The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-07-2023, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

„……
Now when a guitar model has become so locally famous that a beer has been named after it you know you have arrived. Of course they misspelled the name

[/QUOTE]

Right ? ..should have been Graybeerd

Nnnnice guitar either way !

Last edited by Lonzo; 06-07-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:54 PM

Looks outstanding! I'm confident that it looks as good as it sounds.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
„……
Now when a guitar model has become so locally famous that a beer has been named after it you know you have arrived. Of course they misspelled the name

Nnnnice guitar either way ![/QUOTE]

Thank you Lonzo. And, let me add that I appreciate you noticing and commenting on the Graybeard ale. I thought it was mildly amusing but it seems not to have struck a responsive chord with most people, you being the exception
Old 06-07-2023, 04:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Looks outstanding! I'm confident that it looks as good as it sounds.
Thanks s2y. That is a new twist on the cliche of a guitar sounding as good as it looks and I choose to be flattered
Old 06-07-2023, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post

Love it, Lonzo, and I love the looks of this guitar!

I would even venture to guess that John has made a 6-pack of these fine Graybeards by now.

Awesome work and awesome guitars, John!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-07-2023, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Smile Graybeerd it is….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post

I would even venture to guess that John has made a 6-pack of these fine Graybeards by now.

I found it amusing too, but failed to comment here. Might have said so on the phone the other day.

I assumed you (John) have sampled the beer? I know you are happy with the guitar!

I keep coming back to ogle this. Even with three KILLER JKs here to whack! Hahah

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-07-2023, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I found it amusing too, but failed to comment here. Might have said so on the phone the other day.

I assumed you (John) have sampled the beer? I know you are happy with the guitar!

I keep coming back to ogle this. Even with three KILLER JKs here to whack! Hahah

Cheers

Paul
Glad to hear that I am not the only one coming back hear to staring at this beautiful guitar!

I am a bit jealous of Paul with 3 in his quiver!

I was going to comment on the Greybeard but I thought it may have just been John saying in a really nice way that I drove him to drink during the the build!
LOL!!
Old 06-08-2023, 04:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post

Thank you Nemoman! Not six yet, but when I do you can rest assured that I'm going to use your idea in some way. (the six pack idea that is)

Quote:

Cheers

Paul
I tried to talk you into one of these Paul. I do appreciate your never failing support and yes, I have "sampled" the Graybeard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL01 View Post
Glad to hear that I am not the only one coming back hear to staring at this beautiful guitar!

I am a bit jealous of Paul with 3 in his quiver!

I was going to comment on the Greybeard but I thought it may have just been John saying in a really nice way that I drove him to drink during the the build!
LOL!!
Ha, not a bit of it Shane. Its been a fun ride.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Got it today!!

The Graybeard made it in today and is just incredible!
Upon opening it up I wasn’t sure if I wanted to play it or put it in a hermetically sealed case and just stare at it. The pictures just do not even come close to doing this guitar justice. Since I don’t possess a hermetically sealed case I chose to play it.
There is a lot to go over here for anyone who has not played John’s guitars.
I consider myself a never ending student of sound and tone.
My ear for both far exceed my ability on guitar. I have been a percussionist for almost 40 years which bleeds into my guitar playing especially on acoustic.
I bring this up mainly to describe the guitar. It has a very deep bottom end that is piano like in tone with a very percussive punch while being extremely balanced.
It doesn’t sound like a just finished guitar. I cannot wait to hear what a few years of settling in and playing do for this. It does this without muddying the mids and treble. The high mids and treble are very chime like with a great sustain.
In short, I have never had the privilege of hearing a Stradivarius violin live to know what it sounds like but… it should sound like this!
Along with the great tone, it is one of only two acoustics that I have ever played where it needed no set up to suit my playing. I know this is completely different from person to person but there is something to be said for the way John sets these up. This guitar begs you to play it. It just feels good in the hand! This particular model is large but with the Manzer wedge and the bevels that John uses it just doesn’t feel big. It sounds big but plays like something much smaller in stature. No weird shoulder angle or elbow twist. Just a very natural playing position.
When you combine all of this with the artist ( which he is but is too humble to admit it ) being just a really good guy, you get a very hard to beat combination and it’s easy now to see why there are a number of his clients that have more than one of his builds. I am already mocking up ideas in my head!
Old 06-14-2023, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations, Shane! I think you described my brother and his work really well. Makes me proud, it does!

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-14-2023, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile

“This particular model is large but with the Manzer wedge and the bevels that John uses it just doesn’t feel big. It sounds big but plays like something much smaller in stature. No weird shoulder angle or elbow twist. Just a very natural playing position.
When you combine all of this with the artist ( which he is but is too humble to admit it ) being just a really good guy, you get a very hard to beat combination and it’s easy now to see why there are a number of his clients that have more than one of his builds. I am already mocking up ideas in my head!“

I can testify that this is all what I have experienced repeatedly with John’s instruments!

You are in for a real thrill ride as this opens up.

Go for it!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-15-2023, 03:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Congratulations, Shane! I think you described my brother and his work really well. Makes me proud, it does!

Thanks Brother...makes me blush it does.

SK
Quote:
The Graybeard made it in today and is just incredible!
Upon opening it up I wasn’t sure if I wanted to play it or put it in a hermetically sealed case and just stare at it. The pictures just do not even come close to doing this guitar justice. Since I don’t possess a hermetically sealed case I chose to play it.
There is a lot to go over here for anyone who has not played John’s guitars.
I consider myself a never ending student of sound and tone.
My ear for both far exceed my ability on guitar. I have been a percussionist for almost 40 years which bleeds into my guitar playing especially on acoustic.
I bring this up mainly to describe the guitar. It has a very deep bottom end that is piano like in tone with a very percussive punch while being extremely balanced.
It doesn’t sound like a just finished guitar. I cannot wait to hear what a few years of settling in and playing do for this. It does this without muddying the mids and treble. The high mids and treble are very chime like with a great sustain.
In short, I have never had the privilege of hearing a Stradivarius violin live to know what it sounds like but… it should sound like this!
Along with the great tone, it is one of only two acoustics that I have ever played where it needed no set up to suit my playing. I know this is completely different from person to person but there is something to be said for the way John sets these up. This guitar begs you to play it. It just feels good in the hand! This particular model is large but with the Manzer wedge and the bevels that John uses it just doesn’t feel big. It sounds big but plays like something much smaller in stature. No weird shoulder angle or elbow twist. Just a very natural playing position.
When you combine all of this with the artist ( which he is but is too humble to admit it ) being just a really good guy, you get a very hard to beat combination and it’s easy now to see why there are a number of his clients that have more than one of his builds. I am already mocking up ideas in my head!
Thanks for the great comments Shane. It's been a pleasure working with you. You had some great ideas for this project.

Quote:
“This particular model is large but with the Manzer wedge and the bevels that John uses it just doesn’t feel big. It sounds big but plays like something much smaller in stature. No weird shoulder angle or elbow twist. Just a very natural playing position.
When you combine all of this with the artist ( which he is but is too humble to admit it ) being just a really good guy, you get a very hard to beat combination and it’s easy now to see why there are a number of his clients that have more than one of his builds. I am already mocking up ideas in my head!“

I can testify that this is all what I have experienced repeatedly with John’s instruments!

You are in for a real thrill ride as this opens up.

Go for it!

Paul
Paul you are my ambassador of Kwan. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

SK
Thanks Steve! I have also seen some pretty nice guitars roll out of your shop.
Must be something in that Kinnaird blood!
Old 06-15-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks Steve! I have also seen some pretty nice guitars roll out of your shop.
Must be something in that Kinnaird blood!

Let me just say, more than some, in fact, I have more than some in my collection alone LOL!
Old 06-16-2023, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Let me just say, more than some, in fact, I have more than some in my collection alone LOL!
I stand corrected! LOL
I love this group. It makes me feel much better about my instrument habit!

Last edited by SRL01; 06-16-2023 at 09:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop