The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2023, 02:23 AM

Default Eastman e6 om tc Vs yamaha fs3

Hi everyone, I need help deciding which guitar to buy, unfortunately, in the area I can't find a yamaha fs3 and eastman e6om tc, on paper they are 2 similar guitars for used woods but I can't understand the sound differences as YouTube videos are too dependent on external factors such as the type of microphone, strings, environment and so on and so forth, I would like help from anyone who has had the opportunity to play both. Also online in Italy I would find the yamaha for 300 euros less
Thank you.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:45 AM

I'm trying to recall, I have played an E6OM but I don't know if it was the tc, and I've played a few FS3's. Both felt fine, the Eastman was unimpressive tonally to me, I do remember that. The Yamaha sounded preferable to me, however every FS3/5 I've played has had very bad intonation which I found odd, and I played all 4 on a couple different occasions and had a tuner with me and they indeed were all intonated poorly.
Those were my limited impressions.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:28 AM

thanks for the answer, can I ask when did you try the guitars? because your answer confused me even more and I hope you tried them a long time ago and now maybe they solved the problem you mention
Old 06-06-2023, 11:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've owned both. Although I am a BIG fan of Eastman, I have to say for my style of playing (80% finger style, 20% strumming, a wide range of music from jazz/latin to Americana and most everything in between) the Yamaha was the winner, if only for the fact that it had considerably more volume and resonance regardless of what I played. The Eastman was no slouch....but the Yamaha was markedly more interesting, for me at least. Of course, it totally could have been the two instruments I owned. But both companies are pretty consistent in terms of radical differences in sound, which is quite rare, model to model these days.

And at the risk of opening that huge can of worms again, you are 100% correct in saying that there are just too many variables when listening to recorded sound samples. (ducking my head now)

Gene
Old 06-06-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus69 View Post
thanks for the answer, can I ask when did you try the guitars? because your answer confused me even more and I hope you tried them a long time ago and now maybe they solved the problem you mention
This was a couple years ago probably
Old 06-06-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
This was a couple years ago probably
This is bad news that if confirmed makes me turn up my nose and I wouldn't know what to buy anymore

Last edited by Angus69; 06-06-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I've owned both. Although I am a BIG fan of Eastman, I have to say for my style of playing (80% finger style, 20% strumming, a wide range of music from jazz/latin to Americana and most everything in between) the Yamaha was the winner, if only for the fact that it had considerably more volume and resonance regardless of what I played. The Eastman was no slouch....but the Yamaha was markedly more interesting, for me at least. Of course, it totally could have been the two instruments I owned. But both companies are pretty consistent in terms of radical differences in sound, which is quite rare, model to model these days.

And at the risk of opening that huge can of worms again, you are 100% correct in saying that there are just too many variables when listening to recorded sound samples. (ducking my head now)

Gene
Thanks for sharing your experience, have you also heard a bad intonation on the yamaha? Because I don't think I've ever read it
Old 06-06-2023, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus69 View Post
Hi everyone, I need help deciding which guitar to buy, unfortunately, in the area I can't find a yamaha fs3 and eastman e6om tc, on paper they are 2 similar guitars for used woods but I can't understand the sound differences as YouTube videos are too dependent on external factors such as the type of microphone, strings, environment and so on and so forth, I would like help from anyone who has had the opportunity to play both. Also online in Italy I would find the yamaha for 300 euros less
Thank you.
Hi,
I have no experience with the Yamaha, but did own the Eastman
I found it too " open " sounding, not much focus....
so if you want a tight sound, I'd think about that...
I like to flatpick, and I thought the E 6 OM Tc was more of a strummer

with that said, I have an E6 SS TC that fits the bill more to my liking...
perhaps the slope shoulder dread shape...don't know.....

YMMV hope you find your bliss!
Old 06-08-2023, 02:46 AM

Thanks to all for the contribution, I think I'll go for Yamaha. Also, 300 euros less is not a small amount
Old 06-08-2023, 03:13 AM

A friend and accomplished player has a E6OM TC and it is one of the finest guitars I’ve heard. Build quality is exceptional and I never had played an Eastman before this one. Versatile instrument, I flatpick and it has surprising power and growl. I like it, the owner makes it shine finger style. It’s not quiet for sure. I am very happy with my Yamaha, they also make incredible guitars but the E6 would make me happier.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:56 AM

I suspect you'd find them fairly similar. For me the Yamaha has a little richer, more focused sound, but if you like growl you might prefer the Eastman. Eastman has come a long way over the past handful of years and has lots of fans here. Yamaha has enjoyed a solid reputation for decades. I don't think you can go wrong, but my vote would be the Yamaha.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-14-2023, 02:40 PM

Hi
In the past month, I tried many sitka/hog guitars as I was looking for a good one in this price range.
Amongst 000-like ones, the Eastman E6OMTc and Yamaha FS3/5 were the 2 I prefered, clearly.
I ended up with the FS3 because it was instant crush. Althought the E6 I tried a couple of weeks before made a great impression.

According to my taste, the FS3 felt more refined, soundwise.
Both are great for fingerpicking (FS3 better), and deals with strumming quite well (E6OM better)
The FS3 is focused, yet pleasurely clear. She's light and reacts fast.
I'd say the Eastman was more... raw, in a good sense. Direct.

String spacings are in the same ballpark it seemed to me.
And the yam was 400€ less, which didn't hurt

At the end, it's a matter of taste, both being great guitars!
Have fun with your guitar chase!
Old 06-20-2023, 03:57 PM

Sorry for the delay, thank you all for the contribution, given the comments and the much lower cost I opt for the yamaha. Thanks again
Old 06-28-2023, 11:46 AM

Finally the yamaha fs3 has arrived, I can't compare it with the eastman, but it has a full and powerful sound for its size, centered on mids but not free from precise bass and treble not cutting but sharp ... I am happy with my purchase and also at orca 800 € I think I got a real bargain. Of course those plastic pins are to be thrown away immediately but I certainly can't complain. Thanks to the suggestions in this wonderful forum I am happy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion