The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-18-2022, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I resemble this remark!

And I've immortalized that deer:

Ohhh . . . an inlay idea!
Old 12-18-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Ohhh . . . an inlay idea!
Great idea!
Old 12-18-2022, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I have a commission with John Slobod (Circa Guitars) that is supposed to be delivered sometime in 2023. We have not decided on much yet. The guitar will either be a 0012F or a 00012F (TBD).We have however chosen some woods for the project.

We chose a German Spruce soundboard that John sourced from Andreas Gleissner in Bubenreuth in the South of Germany.

For the back and sides a beautiful set of Malaysian Blackwood that he sourced years ago from Todd Taggert at the old Allied Lutherie.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile 2023….

I am sad that I do NOT have a build scheduled…. Wahhhh

Although if I sell a few, I may well go for JK #6

Justin, you are a model of restraint! Hahahah

JT1, I missed out on the deer escapade but will try to find out. Hope you are mending well!

And a very wonderful Christmas/Hanukkah/solstice/Kwanzaa/Festivus to all, And to all a new guitar

Hahaha

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-19-2022, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

I have a Halland 000-H in Swiss and Braz that will start in 2023. Dunno if I’ll get it in 2023, though.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:55 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Well, here's to hoping my Circa OM-45 will make it in 2023.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

JT1, I missed out on the deer escapade but will try to find out. Hope you are mending well!
While I was cycling, I collided with a deer, suffered the fracturing of 18 bones and the puncturing of both lungs, and nearly died (fortunately, a motorist who witnessed the fun and immediately phoned an ambulance);

Basic story:

Now, back to those cool, new commissions!
Old 12-19-2022, 08:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
While I was cycling, I collided with a deer, suffered the fracturing of 18 bones and the puncturing of both lungs, and nearly died (fortunately, a motorist who witnessed the fun and immediately phoned an ambulance);

Basic story:

Now, back to those cool, new commissions!
John—ouch! So sorry for this horrific crash! Might I suggest you continue the tattoo to include a hunter and a sausage grinder for that ill-timed deer?

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-19-2022, 08:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I have a commission with John Slobod (Circa Guitars) that is supposed to be delivered sometime in 2023. We have not decided on much yet. The guitar will either be a 0012F or a 00012F (TBD).We have however chosen some woods for the project.

We chose a German Spruce soundboard that John sourced from Andreas Gleissner in Bubenreuth in the South of Germany.

For the back and sides a beautiful set of Malaysian Blackwood that he sourced years ago from Todd Taggert at the old Allied Lutherie.

Whoa, that’s some pretty stuff Bob, congrats!

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I am hoping for a 2023 delivery of a 00 sized Rockbridge with Englemann over Ziricote, without sapwood. I am a big fan of their balanced tonal qualities, impeccable craftsmanship and 25” scale.
~ Burr
'09 00-18 Tim O'Brien | '11 000-18 Norman Blake | '53 D-18 | '68 D-21 | CS21-11 | '83 D-28V |'05 D-18 Authentic | '14 D-28 Authentic | CS D45 | Rockbridge 000 | Rockbridge Smeck | '05 Rockbridge D-21 BRW | Collings MT-2 | National Reso Rocket
Old 12-19-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Juston's post had me rolling, and those who've shown their sets (Doug and Bob)..... Wowza!

Ben Wilborn is building me a Nautilus with a Carpathian top and this set of Braz.

I'll have to confirm, but I think I'm on Leo Buendia's list for this year too. I haven't picked out woods, but I'm leaning towards Wenge B/S with some sort of spruce top.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
1) Three Kim Walker OMs. All Adi and Braz style 45. Identical except for the bridge pins. Fossilized walrus ivory, fossilized narwhal ivory, and bone from the deer that attacked John Thomas (who is, himself, something of a fossil).

2) A 23.5” scale length Traugott made entirely from the Tree. Braces, neck, top, fretboard, truss rod, tuning keys, truss rod. Even the molds he’ll be using for the sides will be made from the Tree.

3) A Style 200 Olson SJ. The back and sides will be mother of pearl inlaid with quartersawn Brazilian. He’ll be inlaying an image of James Taylor holding this very guitar. Trippy. The top will be aged 6 month old knotty pine. He’s going to inlay “Country Road”’ in a needlepoint design with mother of pearl.

4) TJ Thompson is going to be converting a 1930 Martin OM-28 in near mint condition to a Taylor 814 with mahogany top, back, and sides.

5) Ervin Somogyi will be making me an OM. The entire guitar will be assembled from perfect 1 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm cubes of Braz, mahogany, and spruce. He’s having his apprentices prepare the cubes now, but they are only allowed to use hand tools. All the wood is reclaimed from some old Somogyis I had laying around, of course.

6) And finally John Slobod will be making an OM-42 from Adi and Braz and a 00-12 in style 30 from the same.
It took me longer to realize that most of this was a joke than I care to admit... the JT inlay got me most of the way there, re-reading the OM-28 to 814 conversion about 12 times got me to the threshold, and the cubic Somogyi gave me much needed clarity.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-19-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Brook Moore is building me a mid-sized finger style oriented model, probably the model he calls the "Selkie". Set to commence around March. Top will be sinker cedar or spruce, back and sides will be Pernambuco. Also leaning towards a 25" scale. I'll plan to post a build thread once it's underway.

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 12-31-2022 at 03:11 PM. Reason: change of specs
Old 12-19-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Juston's post had me rolling, and those who've shown their sets (Doug and Bob)..... Wowza!

Ben Wilborn is building me a Nautilus with a Carpathian top and this set of Braz.

I'll have to confirm, but I think I'm on Leo Buendia's list for this year too. I haven't picked out woods, but I'm leaning towards Wenge B/S with some sort of spruce top.
That’s going to be a fantastic guitar! Love the wood.

You should have him cut into cubes and build it up, though.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
I see many new, to me, names of luthiers. The next generation? Good to see.
I’m curious which ones those are. If one of them is Michel Aboudib, he was building exceptional-sounding guitars even before his apprenticeship with Erwin Somogyi.

After attending multiple guitar shows this year, I would have to say that we are in a Golden Age of lutherie. So much talent, young and old.

I should add, this the koa set I selected for my guitar:

Last edited by sinistral; 12-19-2022 at 10:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop