing alone), but I really don’t know how much different the guitar would sound in recordings.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting! Monels would be my knee-jerk response to that. Would be great to hear your assessment of them. They do change pretty quickly from their initial shimmer, so give it some time. I find that they sound and feel different from PB on my guitar (to me while playing alone), but I really don’t know how much different the guitar would sound in recordings.
Well, there's one song in particular that I know for sure I'm going to use my 12-string on. So I'll be very, very curious how that recording comes out with the Monel strings. I put them on Sunday, so I'm going to need to re-tune before I play, but I am going to be curious.

I'm also going to put Monels on my 6-string, too.

The other thing I'm curious about is how the wood affects tone with regard to those strings.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll be very, very curious how that recording comes out with the Monel strings. I put them on Sunday, so I'm going to need to re-tune before I play, but I am going to be curious.
Just a caution from a HUGE monel fan: IMO, monels take a LONG time to break in. Whenever I put a new set, to my ear, they sound harsh and metallic for about a week.

The beauty is, though, once they break in, they last a LONG time.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
Just a caution from a HUGE monel fan: IMO, monels take a LONG time to break in. Whenever I put a new set, to my ear, they sound harsh and metallic for about a week.

The beauty is, though, once they break in, they last a LONG time.
Thank you. That's good to know.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:59 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

This might help…

Old 06-05-2023, 03:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Probably been asked a BUNCH of times, and probably, again, a matter of opinion and taste, but here we go.

I've tried, numerous times, to hear the difference between different types of strings.

I really can't tell a difference.

So, what actually is the difference in sound for the different materials of these different types/brands of strings?

For instance, I haven't played it yet, but I re-strung my 12-string with Martin's "Monel" strings. I need to tune it and give it a play, but I don't really know if I'd be able to tell the difference between them and other strings.

So what's the difference in sound between Phosphor Bronze, 80/20, Aluminum Bronze, Coated Phosphor Bronze, Coated 80/20, and the Ernie Ball "Earthwood", and these "Monel" strings? Usually I just buy Phosphor Bronze strings, but I've started experimenting, but I can't really hear much of a difference, if a difference at all.
I'm sure I could not pick out the 80/20 from the PB from the Nickels from the nickel monels in a blind test (well maybe the monels) if my life depended on it. What I could tell you is which I liked better. And that's how I do it. I buy strings, put them on and if I don't like them after a few days then I'll mark that info down so I don't buy them again. Same with the strings I like. I like to experiment from time to time, so that's why I have to keep a record of string use.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-05-2023, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi, when it comes to flat tops - I'm strictly an uncoarted phos-bronze user ..... except when I'm not - earlier this year I had a brain storm an put a bronze set, and then a nickel bronze set on my sitka/hog dread.
They were fine.

I have two 12 strings - a Martin D12-20 (rebuild) and a Harmony H1270.
For reasons I can't explain I put E37 P/Bs on the Martin and M190 (bronze) on the Harmony.

They both sound and play great.

For my flat tops (dreads to size "0" ) I vacillate between Martin and D'addario PB strings and sometimes try other makes. Apart from perceptions of slight tension differences, I can't categorically say I can tell the differences when playing.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was a good suggestion. Up until WWII pretty much all strings were nickel or some mix with a lot of it. Once that war began all the nickel in the US had to go for the war effort. And thus were born other string alloy mixes.

As they say necessity is the mother of invention.

To me the monels do not yield many overtones. But I’m only on my second set. First was on a rosewood/ spruce guitar; now I’m playing one that is maple / spruce. Also - I’ve lost a lot of high end hearing so I’m sure I’m missing part of any string has to offer.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 06-07-2023, 08:19 PM

Which guitars guitars are you playing? If they are very cheap that could be the problem.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:37 PM

It’s sorta like the difference between listening to your favorite song on many different radios or sound systems. Maybe an ipad, then your car, then buddies stereo, other buddies car, another different stereo, headphones etc. etc.

So, the song will be the same but it will have different characteristics through each system. Maybe more clear on this one, more bass on that one, thin and raspy on the ipad.

It’s like that but not as noticeable unless a certain aspect either bothers you or jumps out as being amazing. Big system might sound amazing compared to the ipad…but normally you are comparing different stock car stereos, less noticeable until you start listening for it.

I would say monels are a good choice since they will apparently last a long long time, but they have a pretty good feel too. Got some on my dred right now for a test run.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion