The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2023, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Gibson Dove Original 2023

I stumbled upon some new Gibsons at my local shop and when I strummed this Gibson Dove Original, I was taken back. In fact, as I was tuning it up and enjoying the rich, bold lows and the projection, I thought I had grabbed the SJ200 that was hanging on the wall next to it.

The shop owner said he has had many Gibson Doves and none sounded this good. That's how I felt too.

Here is a comparison with a couple of my other acoustics. (I already posted this video in a thread comparing a few of my dreads.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-07-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I love those and think they sound great. Congrats on the new Dove.

They did a really good job on the book matching of the back. Pretty guitar.

+
Old 06-07-2023, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I had a feeling you wouldn't be letting that Dove go Gary. Beautiful guitar and sounds the same...especially in your capable hands...enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-07-2023, 12:13 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Good for you! Any guitar sounds great in your hands, my friend. Glad this one made the cut.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:21 PM

Congrats! Gibson acoustics don’t get enough love. Looks awesome - enjoy it!
Old 06-07-2023, 12:21 PM

Beautiful guitar, enjoy!

That’s a fine family photo also!
Old 06-07-2023, 01:50 PM

Default Pickguard

That is a beaut! Congratulations! You mentioned in another thread that you might change the pickguard. I love it as is - it's your guitar though. Enjoy it.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO! View Post
That is a beaut! Congratulations! You mentioned in another thread that you might change the pickguard. I love it as is - it's your guitar though. Enjoy it.
Thanks. Yeah, I will probably just enjoy it as-is. :-)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-07-2023, 02:56 PM

Not that anyone cares what I think, but to me the Dove sounds best. It has very clear note separation on all strings yet blends beautifully when chords are strummed. The Collings would be my next favorite with a sort of old school hog tone. The Martin doesn't do that much for me.

Nice collection and congrats on the new Dove it is a beauty.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 06-07-2023, 07:00 PM

Wow! What a great find! I’ve always loved the Dove!
Old 06-07-2023, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

for years now, i've always thoroughly enjoyed when i see a post from GRoberts and "NGD", because i know i'm going to see and hear a really great guitar from a really superior player who has great touch on stringed instruments.

not a slouch in that trio.

someone correct me, but i know for J-45's Gibson has recommended light gauge strings due to the light build, not sure about the square shoulder models but i would think that may have light gauge on it. I like Gibson brand strings on everything(phos bronze and 80/20), years ago read that they were made for Gibson by GHS, not sure if that is still the case.

i have always loved the look and sound of a Gibson Dove. I remember when Musicvilla demoed a Dove Frank Hannon signature model a few years ago and i was smitten with the tone of it. Its a very different tone than other brands of maple back/sides dreads imo. Its a very "alive" tone that fills the air with a richness. nothing harsh or overly bright to my ears. very clean notes with nice sustain.

all three very different and each offered a tonal range as such. i thought the Martin sounded rich and thick, yet clear and smooth. that Collings is a really great guitar in every way-i really like the Traditional series since owning an OM.

before you change that pickguard, thats a special part of the history and heritage of the Dove, give it some time because it does take a little while to adjust with the Gibson aesthetic when coming from the Martin/Collings background that you've had for years.

here's the video that hooked me and i have been hooked ever since

not to hijack the thread, but i really like these Dove models- the dialogue between Quentin and Paul touch on the pickguard style

Last edited by darylcrisp; 06-07-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
for years now, i've always thoroughly enjoyed when i see a post from GRoberts and "NGD", because i know i'm going to see and hear a really great guitar from a really superior player who has great touch on stringed instruments.

not a slouch in that trio.

someone correct me, but i know for J-45's Gibson has recommended light gauge strings due to the light build, not sure about the square shoulder models but i would think that may have light gauge on it. I like Gibson brand strings on everything(phos bronze and 80/20), years ago read that they were made for Gibson by GHS, not sure if that is still the case.

i have always loved the look and sound of a Gibson Dove. I remember when Musicvilla demoed a Dove Frank Hannon signature model a few years ago and i was smitten with the tone of it. Its a very different tone than other brands of maple back/sides dreads imo. Its a very "alive" tone that fills the air with a richness. nothing harsh or overly bright to my ears. very clean notes with nice sustain.

all three very different and each offered a tonal range as such. i thought the Martin sounded rich and thick, yet clear and smooth. that Collings is a really great guitar in every way-i really like the Traditional series since owning an OM.

before you change that pickguard, thats a special part of the history and heritage of the Dove, give it some time because it does take a little while to adjust with the Gibson aesthetic when coming from the Martin/Collings background that you've had for years.

here's the video that hooked me and i have been hooked ever since

Hey Daryl, Thanks for the kind words and for your thoughts. Honestly, I will mostly likely leave the pickguard alone and keep the guitar stock other than changing the PU to a Baggs Anthem or Baggs Hifi. I am not a fan of the Baggs VTC (which is the Element UST with a Vol/Tone soundhole module.

The Gibson Dove just kinda jumped out at me with its resonance, sustain and personality. It has a killer low end without being boomy or muddy. Yes, this guitar comes with light gauge .12 - .053 Gibson strings. They sound great and play well without being too lean like some guitars do when they have light gauge strings. I am super impressed.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-08-2023, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Very cool guitar. I’d leave it stock too.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-08-2023, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm happy for you. Glad I haven't run across one of those.

I'm a maple guy. J-200 Ultimate, J-185ec, and J-185RI.

I'm more partial to the shorter scale guitars.

But when you find one that sings to you. It's a wonderful thing.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I just finished listening while enjoying a coffee. Beautiful guitars and beautiful playing Gary. It made for a fine start to my day!

I really can’t pick a favorite. I found them to be like my favorite ice creams, all different but all equally enjoyable. I often go back and forth with my custom Martin OM28 and my new Gibson Historic 1942 Banner J45 and get the same feeling. You have a fantastic trio there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion