The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Default ''Daisy Jones and the Six'' on Prime

I've been waiting for this for a long time. Daisy Jones and the Six is my favorite Rock and Roll biography and it's about of band that never existed.

Did anyone else read the book? It's all done in interviews with the band members after the band broke up. There is no narration, maybe a little bit but I don't remember any. I hope they keep it that way. It got a bad review from The Guardian but who cares.

It starts tonight on Prime. If you didn't read the book, I think you should before watching this. The book is good that it will carry you through even if the TV version stinks!
Old 03-03-2023, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Just saw the first episode;

GREAT!
Old 03-03-2023, 06:06 PM

Just started watching. So far, so good!
Old 03-04-2023, 09:54 AM

Binged the first three episodes last night. It was really enjoyable.

Interesting article about the two leads and how they had to learn how to sing and play.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/dai...ic-1235537577/
Old 03-06-2023, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

My friend told me the the Daisy actress is Elvis's granddaughter. Now every time I look at her I see Elvis.

She's just wrong for the part anyway. Daisy was 6 ft tall, thin like a model, sexy as could be, and didn't wear any clothes. I'm not seeing with this Daisy. She looks like a guy and that guy is Elvis!

Add to that that she never sang or played before, and I'm still liking the show but I'm a little disappointed.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
My friend told me the the Daisy actress is Elvis's granddaughter. Now every time I look at her I see Elvis.
From IMDB.com:

Actress and model Danielle Riley Keough was born in Santa Monica, California, to musicians Lisa Marie Presley and Danny Keough. She is the eldest grandchild of legendary singer Elvis Presley and actress Priscilla Presley. Keough started modeling as a teenager. Her first appearance was on a runway for Dolce & Gabbana. She has also appeared on the cover of Vogue with her mother and grandmother.

Keough's acting debut came in 2010 when she won the role of Marie Currie in The Runaways (2010). Other roles followed in The Good Doctor (2011), Jack & Diane (2012) and Steven Soderbergh's Magic Mike (2012).
Old 03-09-2023, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Yep binged watched the entire season in a couple nights --pretty interesting approach done interview style BUT... Now since I ate all the chocolate, I am gonna have to wait

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-09-2023, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Just saw the first 3 episodes, enjoying it. It has the standard bad wigs and actors playing roles way too young, but really good story and good writing. Daisy is a great character as is the producer.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:53 PM

Saw the first couple episodes. Liking it so far, though I think the guy playing Billy looks much too old for the role. I’m okay with Riley Keough in the Daisy role. I think she’ll be okay. I didn’t read the book but my daughter did. She said none of the casting in the series matched up with how she pictured the characters from the book.

Love the music in it.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I also didn't read the book but am enjoying the series. Seems like that's the better way to go...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-11-2023, 09:56 AM

Never heard of it till this thread but I'm in for the long haul (whatever that is) 2 shows in. Kind of gave me a few flashbacks as my brother and I were in a band in the mid-60s!
Old 03-11-2023, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I watched the first three episodes, and mostly, I thought it was interesting. However, the excesses of that period -- drugs, booze, and casual sex -- are things I never indulged in, so some of this stuff I found a little irritating. I have never had much patience for self-destruction, though I understand that part of rock-n-roll happened over and over.

What really seemed jarring to me was the scene in the recording studio where the lead lady has changed the lyrics to the lead guy's song. Also, here's the lead lady who has sung solo up to this point, suddenly singing harmony on a duet with no rehearsal, no practice. Learning to sing harmony well is a skill. I have never seen anyone just do it on a first try and I've been around a lot of good singers. I also found it really bizarre that a band trying to come back from a financial disaster hasn't even rehearsed before going into the studio. And then they waste time and money arguing in the studio.

I suppose the writers have to build tension into the story, but that situation was, at least in my experience, completely unrealistic.

Still, I will keep watching, for a while, anyway.

- Glenn
Old 03-11-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
... I also found it really bizarre that a band trying to come back from a financial disaster hasn't even rehearsed before going into the studio. And then they waste time and money arguing in the studio.

I suppose the writers have to build tension into the story, but that situation was, at least in my experience, completely unrealistic.

Still, I will keep watching, for a while, anyway.

- Glenn
Studio rehearsal? If you haven't seen this, enjoy ...

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 03-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

My wife read the book and didn't like it so I'm going to go down to the bar in the basement and watch it down there. If she doesn't like it I'm sure that I will.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-11-2023, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

After reading the strong reviews on AGF, I gave it a try. I watched 2 episodes and thought it was just ok. I don’t think it will get my attention for much longer unless the acting and story line develop. I might give episode 3 a shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic